Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 165

Author Topic: League of Legends  (Read 165677 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends
« Reply #1305 on: March 24, 2011, 02:44:10 pm »

I play as Maokai now primarily... People bitch at me for picking a bad tank champ. Then I go 6/4/23 and they say they carried me.
It's pretty hard to bring Mao down even if you focus him... And I try my hardest not to be ignored. Luckily their squishies weren't smart enough to stay in the back, and by the time they noticed I had them rooted with Yi killing them my ult was up and I was moving on to the next one.

You have to get inside your opponent's head when you tank... It's not an easy job and the KDR isn't glorious, but it really benefits the team when enemy Mundo finally realizes how little damage he does on his own.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: March 24, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »

You have to get inside your opponent's head when you tank... It's not an easy job and the KDR isn't glorious, but it really benefits the team when enemy Mundo finally realizes how little damage he does on his own.

If Mundo isn't doing good damage, he's doing something wrong.  Between cleavers, burning agony, and masochism, he does an even mix of ad and ap damage totalling well over 300 a second without any damage items. 

It's not insanely high as with a dedicated dps, but when it takes 5-6 seconds of focus from at least 3 enemies to bring him down and much of his damage is aoe, it adds up to a lot.  Many times I have engaged 3-4 enemies on my own and sent them away with no kills but all of them at less than half their health... and 20 seconds later I heal to full again while pushing a lane when they're still healing in base.

Not only that, but his cleavers being a percentage-based ranged attack means the enemy should be softened up at all times before a committed battle begins.  When I play Mundo, you better drop some major cc on me in a team fight or I will kill or drive away your high damage squishies before they can contribute anything.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: March 24, 2011, 04:57:20 pm »

Tanking is indeed a thankless job, and it just hurts when initiating as a tank winds up slaying you while the rest of your team aces. It's definitely beneficial, but most people only look at KDR anyways.
I find declaring in all chat that you regret nothing when that happens goes a long way towards making people recognize your role in it.

If Mundo isn't doing good damage, he's doing something wrong.  Between cleavers, burning agony, and masochism, he does an even mix of ad and ap damage totalling well over 300 a second without any damage items. 

It's not insanely high as with a dedicated dps, but when it takes 5-6 seconds of focus from at least 3 enemies to bring him down and much of his damage is aoe, it adds up to a lot.  Many times I have engaged 3-4 enemies on my own and sent them away with no kills but all of them at less than half their health... and 20 seconds later I heal to full again while pushing a lane when they're still healing in base.

Not only that, but his cleavers being a percentage-based ranged attack means the enemy should be softened up at all times before a committed battle begins.  When I play Mundo, you better drop some major cc on me in a team fight or I will kill or drive away your high damage squishies before they can contribute anything.

Welcome to Tanky DPS and why people hate it (namely, lots of abilities that scale with your opponents instead of you).
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: March 24, 2011, 05:21:33 pm »

Karthus is SO MUCH FUN.

Karthus & Veigar otp.(retroactively fixed)

GO TEAM MAGICAL BASTARDS.

Banshee's veil.

I know! It helped me so damn much.
I wish Veigar took it, he mostly got his ass ganked without even a squeak.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:58:39 pm by eerr »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: March 24, 2011, 05:59:56 pm »

Welcome to Tanky DPS and why people hate it (namely, lots of abilities that scale with your opponents instead of you).

Hence my previous rant, and belief that Riot has no concept of balance.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: March 24, 2011, 08:32:19 pm »

Eh, I mean Veigar.

We held off nocturn paired with xiao fairly well (with death on both sides)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:35:42 pm by eerr »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: March 24, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »

Eh, I mean Veigar.

We held off nocturn paired with xiao fairly well (with death on both sides)
Who is xiao?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: March 24, 2011, 10:16:23 pm »

The spear assasin jumper whatever.

I guess I write all the names wrong.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: March 24, 2011, 11:42:51 pm »

Tanky DPS: Fairly high damage, fairly hard to kill. Annoying, but that's why you focus them. Let AOE's kill the squishes. Tanky DPS can't take hits like a full tank, which can survive focus for extended periods of time while still doing enough damage to hurt squishes.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: March 24, 2011, 11:46:23 pm »

Team of tanks, balanced teams. Tanks focus squishy, balanced team can't focus anyone but tank. Squishy dies first due to horrible balance, turns into 4v5, escalates in tank's favor from there.

