Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Artifact Suggestions  (Read 11350 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact Suggestions
« on: April 11, 2008, 03:13:00 am »

Alright I searched for this and I didn’t find anyone who posted it (but I am probably wrong). So many of my ideas were done so far. So I know that Toady (and MANY other people) wants Artifacts to be… well… Artifacts… To be items of power and magic. Which tells me that he is probably waiting for the magic arc before even bothering. So in an attempt to contribute I have made a list of possible effect ideas; not all of them equal.

Please note that for this I assume that nearly any item in the game can be turned into an artifact. I think part of my problem is that I kind of play it safe… Very few of these artifacts are things you would actually take down a kingdom to get. Ill make that list later I guess. Perhaps Artifacts can have lesser and greater effects.

So here is my list of Artifact effects which I have also named. (Please don’t judge entirely on the name). They are all beneficial so far. I am not easy on the programming though… some of these would never make it based upon the fact that they practically rewrite codes.

Universal: These may be given to any object despite type
-Seal of Friendship: If given to a Caravan it will greatly boost your relationship with that civilization. This will even go beyond what the race would normally allow.
-Weightless: The object is rather weightless or at least rather light.
-Warm: The Object gives off heat giving warmth in cold climates, though somewhat risky if you’re going glacier.
-Menacing: These make attackers more fearful and easier to drive away.
-Paragon: As long as this item exists all items of the exact same type will always have a minimum quality level.

Furniture: Statues, chairs, beds, and tables… USELESS for adventurers but for a Fortress it “should” be invaluable.
-Of Happiness: Using the object brings great joy and counts as an additional positive memory

Statues:
-Living: When placed down the statue comes to live and is considered a fully functional member of society if a bit powerful. More useful as a soldier then a worker.
-Tinkling/Spitting: The Statue gives off water, effectively making a nice fountain.
-Magna Carta: If placed in a Noble’s room it eases on mandates and penalties become more relaxed.
-Guard: The Statue will alarm you of enemies or dangerous animals as if they were the appropriate Dwarf.
-Watching: Attacking enemies have a chance to go mad and attack their own. Does not deactivate in Adventure mode (Dun dun dun)

Coffin: Note that these SHOULD be amplified by who you put into them.
-Eternal Loyalty: A Dwarf buried in this coffin will occasionally come back to life as a ghost and perform occasional services for dying or desperate dwarfs (it will feed a starving dwarf or wrestle attacking goblins). In Adventure mode you can speak to the Coffin to obtain information on the fort.
-Tribute: The Coffin occasionally spawns something of interest as a gift from the afterlife. If the person was a Farmer you could receive a plant, if he was a king perhaps a gold crown.
-Moving on: It has the occasional chance to negate grief caused by death. They will still receive the memory but will not care “My Wife died today in a lava accident, it was sad but I moved on”
-Dream Walker: In relation to dreams (when it comes out). The person inside has a chance to come into a person’s dreams and improve their mood.
-Hungry: Enemies passing by this coffin may get swallowed whole (as if it was a trap). It will show their names. It can still be used as a Coffin and can include multiple bodies.
-Creepy: The Coffin will give out Dwarf bones occasionally if someone is buried.
-Resurrection: Anyone placed in this Coffin will resurrect in a years (or more) time. In Adventure mode you could find yourself brought into this coffin.
-Reincarnation: When someone is placed into this Coffin a random tame animal pops out.

Bed:
-Catnap: Dwarves barely have to touch this bed to gain benefit of a full night sleep
-Sleepwalking: Dwarves that fall asleep will walk in their sleep towards this bed.
-Sleepwalking 2: Dwarves that use this bed will walk to a location where they are needed.
-Sexuality: Dwarves that sleep in these beds have a chance to have a child with someone they have a relationship with even if it isn’t up to lover.
-Spartan (bad name): Dwarves who sleep in this bed are tougher until their next nap.
-Silent: Dwarves won’t complain about noise while sleeping in this bed.

