Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 165

Author Topic: League of Legends  (Read 165350 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends
« Reply #1005 on: March 03, 2011, 07:07:39 pm »

Backdooring is a bannable offense in HoN? Why?

It's seen as dishonorable and some argue it's against the basic idea of the game.
It's a slightly different matter when players don't prefer it, but as far as being banned/bannable goes, my opinion is identical to how I felt about it in DOTA: If you don't want people doing it, you design your game to not allow or reward it, not bitch and moan like a goddamned child because you suck too much to make the game work how you want it to.

Also, talking about honor in a game where the ideal is to ambush someone with three of your friends and stun him so he dies without retaliation is a little... peculiar. Aside from getting more exp and gold from being alone, I'm not sure there's any portion of these types of games that encourage or reward "honor."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 03, 2011, 07:07:58 pm »

@Pandar:
It's not a "you trollin"-defense (see "if I didn't knew any better"). So yeah, what I adressed was your close-mindedness.
I just pointed out it's silly to bash a strategy, which obviously works.

And 700g are nothing.
In some of my games, I ganked mid as early as level 2 and got a successfull kill, or went for the top lane and scored a double kill with 3.
Olafs skills don't require so much mana that you can't live without the blue buff until you get the razor and he can slow reliably if you know how to use his axe.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:09:30 pm by Mindmaker »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 03, 2011, 07:10:33 pm »

I hate this game so much... in 20 years of gaming, I've never played another that could make me rage so hard...

but it's so addicting... my wife and most of my friends play it every fucking night... and it's amazing fun when it's actually fun...

too bad roughly 1/5 of matches are actually any fun...
That's a pretty crappy exchange rate: 40 minutes of fun for 200 minutes of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 03, 2011, 07:13:42 pm »

That's a pretty crappy exchange rate: 40 minutes of fun for 200 minutes of rage.

That's why I've quit on three separate occassions, each lasting at least a couple weeks.

But my wife plays it almost every night with almost every gamer friend I know.  It's hard to stay away from it.  Especially when I'm the kind of sap who will feel bad when they need a 5th person.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 03, 2011, 07:19:23 pm »

That's why I've quit on three separate occassions, each lasting at least a couple weeks.

But my wife plays it almost every night with almost every gamer friend I know.  It's hard to stay away from it.  Especially when I'm the kind of sap who will feel bad when they need a 5th person.

Practice more!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 03, 2011, 07:22:15 pm »

Just get into a practice game to try out jungle Malph, and now after a brief argument i have to double jungle with fucking Poppy, oh and they have Eve as their jungler -.-
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 03, 2011, 07:35:22 pm »

Just get into a practice game to try out jungle Malph, and now after a brief argument i have to double jungle with fucking Poppy, oh and they have Eve as their jungler -.-
Rape her >:D

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 03, 2011, 07:42:58 pm »

Practice more!

I'm not bad, actually... I play a pretty mean Mundo.  I've late game defended a tower solo against an entire enemy team on several occassions.  I can play any type of character competently.

I just have lots of gripes about the design of the game.  My two biggest:

1.  The RPG aspects are really poorly managed.  Most games are total landslides, and I don't enjoy these even when I'm on the winning end.  There are steps that could be taken to mitigate the snowballing nature of success in a multiplayer RPG, but honestly I think Riot is a fucking terrible company that doesn't give a shit.  The majority of LoL players I know even agree with this.

2.  Losing is fucking agonizing.  First, because the game's community is horrible.  Decent sportsmanship is a rarity.  Second, because you can usually tell by about 15 minutes whether there is any reason whatsoever to continue playing, but there is a time limit on surrender.  It's a little better since they lowered it to 20 minutes.  Still, that's assuming your teammates are going to agree with you.  Quite often, you have no choice but to continue wasting your time on something that is putting you in an increasingly sour mood, because you're provided no other options for escape that won't piss people off or put your account at risk.  I haven't played another game where this was such a glaring problem.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:37 pm »

Well i conviced poppy to back down so she laned with taric, obliterating their lane and causing xin to quit, eve on the other hand did not jungle, i was off to a slowish start since i didn't know what i could and couldn't do but i quickly became quite a threat after i got some stuff :D

EDIT:
GOD DAMN I HATE PEOPLE

So, another practice, we start nicely, gp gives some jungle advice, we do nicely, our teemo then around 20 says bye and leaves, and we struggle for a bit but overall do nicely, then i remeber something that could be helpful and tell gp about his W and jarvs ult and how he can use it to escape.Then he calls me a moron for pointing out something he allready knew, and really that just pisses me off to no end, so fuck yeah i feed them till the end
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:13:36 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 03, 2011, 08:12:09 pm »

