Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 165

Author Topic: League of Legends  (Read 164891 times)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
League of Legends
« on: May 29, 2010, 03:27:29 pm »

League of Legends is free DoTA inspired game. Click here to see some basic information about how game is played. I know it seems lazy but its much more complicated game than it seems at first glance. If I would try to explain how everything works by myself it would be simply tl;dr material.

Now to write something myself. For me LoL is ultimate PvP experience. It involves reflexes like in action rpg's when you duke it out with enemy (though you don't need crazy skills like in Starcraft  ;D), tactics (setting up ambushes, smart use of crowd control etc.), strategies (team composition, backdooring, controlling map and buffs etc.), teamwork (most important I'd say, better teamwork >> better skills). There is over 50 unique champions to choose from so anyone should find something to suit his playstyle. Game is absolutely free (there are things like skins that can be bought with real money but nothing that gives advantage in game) so there is nothing to lose by trying it.

Shameless referral link: Get game here!

Here is a linky for all new players: http://leaguecraft.com/
Its good place to check out some guides if you have no idea what to do with your champion. I highly recommend to look for high rated ones since not every guide there is necessarily good, just so you know.

Players:

If you want to be added to list write your name, server you play on and optionally champions you play.

EU:
Janekk (Rammus, Fiddlesticks, Karthus)
Mindmaker (Kog'maw)
Evilgrimmy
fenrif
Errol (Singed, Mordekaiser, Morgana, Amumu, Cho'gath)
Strange_guy28 (Master Yi, Nunu)

NA:
Red Rooster
Urist McSummoner
Dahak
wraith123 (Pantheon)
Fire Shrimp
Thendash (Olaf, Pantheon, Cho'gath, and Zilean)
Saskali
AussieGuy
Greiger (Tryndamere)
Fikes (Jana, Tristana, Karthus, Fiddle, Ryze)
War God Anya
Djoze

??:
Hugehead1234
SuperOwnage21 (Ashe)

Spoiler: Original post (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:09:49 am by janekk »

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:04:58 pm »

Inferior version of Heroes of Newerth, but at least it's kind of free I guess.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:13:45 pm »

Inferior version of Heroes of Newerth, but at least it's kind of free I guess.
Ok, so care to elaborate on how its better?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:34:04 pm »

Stopped playing it some time ago.

The community makes you feel depressed and every new update is a total overhaul of game balance.
They really had some good ideas, but the game just isn't worth the frustration it causes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:58:32 pm by Mindmaker »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:49:05 pm »

Fun game, I quite like playing it with people I know. It helps balance out the annoying "god you suck" people. Also, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52529

Not that it really matters, I just thought it was funny that the search didn't find a thread called literally "League of Legends".
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 06:09:00 pm »

Yeah there is a lot of kids with anger issues and bad grammar playing this game but who cares what they wrote? Let them rage all day and just laugh at them. I find it very funny how people are getting so worked up over simple game (and what is weird that I only played practice matches, you know if you win or lose doesn't matter  :o).

It's quite confusing search didn't showed it up, I checked 2 times since I couldn't believe no one made thread yet and its not really old as well. Maybe I made some typo or something  ???.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 06:17:48 pm »

Oh man... people getting upset in practice matches is REALLY uncalled for. I like my ignore list in that game.

For searches here I actually use Google. Just do a search like this: "site:bay12forums.com league of legends" and it'll pull up everything.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 09:15:48 pm »

I prefer LoL's shop system over HoN or Dota. No 'secret' shop, no recipes to remember. I haven't played it a lot, but it's nice when I get the urge to occasionally, especially since it's free and the microtransaction stuff doesn't really cripple anything.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 09:39:17 pm »

Unfortunately for both HoN and LoL they are almost at the very top of my list for least noob friendly games ever. Not only do they have tons of unforgiving and not intuitive game mechanics, but they both have the worst player communities ever. Seriously, scum of the earth.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:17:50 am by Lap »

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:45:42 am »

I honestly can't stand LoL or HoN, and DotA pretty much ruined Wc3.

Never think you'd ever find a worse community than old Counterstrike, and then bam! Sonic!

And then DotA/HoN/LoL

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:25 am »

Recently started playing lol, and it's pretty cool. Easy, fun, community is actually normal, et cetera. Shaco owns.
Hmm.. I don't know there is a lot of kiddies playing the game but I did met lots of normal people there on the other hand, I guess it's just a matter of luck. Well there is something that can be done about it: add those normal people to friends so you have someone to play with. I couldn't care less if opposing team is a bag of douche bags throwing insults at you because they can't screw you by going afk, leaving or pulling other stupid stunt cause "n00bz are dragging him down" and ruin fun for everyone.

Ps. Master Yi owns moar.

thack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:41:41 am »

Barring a few exceptions, I have yet to find someone really offensive. When I do eventually come across them, I remember that it's the internet, just use the ignore option and move on. In over 75 odd games, I only ever came across one game where I really encountered some real douchebags on the opposing team.

On to the game, I usually don't like online multiplayers, primarily as they involve having sick reflexes and excellent mouse clicking abilities. But, somehow, I find myself enjoying LoL inspite of all that.

By the way, if you are really bored, you should try typing /dance in the chat....just realised this a couple of days ago :D

P.S. I am Red Rooster on the american server, in case anyone from here wants to add me...i am not a good player, but, I am not too bad either.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:44:58 am by thack »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 02:46:36 pm »

LOL uses a system called ELO to separate the newbs from the really good players, at least that is how it is supposed to work.

I have something like 350 post release games under my belt and probably 1 in 10 or so have someone really annoying in them.

Lots of times you'll end up with people who are just terrible and basically lose the game for you (I've been that person a few times) but it really isn't that big of a deal.

I enjoy the game. I wish battles lasted a little longer and had a little more crowd control and tactics, but that is just me. I think a lot of people like the "Jump in, blow your abilities, hope you live the longest"

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 07:52:25 am »

Necro time.
So since starting this thread I played LoL a lot and I must say its really great game. Balance is surprisingly good considering how many champions there are (over 50 I think, all different and unique mind you). Some people may get false impression that something is OP or UP but player skill is what makes the difference, you can "own" and "ravage" with every champ no problem. Also what is great is speed at which new content is created, since I started playing 4 or 5 new champions have been made. Also with some games under my belt I definitely see improvement in playing crowd - much less kiddies!

So lately I'm playing Karthus and thanks to current rotation week I'm testing Anivia in practice matches. I can't decide if I want to get her, on plus side I would use same runes like for Karth but she is pretty much hardest to play champ in game. In few first games I was horrible with her. My "nuke" was doing so little damage I couldn't even hope to kill anything. Though in recent practice matches I was getting very nice kill ratios. Still I can't deicide if I like her playstyle, I really like egg because it helps so much to keep those stacks on Soulstealer but I don't like her ult which is pretty much ultimate farming skill which eats a lot of mana.

Maybe I'm repeating myself but here it goes: my nick is Janekk and I play on EU servers, give me a message if you want to play practice match.

Ps. Handy (referral) link if you want to check out this absolutely free to play game: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c0136ff4419d

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 07:08:03 am »

A sort of necro again: apparently they just started their first rated ladder season. http://www.leagueoflegends.com/season_one

Even if you're not interested, there's a pretty neat CG video on that site of a battle with some of the heroes you can choose in game and if they get enough views on it we get a double IP weekend, which would be really nice. It would also be a good time to come try out the game if you were unsure about it. I think the community's started to mellow and the hero variety's really getting up there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 165