Door:
-Thief Proof: Thieves such as kobolds cannot instantly open these doors and you will get an alert when they attempt to do so.
-Magic Portal: It has a chance of instantly sending a Dwarf instantly where he needs to go.
-Acceleration: Dwarfs who pass through this gate have increased speed for a short period of time.
-Vicious: Enemies who pass through this door have a chance to be attacked
-Speaking: They Console Dwarves and make them more happy. In Adventure mode they can be used to gain information on the fort by speaking to them.

Chest:
-Mimic: Thieves who try to steal from this Chest get their arm chopped off. Not friendly adventure mode.
-Memory Chest: Dwarves will occasionally store their happy and unhappy thoughts inside this chest. You can give them to other dwarves. In Adventure Mode these contain information on the Fortress.

Chains (the jail effects):
-Revolving: Sentences are short and sweet and effective.
-Community Service: Dwarves will still proceed to work but won’t be as effective.
-Tough lessons: Dwarves sentenced will train in combat or mining.

Waterskin:
-Purification: Stagnant water is no longer a concern
-Endless: It can hold much more water then it should be capable of while not weighing more.
-Torrent: When applied on an enemy it drowns them.

Weapon Universal:
-Friendly: The Weapon cannot harm other dwarves. Valuable for training and Ballista ammo.
-Vengeance: If anyone strikes down the Dwarf/Adventurer who holds this it will chase down the enemy and relentlessly attack until they die. In Adventure mode it will kill whoever kills you and will be recorded in his history.
-Digging/Woodcutting: This weapon can be used to dig or cut despite not being the appropriate tool.

Armor Universal:
-Organ Replacement: Organs no longer can be struck and limbs can no longer be severed. (only for appropriate part, a Boot won’t protect your brain).
-Invincible: Has a chance outside of your skill set to deflect a blow.
-Stretch: Can fit anyone regardless of size
-Ricochet: the Armor has a chance of sending an attack back to its source.

Helm:
-Commanding Presence: While a commander wears this, those under him will not receive bad moods from death during battles or sieges.

Well (If an artifact bucket is used… I don’t know if Buckets can be artifacts):
-Timmyless: Dwarves no longer fall down the well
-Alcoholic: Well water has a chance to be alcoholic (or is alcoholic)
-Wishing: One of the Dwarves’ possessions has a chance to transform into the material of his liking.
-Charity: The Well will cost money though penniless dwarves may still use it.
-Misty: The Well produces a mist that makes dwarves happy
-Healing: The Well has especially powerful healing properties

Well that is all I have time for… What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:29:31 pm by Neonivek »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aritfact Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

It's been suggested, and when Toady gets around to the Magic Arc some of this kind of stuff will show up.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

A lot of those are pretty creative and well thought out.  A worthwhile post!...even though all that stuff is still waiting for the Magic Arc, yeah.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

Very well written! I actually hope some of these show up in the game.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

I think a few of these would be non-implementable, but by and large they sound great!  I especially like the statue effects.

Also: it could be that you don't know what an artifact does until it's actually used.  Think about that!

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

These are amazing. I especially like the eternal loyalty coffin.

vanarbulax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:19:00 pm »

Well of booze is a must have. This stuff would really make artifacts more than just name + price and instead actually have a benefit your fort.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

So much good ideas... how impressive !
Toady should keep this text somewhere until the artifact arc, it's worth it.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »

pure adamantium which menaces with spikes of gold.
The New Moo!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

Well I guess Ill continue the list… I am surprised I got such positive feedback (wonder if Toady is looking) but I just hope I didn’t get luck and just stumble upon good ideas last time. I do notice a lot of these repeat.

Chairs:
-Massage: Dwarves receive some sleep while sitting upon this chair allowing them to work longer
-Magisterial: Has the occasional chance to eliminate a demand made by its Noble owner.
-Transporter: It will transport dwarfs to its location if they tend to use it for food or other reasons.
-Escape Route: When enemies travel into the room the dwarf inside will be teleported to a safe location.
-Buttons: This Chair can be linked to traps and works like a speedy lever.