1.  The RPG aspects are really poorly managed.  Most games are total landslides, and I don't enjoy these even when I'm on the winning end.  There are steps that could be taken to mitigate the snowballing nature of success in a multiplayer RPG, but honestly I think Riot is a fucking terrible company that doesn't give a shit.  The majority of LoL players I know even agree with this.
This is certainly an issue, and has been since DOTA if not sooner. It's certainly possible to come back from a setback, however, despite the game not particularly encouraging it.

2.  Losing is fucking agonizing.  First, because the game's community is horrible.  Decent sportsmanship is a rarity.  Second, because you can usually tell by about 15 minutes whether there is any reason whatsoever to continue playing, but there is a time limit on surrender.  It's a little better since they lowered it to 20 minutes.  Still, that's assuming your teammates are going to agree with you.  Quite often, you have no choice but to continue wasting your time on something that is putting you in an increasingly sour mood, because you're provided no other options for escape that won't piss people off or put your account at risk.  I haven't played another game where this was such a glaring problem.
The first point is, again, a problem that's been around since at least DOTA. To be fair, however, even if you've got a jackass or two every game (typically true), that's still only a 10-20% jackass rate, which isn't bad for the internet.

The second point, especially if your team doesn't agree with you, might be more an issue with you giving up too soon. Many, many people give up well before they lose, or mistake "losing" with "has lost."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 03, 2011, 08:36:44 pm »

On your point in that last line, I for one can confirm it. I've seen people perfectly able to do a comeback surrender on my face. I've had people surrender on me when the enemy isn't even at our base turrets yet, and we had even pushed all their first turrets, but they surrender because the enemy happens to have 7 kills over them. Its ridiculous.

Anyway I'm slowly comming back as AP sion, not because my skill with him is improving (not like AP sion takes any skill), but because my teams weren't pants-on-head retarded, only a dumbass jarvan who wanted blue buff everytime despite me and AP yi being the most damaging champions in the team.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 03, 2011, 08:47:20 pm »

Yeah, opinion varies pretty wildly on when to surrender.  I play with one friend who has begged his teammates not to surrender when the enemy team had 5x as many kills and we had no towers.  I used to play with another guy who would stop trying as soon as one of his teammates did something he thought was stupid or there was a major team fight loss.  I avoid playing with him anymore.

Really, I think I'm above average optimistic.  My team has to suffer at least two crushing defeats, with no reason to believe that things will change.  When there's no one on your team who can approach the enemy without getting instantly nuked, there's really no reason to continue.  It usually doesn't take long before a losing battle reaches this point.  But if we're behind a couple towers and come away from team fights with 1 or 2 less living players than the enemy, I'll keep at it.  Hell, if we're losing team fights horribly and are way behind, but they leave themselves open for backdooring, I'll keep at it.  I'm usually one of the last people to want to surrender.

Often enough, though, there will be those games where you have two leavers or really bad character match-ups, and you're just waiting 10 minutes or more for the ability to surrender.  Or you'll have one teammate who's like "But I have a positive score!  Don't surrender!" and another who's like "This is my last game for the night, I might as well play it out," when your team ratios are 1-3, you're 4 towers behind, and the other team decides to drag things out intentionally for 20 min.  This kind of stuff happens often enough that I consider it a serious detriment to the game.  Raaaage.

I'm kind of bitching because I quite the game again two days ago, but then my wife broke her toe lastnight.  So I reinstalled the game... again... and played with her to help take her mind off the pain.  We proceeded to have two really fun games in a row.  Goddamnit.  They dragged me back in.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:22 pm »

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #1018 on: March 03, 2011, 10:12:18 pm »

then i remeber something that could be helpful and tell gp about his W and jarvs ult and how he can use it to escape.Then he calls me a moron for pointing out something he allready knew, and really that just pisses me off to no end, so fuck yeah i feed them till the end

...You imply that you have better knowledge of his character than him, he is offended by this and makes it known, so you feed?

What. The. Hell. What is wrong with you? That is the absolute wrong response.

Next time, apologize. Don't be a dick.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 03, 2011, 10:50:00 pm »

Has anyone seen an actually good Jarvan, who removes his ult when he traps his own team inside, with no enimies.

They really don't seem to realize that they can turn it off early.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 165