Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What, in Armok's bloody name, is a Honeyeater!?  (Read 1956 times)

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What, in Armok's bloody name, is a Honeyeater!?
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:58:47 pm »

"The forgotten beast Iwo has come!  A towering beakless honeyeater.  It has a long, swinging trunk and it is slavering.  Its yellow-green feathers are patchy.  Beware its poisonous gas!"

Okay, yet another forgotten beast, luckily not an inorganic one.  I've never seen a "honeyeater" before so I decide to look it up on the wiki.  It's not there, so I go through all the creature raws, nothing comes up when searching for "honey" in any of them.  It's a giant yellow capital "H", so no help there, and I don't know parts would actually be part of it since it's a forgotten beast, and therefore a complete random mess.

Is this beast a hummingbird with a massive elephant trunk?  Or some sort of monstrous, honey loving bear, a Lovecraftian Winy the Pooh!?  I'm confused!
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: What, in Armok's bloody name, is a Honeyeater!?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:02:09 pm »

Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 10:16:07 pm »

Ah, thank you.  Well, it's dead now, only killed one soldier.  Now I get to watch and see what the gas does to the rest of my military.  :D

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:18:33 pm »

The forgotten beast generator apparently has some rather obscure/unknown animals as base for its creations.

We currently have a pangolin sealed off in a cavern in a succession game.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:23:07 pm »

Its an African bird I believe.

Anyways, there are lots of animals that are hardcoded and appear as demons whicn don't exist in the vanilla DF. Some are creatures which are in DF though, such as a wolf fiend that I saw walking around the depths after I had opened up the adamantine chimmney, From the description, it was pretty much a werewolf with some color fur.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 10:24:07 pm »

The forgotten beast generator apparently has some rather obscure/unknown animals as base for its creations.

We currently have a pangolin sealed off in a cavern in a succession game.

Aw, yeah. Captain Corelli's Pangolin was a fantastic movie.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 10:35:17 pm »

It's really this.

http://www.sfsignal.com/mt-static/images/poohthlu.jpg

Close, but this horror has a trunk, and patchy greenish-yellow feathers.

Anyways, it seems that all the gas did was make everyone vomit for a while, coating my fort in bile.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 10:40:44 pm »

On the plus side, these random obscure animals seem to be pushovers.  The fire-breathing hornbill from the depths died in one shot at my fort.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 10:48:23 pm »

On the plus side, these random obscure animals seem to be pushovers.  The fire-breathing hornbill from the depths died in one shot at my fort.

And a source of massive amounts of meat.  I'm gonna need way more storage space/barrels for my meat stores now that I butchered Iwo for 300+ meat, and that's not counting the fat and intestines and such.  Oh, and as soon as the butchering task finishes, I'm assaulted by Enira, a huge, but emaciated, slug with patchy chocolate colored feathers.  Oh, and deadly blood.

Anyways, someone should make a wiki page listing all the available forgotten beasts just for completion's sake.

Edit:  Okay, why does every forgotten beast that warns me of it's deadly blood happen to have ichor, not blood?  Does it just say blood because?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:10:44 pm by Alkyon »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 11:12:52 pm »

I can see the honeyeater's evolutionary pattern now; generate a foul stench strong enough to cause your opponents to retch, then lap up the vomit using a long, prehensile trunk within your beak while the predators are incapacitated. In this fashion, it could have effectively leeched your fortresses vomit until the dwarves all starved to death.

Good thing you killed this endangered species.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »

Maybe it just had bad gas?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:59:07 am »

Hi!

Which shouldn't come as a surprise. After all, let's be honest, how many of us knew any details about half the stones that are integrated in this game.

I guess if it went commercial, it would require to come with an encyclopedia you could access during game play just to find out what real life facts have just been presented to the virgin fields of your brain.

Deathworks

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 03:45:48 am »

Hi!

Which shouldn't come as a surprise. After all, let's be honest, how many of us knew any details about half the stones that are integrated in this game.

I guess if it went commercial, it would require to come with an encyclopedia you could access during game play just to find out what real life facts have just been presented to the virgin fields of your brain.

Deathworks

A Civilopedia Dwarfapedia?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 08:24:19 am »

Hi!

Deathworks

A Civilopedia Dwarfapedia?
I think that would take up almost a quarter of your HD, with DF taking up another half.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: [1] 2