Table:
-Generous: The Table occasionally creates a meal for a Dwarf to eat
-Speed Dating: Parties are much quicker but no less effective allowing dwarfs to get back to work quickly
-Drunken: Those attending a party involving this table will get drunk
-Fine: Meals eaten on this table are always considered of the finest quality.
-Clay board: Occasionally when used a dwarf will also create a “Clay” craft
-Blueprints: A Dwarf that eats on this table occasionally come up with a blueprint and the next object they create will be of masterwork quality.

Floodgate:
-One way: Dwarves can pass through this floodgate though water cannot.
-Empathic: The gate can be opened and closed by a dwarf with but a thought.
-Shallow: The gate can control the flow of water and can flood the area only 1/7th the way up. It does the same for Lava but is not as useful.
-Processing: When used for water it occasionally will drop fish, when used with Lava it will occasionally drop Obsidian.
-Lifeguard: The Floodgate will spew out a dwarf who fall into the waters and has a chance to save a dwarf who falls into Lava.
-Inhale: The Floodgate can force enemies into the Water or Lava
-Dam: The Floodgate produces power
-Necromantic gate: The Gate when opened occasionally spawns skeletons under your control. They give negative thoughts to dwarves and can cause tantrums over time if not placed out of sight.

Note: Non-armor Artifacts that you wear are hard to think of… mostly because they should be useful enough to risk not wearing the appropriate armor even if it itself was an artifact.

Crown:
-Ruler of Waters: The Wearer can breathe water
-Ruler of Air: The Wearer has limited flying ability
-Ruler of Dwarves: If the leader wears this then dwarves are less likely to tantrum. In Adventure mode it makes dwarves more co-operative and more likely to give you aid.
-Ruler of Goblins: This powerful artifact makes Goblins ignore you and be pleasant. However it has no effect over demons that ignore this effect.
-Ruler of Fire: You no longer are burned by Lava or normal fire. But Fire based attacks are still harmful
-Crown of Seasons: On the appropriate season the wearer gains great powers
-Ruler of Ice: You are immune to the cold; if you are frozen you will thaw when appropriate.
-Wrath: The crown can shoot blasts of pure wrath upon your enemies harming them.
-Heir/Husbandry: All Children born from the being wearing this are born with impressive skills and attributes.
-Dominance: Has the occasional chance of forcing the enemy/animal under your control
-Ruler of Nature: Animals will ignore you

Bracelet:
-Lucky Star: Those wearing this receive incredible luck effectively rising their success rates.
-Power Band: This increases the wearer’s strength many times.
-Reptilian Regeneration: You heal at an incredible rate and can regrow bodyparts. Can cause side-effects.
-Salt-bangle: The wearer may safely drink salt-water

Instruments:
-Call forth the sun: Wakes everyone who can hear the music. Useful in sieges
-Moonlit Song: Puts enemies to sleep
-Inspiring: Those who hear the song get temporary positive memories and have a chance to go into trances
-Perfectly Horrible: The Instrument causes pain and can cause fainting

Mug:
-Nectar of the Gods: Drinking from the mug makes the drinker more alert and awake.

Well that is all I am going to do for now… What do you think?

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

quote:
-Timmyless: Dwarves no longer fall down the well

LOL.  You win for that one.

When I clicked this I was thinking "mm, nice idea, but no", and then I thought "a lot of these are very creative and well-thought-out" and now I actually think a number of these would work out really well, especially since I think (hope) that magic when implemented should be focused in this sort of area, rather than D&D fireballs and stuff.  They don't have to be big effects, but they improve fortress life in their own little ways. I like the idea of magic/mystic artifacts having little descriptors that show when you view them- like yours, or perhaps a short sentence- which give a clue to but don't spell out what power the artifact has.  And for preference, lots of different ones.  Nice post!

