Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aqua Genocide Project.  (Read 854 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Aqua Genocide Project.
« on: May 30, 2010, 05:29:11 am »

I'm gonna drain a river to the underground caverns.Anyone tried that?

Edit:I know it'll kill my fps,but it has to be done.FOR SCIENCE!
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Aqua Genocide Project.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 05:44:24 am »

Okay.I drained a river into the caverns.Unfortunately the caverns were mainly underground lakes and there was no wildlife that lived on the ground.
Things I found out.

-It's not all that bad for FPS.
-Water flows really quickly.It was flowing from a vertical tunnel to a lake,and you could get a 3/7 over a 7/7 even if there is land on the same level

Things to do:

-Do that with a more ground-y cave,with more wildlife.
-Do the same with a volcano.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:02:29 am »

I found a land-cavern.Apparently,It's not as amusing as it sounds.The corners drain away the water from the map and makes it very hard to actually drown anything. :|

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 06:50:12 am »

Do the caverns 'fill up' or are they effectively bottomless? Otherwise, considering rivers are an endless flow, I can see that causing problems for a fort. :P
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 07:54:46 am »

Yeah, water is annoying. I have a waterfall through my dining room and once I created a draniange canal that reached the edge of the map, the water never got above 4/7 because it was draining instantly.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:09:26 am »

Term 'genocide' immediately got my attention. One little advice - it is possible to seal caves via masonry. If you have enough twisted corridors a bit of creative wall-building can gift you with enough water to actually drown something.

Suggestion - drain a lake-cave into a dry-cave. Use massive pump stacks if necessary.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 08:40:02 am »

Do underground lakes that touch the edge act as a "water sink" like Aquifers do, or do you have to use the map edge? I'm considering some indoor waterworks with a lake above.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 08:47:15 am »

Answers:

Caverns fill up,unless there are offmap edges.

I haven't tried sealing a cave.

Lakes aren't water sinks.You can have a water tile on a lake tile.Cavern lakes act pretty much like a hole filled with water.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 09:01:03 am »

Map-edge tiles on a water level act just like aquifers do. As the amount of water off the map is for the game's purposes unlimited as it does not track it, if you drain water from the caverns they will always refill, and likewise if you add water to a cavern lake it will never overflow unless you pressurize it, as the excess will automatically be flushed off the map. Same thing applies for aboveground lakes, rivers, oceans, etc. I believe the same thing goes for the magma sea as well.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:02:32 am »

Map-edge tiles on a water level act just like aquifers do. As the amount of water off the map is for the game's purposes unlimited as it does not track it, if you drain water from the caverns they will always refill, and likewise if you add water to a cavern lake it will never overflow unless you pressurize it, as the excess will automatically be flushed off the map. Same thing applies for aboveground lakes, rivers, oceans, etc. I believe the same thing goes for the magma sea as well.
Oh,that's why.Cause my water was pressurized.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 09:13:14 am »

I've done this - it's quite fun. I managed to drown quite a lot of crundles.
It was a "dry" cavern, i.e, no underground lake - it did start to fill up after a while.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:15:46 am by Dr. Melon »