The massive amount of CC tanks have is ridiculous compared to their health and damage. Something needs to be nerfed. preferably their damage. Tanks don't need to have damage items to be tanky dps.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: March 25, 2011, 12:01:11 am »

They either need to reduce the naturally high damage that they keep giving tanky characters, or they need to make more damage items that also have a defensive side.  AP characters have a really easy time building defense on top of their damage and mana sustainability... I don't know why AD characters can't have the same.

I've got in the habit of building manamune/banshee's veil/frozen mallet on almost every dps character because it's the only way to stay alive and still have enough damage/passive cc/mana pool to be relevant... but it still mostly amounts to just being a nuisance while the tanks and nukes do the majority of the fighting.

Of course, if they improved the survivability of DPS characters, they'd have to reduce their damage ceiling a bit, too... not that I think that would be a bad thing.  They're the main source of the horrible snowballing problems LoL has.  Generally, whichever team manages to feed their DPS wins.  They get ahead just a little bit and all of a sudden they can rampage from lane to lane carving up anyone instantly.

The whole thing is pretty damn retarded.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: March 25, 2011, 12:36:31 am »

Team of tanks, balanced teams. Tanks focus squishy, balanced team can't focus anyone but tank. Squishy dies first due to horrible balance, turns into 4v5, escalates in tank's favor from there.

The massive amount of CC tanks have is ridiculous compared to their health and damage. Something needs to be nerfed. preferably their damage. Tanks don't need to have damage items to be tanky dps.

Enemy has 5 tanks, everyone gets Madred's.

EDIT: WAIT. Epiphany!

Tanky Dps is broken because insane survivability combined with high damage
Tank is broken because CC and indestructibility
Dps is broken because they can kill anyone instantly

Everything is overpowered, thus nothing is overpowered. Damn, that sounds Buddhist.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:39:57 am by Psyco Jelly »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: March 25, 2011, 12:50:49 am »

Tanky Dps is broken because insane survivability combined with high damage
Tank is broken because CC and indestructibility
Dps is broken because they can kill anyone instantly

Everything is overpowered, thus nothing is overpowered. Damn, that sounds Buddhist.

Well the way it generally seems to work to me is both teams will have at least one dps, and put tons of effort into getting that dps fed.  If one side or the other manages to do this, the snowball drastically and win.  If neither side does, tanks just dominate the game throughout.  I don't like this dynamic where there are conditions or stages of the game where your character is useful.  I don't mind rock/paper/scissors style mechanics where certain character types cancel out others.  Like I think what Riot tries to accomplish along those lines is dps beats tanks beats nukes beats dps... but they pretty much fail at achieving this.  It's more like certain types of characters are relevant throughout the game even without items.  Others end up completely worthless if they get shut down early.  Others become unstoppable no matter what if the game drags out long enough.  There should never be a point where a player is left thinking 'Well there's nothing I can really do here.'  That's just bad game design.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 25, 2011, 01:12:20 am »

SalmonGod, do you still play LoL? If so, why? With such dismal opinions on it, why not play something else?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 25, 2011, 01:59:27 am »

Just played against the gayest team comp I have ever seen

Karthus
Teemo
Nocturne
Shen
Twisted Fate
All had teleport

We stomped them because we had three tanks and they couldn't get fed.  Thank god.  I really wanted to punish them for such an Stop Having Fun team.

And I play because my wife gets really bad motion sickness with most games, so it's rare to find a game that we can play together, despite gaming being one of our major common interests.  So I play mainly for her.  Plus, almost all of my gamer friends play it religiously.  The game is also quite addicting, and really fun when it's actually fun at all.  I've actually enjoyed the game the past couple weeks.  For a couple months there I hated it deeply.  I kind of go back and forth.

Overall, I think it's a terrible game and there are things I would rather do, but I stick with it for social reasons.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 165