Oh, and how about a musical instrument like the ones in real life folk tales that plays itself when its homeland is threatened (ie warns of sieges in advance?)

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

Also how about some double-edged (or downright negative) ones that are only produced by the darker moods?  Perhaps as well as 'generic' effects there could be sub-sets of rarer ones specific to each type of mood, even.

[ April 12, 2008: Message edited by: McDoomhammer ]

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

You didn't include any for mechanisms!  Those are, like, the most fun of all!

- Powerful: If used in a weapon trap, the trap cannot get jammed.
- Switches: If used in a lever, the lever pulls itself.
- Durable: No matter what it's made of, it is now magma-proof.
- Motivated: The device it is placed into produces power.

And clothes are easy to think of.  You just have to think less Zelda and more ADOM or Nethack.  Shoes of speed, hats of protection against cave-ins, gloves of power, cloaks of protection, (dwarves wear cloaks with armor... right?) and pants of kicking (grants a primary unarmed attack that does lotsa damage).  Heh.

Heck, wearable artifacts could even give RANDOM effects, generated by the computer by picking one thing from each of several lists.  Maybe.  This would make some... wacky artifacts.  But they'd do this kind of thing.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 06:22:00 am »

Interesting! I hope Toady will read this!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

Mechanisms?

Alright I guess

Mechanisms (Trap)
-Invisible: the Trap will not show to enemies even after being seen set off
-Thief Proof: the trap/plate can now be set off by thieves.
-Boulder fall trap: Stone fall trap now has the power of a collapsing ceiling. Not only deadly to the recipient but the sound causes incredible pain to those in the area
-Rearm: The Trap will rearm itself over time without the need of a mechanic
-Attractive: The Trap (or trigger) will attract enemies towards it
-Multi: All traps carry multiple weapon materials.
-Amputation: The trap always takes out a limb or organ even if it does no damage.
-Poisonous: The trap carries poison
-Empathy: Enemies who see their ally get hit by the trap will receive damage as well (Brain damage?)

Cages (as traps)
-Wheeled: The Trap has a relaxed aim and will strike an enemy if they are close to the area.
-Giant: It is capable of trapping all enemies in a area of effect spawning extra cages as needed.
-Subjugate: those trapped by the cage are brought under your control near instantly
-Attractive: Creatures are attracted to your trap and will even lie under it in order to be caught.
-Chambered: The Cage can catch multiple enemies continuously if it is set up as such.
-Masochism: The Cage will slowly kill those inside however it will periodically drop meat, bones, skulls, and blood to much greater degrees then one would produce from such.

Cages (as amusement)
-Sparring: Dwarves when looking at the cages will occasionally spar with the creature inside gaining combat skill
-Imitation: Dwarves learn skills from caged creatures such as swimming from fish.
-Diagramed: Anything made from the same creature type will always be of a minimum quality.
-Sociology: Your dwarves will gain bonus fighting the same creature as the one captured.

Chains (For Animal holding)
-Tangled: The chain also grapples enemies while the animal attacks
-Retributive: The being that kills the animal held by this chain will itself be chained
-Immortality: Animals attached to said chain will never age
-Supreme Immortality: As with above except if they die, they will rise again in a year’s time
-Evolution: An animal chained will slowly grow in power and size
-Shambling: The chain’s rattling occasionally drives enemies away or insane
-Invisible: The chain always seems to have an animal attached that will attack enemies
-Invisible 2: The animal attached to the chain will be ignored.
-Friends Forever: Animal killed while attached to the chain will revive as a member of the undead, though once killed after that they are gone forever.
-Incentive: An animal will occasionally walk up to this chain and tie itself up pledging its loyalty towards you
-Anthropomorphic: Animals attached to the chain gain the ability to wield weapons and wear armor and in Adventure mode they gain the ability to speak to reveal information on the fort and others.
-Humanoid: You may chain humanoids that will loyal as long as they are on the chain. They can be saved by their allies. A Kobold can be saved by a Kobold but not a Goblin

What do you think?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8