Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Argh.  (Read 2159 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Argh.
« on: May 30, 2010, 01:04:36 pm »

Stupid soldier spends a few *years* half-naked, never training.  He claims to have a metal helm, but last I checked, groundhog leather wasn't metal.

Then of course he dies from a blow to the head.

Draft my miner, who immediately drops his pick and goes to war empty-handed.

Save-scum time.  Losing because I screwed up or pushed the boundaries is fun.  What's killing me here is a chickadee that flew in -- I'm fine with getting my fortress trashed by a chickadee.  It's fun that he went through and tore my almost-operational magma pump stack to bits and so on.  It's not so fun that my dwarves are too dumb to even put up a fight.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Argh.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 03:40:10 pm »

If you've save-scummed back to before your soldier died... is he a procrastinator?  Because dorfs with that characteristic will never pick up a weapon or do individual combat training, making them useless as soldiers.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:57:27 am »

My captain of the guard, for 17 years, became a legendary speardwarf, shield user, armor user, fighter etc.  Then decided to go commando with no weapons.  And now he's a legendary wrestler.

He's the leader of a squad, set to metal armor--most have a mix of steel and adamantine.  he's so bad he is protected by bloodstains and goo, and pus.  When his squad is sent to combat--he stays in the barracks, practicing.  He'll take the time off to eat in his dining room and stare at the zoo now and then, but otherwise.. the guy must have been hit in the head because he won't do anything else..  I feel a little funny arranging an accident for him because it's year like 1072 now and he's been the captain of the guard since 1053, and there are endless engravings and cloth images and artifacts and statues of his becoming captain of the guard, his felling of foul foes, his love of cows. 
igless

EyeOfNundinate

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you remember the lost Nundinates?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 01:21:59 am »

Either you make do with what you got, use a game exploit to outfit him, or just send him to the depths of Armok's abyssal hell.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 01:47:56 am »

Best thing to do for rebellious dwarfs who refuse to outfit themselves appropriately is just to let natural selection sort it out.  You don't need that shit in your gene pool.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:54:34 am »

As for the miner, choose "Specific Weapon" on the equip screen and choose his pick - that will force him to use it to fight with.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 10:38:59 am »

ahh the natural selection is the hard part.  I think manual selection will be required.

I would disband the squad and put in a new leader, but I don't want to go through the hassle.  Besides, if a raccoon makes it into the area where he is training, he has it covered!

Speaking of which, I recently had a raccoon make off with a +adamantine mail shirt+".  BOGUS.  I endlessly wonder why the soldiers drop their items wherever.  What's worse is when one becomes attached to an item, its automatically forbidden, then they drop it.  I find these things on accident all over my map and unforbid them and hope someone comes to pick them up.
igless

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 02:33:07 pm »

As for the miner, choose "Specific Weapon" on the equip screen and choose his pick - that will force him to use it to fight with.
Wouldn't that prevent him from using the pick for his civilian job?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 02:49:53 pm »

Speaking of which, I recently had a raccoon make off with a +adamantine mail shirt+".  BOGUS.  I endlessly wonder why the soldiers drop their items wherever.  What's worse is when one becomes attached to an item, its automatically forbidden, then they drop it.  I find these things on accident all over my map and unforbid them and hope someone comes to pick them up.

Blind newbie guess: I've heard something about setting weapon and armor stands to "individual equipment" or something so that they'll use them.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 11:56:49 pm »

ahh the natural selection is the hard part.  I think manual selection will be required.

I would disband the squad and put in a new leader, but I don't want to go through the hassle.

So you'd rather kill your multiple-legendary captain of the guard in an elaborate death device of some sort than rejigger his squad to see if that fixes his issues?

I've redone entire squads plenty of times to get around the death-doesn't-remove-squad-members bug...
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 06:26:05 am »

Wouldn't that prevent him from using the pick for his civilian job?

My starting axedwarf runs around chopping wood and hacking regular beasties with the same axe with no problem during the first year or so until I get enough dwarfs to let him do individual training for the rest of his life.

I have had issues with equipment where a dwarf would have a civilian and military weapon of some kind but that doesn't seem to be necessary any more than carrying five weapons in one hand.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 12:17:50 pm »

A FB chickadee, I assume, otherwise your butt's getting kicked by a bird smaller than a house sparrow, one that should qualify as vermin.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 07:59:21 pm »

ACtually I've let the captain of the guard just endlessly train.  He's a legendary speardwarf, shield user, fighter, wrestler, dodger... By never doing anything else he's the most legendary dwarf in the fort!  And there are endless carvings about him.

The squads go to combat and dont seem to care he's not around.  Someone even made a statue of him embracing a cow, which adorns his dining room.
igless

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 10:46:23 pm »

So, I lied.  The miner went back for his pick after I fixed things, and killed the poor little chickadee, with help from the bonecarver (the chickadee was busy carving the bonecarver, allowing the miner to mine into its back).  4 dead, but the fortress survived; OK.  Next step, a hornet flew in through the same opening (I didn't even have time to plug it) and attacked the mason.  During the attack, the bonecarver died of dehydration because he'd woken up repeatedly during surgery, knocking him out of "rest" and into "no-job."  All the deaths meant my miner threw a tantrum, and became happier after punching "someone" -- the hornet.  Again, the hornet was defeated by having the other soldier get eaten while the miner killed the prey.  This time, though, the other soldier did fine.  So the miner went to train.

Great, now I have no miner.

With so many bugs getting in my way, I'll put this away for a bit and enjoy the summer weather; by fall the game will be more workaroundable.  I *love* the new features; but I hate the new bugs.