Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is my graphics card dying?  (Read 1941 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is my graphics card dying?
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:55:36 pm »

So, I don't often ask much of my graphics card, which is good, because it's several years old. But I do like to play some of Valve's games: Portal, Team Fortress 2, etc. Unfortunately, every time I try and open one of these lovely graphics intensive programs lately, a fan inside my computer case starts spinning up to a very high pitch, and then the computer freezes and the screen starts displaying odd graphic artifacts, like white areas splitting into out of sync red, green, and blue patches, and regular patterns of off color pixels all over the screen. These will flash around a little bit, and eventually the computer will give an error-beep from the tower and restart.

So, am I right in thinking that this is the graphics card spazzing out? I don't get this sort of problem with just processor loading. And I only hear that fan when I'm playing graphics-rich games.

Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is my graphics card dying?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:02:14 pm »

Whats your comp stats (including the graphics card) and when was the last update to the graphics card?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 10:05:56 pm »

Some newer graphic cards have a screen interface where you can manually control the fan speed, or the max processing output. It may be factory set to start gushing out max performance once a program demands even a little output. How are your drivers?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:33:15 pm »

Every ATI model card I've had, I needed to alter the fan speed manually or the system would crash within minutes if playing any of the games you mentioned.  I typically have to set it to at least 70% fan speed.  The automatic-based-on-temperature never worked well for me.
igless

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 01:22:19 am »

++ to overheating. Check your case's airflow, and see if you can adjust fan speed.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 02:43:30 am »

unplug your PC, take it to your shed/back yard/whatever, and clean all of the crap out of it. Dust, mainly, hopefully.
Magma is overrated.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:33:37 pm »

I had a rabbit in there one time.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 09:56:31 pm »

Dust, airflow and heat. Touch the back of your graphics card next time you have a crash like this. Too hot to touch? Too hot to play.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:15:03 pm »

Dust, airflow and heat. Touch the back of your graphics card next time you have a crash like this. Too hot to touch? Too hot to play.
This seems probable to me. I live in a dusty area and my computer is unavoidably situated in a low-airflow spot. I'll see if I can get my hands on some compressed air and give things a going over, maybe it'll help.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 05:40:53 am »

Compressed air is a gimmick, just very lightly wipe parts down with a light cotton rag and some Q-tips.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 05:54:51 am »

I use a hair dryer to blow dust out of my computer case.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 10:06:10 am »

Or just use paintbrushes if no compressed air is available.
Heat can be a very serious problem to computers.
But when it starts to display various graphic artifacts...then it's probably already half-fried.
Clean up the fan, and if necessary, install a couple additional fan on the case to improve airflow.
And make sure to replace the thermal paste/pad if you removed the fan and heatsink in the progress.
Check CPU fan as well! If the graphic card fan got all that dusty...Good luck with that.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 02:49:19 pm »

Or just use paintbrushes if no compressed air is available.
Heat can be a very serious problem to computers.
But when it starts to display various graphic artifacts...then it's probably already half-fried.
Clean up the fan, and if necessary, install a couple additional fan on the case to improve airflow.
And make sure to replace the thermal paste/pad if you removed the fan and heatsink in the progress.
Check CPU fan as well! If the graphic card fan got all that dusty...Good luck with that.
Yeah, I'm not going to mess around with fan installations and thermal paste. About the most I'm comfortable messing around with inside a computer is removing dust and reseating RAM.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 02:39:17 pm »

have you tried updating the drivers?