Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 165

Author Topic: League of Legends  (Read 164892 times)

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 05:59:14 am »

I play HoN. I never played dota. I figure it's mostly dota with a few reskins, but they have added some new items/heroes/skills. Also it's really fun to bait people into raging.

I would gladly play LoL with yall though, sounds like fun.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 06:55:25 am »

Perfect review except the match max level is 18, and the summoner max level is most likely 50.
Summoner max level is 30.

I play HoN. I never played dota. I figure it's mostly dota with a few reskins, but they have added some new items/heroes/skills. Also it's really fun to bait people into raging.

I would gladly play LoL with yall though, sounds like fun.
In case you didn't know LoL is absolutely free: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4c0136ff4419d
Ps. Its referral link. If I will make like 10000 successful referrals (level 10 at least) I'll win trip to Riot and I will design my own champ (yeah like that would happen, how the hell I'm supposed to get so many referrals? Though one guy has over 2000 already, they made unique champ skin for him). Well in more realistic scenario with 2 more I can get tier 3 champion I think which would save me a lot of IP I could spend on runes.
Ps2. That's a long ps.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 09:20:29 am »

Argh. It's all coming back to me; LoL needs a number of unblocked ports (Which I have no control over, unless I want to butt heads with the ISP) and it needs IE set up a certain way to function (Primary problem duex; the only reason IE's even on this computer is I've been too lazy to tear the filth out of it. Well, and I occasionally need a crap browser to deal with crap websites that won't function with anything else. This may be the impetus I needed to get rid of the thing, though.), among other things. Getting it to run is just too much of a headache to bother with.
Huh? I never had any issue getting it running. For me it was always just download, run, update (which takes a while) and play. And I actively avoid IE too.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 10:01:00 am »

5 games.
All lost.
In every single one several teammembers feed horribly.

Aren't games supposed to be fun?

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 10:05:13 am »

Was that ranked? Keep in mind ranked uses different elo from normal games so in beginning you will be paired up with horrible players until you climb higher, for a while just don't play solo queue.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 10:10:05 am »

No not ranked.

I just hate the elo systems.
How are you supposed to climb in rank if you get paired with such horrible people?
I'm simply not playing gamebreaking heroes, which can turn the game around anytime.

I would prefer a personal rating.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2010, 10:22:28 am »

Ah so you are just on a losing streak. Matchmaking is simply trying to make you 50-50 w/l if you do to well it gives you horrible team mates to "compensate". There are two solutions to this, play arranged the other is to cancel if queue is taking too much time (the longer it gets elo brackets are becoming less strict making it possible to team you up with horrible players) but its not really reliable or anything so play arranged if you just hate matchmaking. About gamebreaking heroes, there is no such thing (though there are imbalances but nothing as severe). Some champions like twitch or shaco may be OP at lower elo games since people can't deal with stealth characters (buy wards!) but no matter how good you are and what champion you play you can't carry whole terribad team by yourself against competent team.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2010, 11:04:55 am »

Every name was taken so I opted for Urist McSummoner. Add me.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 11:33:49 am »

Every name was taken so I opted for Urist McSummoner. Add me.

Since I can't find it, I guess you mean on US servers.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 02:07:08 pm »

No not ranked.

I just hate the elo systems.
How are you supposed to climb in rank if you get paired with such horrible people?
I'm simply not playing gamebreaking heroes, which can turn the game around anytime.

I would prefer a personal rating.

The idea is that if you are any good and go on a long losing streak, you should be able to win against the people you are paired against.

Last night I finally broke even in ranked play, 10 and 10. In unranked I am like 240 and 230.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 03:59:46 am »

I'm on, someone wanna play?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 09:55:48 am »

I like the new champion design.

Udyr? Manbearturtletiger? Great!
Vlad? Bloodmage? Awesome!
Kog'Maw? Pew Pew Pew!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:04:06 am by Mindmaker »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 11:44:31 am »

Played DotA for about five years, currently play HoN (among other games) and tried LoL.

My synopsis: LoL is for the "casual" gamers. There is no competitive scene. The game is balanced in that any hero can become a "carry;" there are no differing roles for each hero to play and play well when all of them are homogenized trash. There's no need for a "balanced" team when anyone can do any role, more or less. Being built around a cash shop means that people can pay for what you can do for free in HoN (See: Skins, mods, etc). Having to pay to access all the heroes (or play a game like that on a regular basis for over a month) was very offputting (yes, I know they switch out heroes every week). The interface and graphics look horribad and cartoonish. Lack of essential mechanics (like denying creeps for lane control) and a real metagame (where, like I said, if any hero can carry then there's no point in early push strategies; these are invalidated with how hard the towers hit anyway) really killed the game for me.

The worst part is seeing the creator of DotA, (as it is today) IceFrog, slandered on by Pendragon and Guinsoo (both of whom failed in their versions of DotA) as they fail with their current game. I have to respect a guy who makes a game engaging for years and doesn't get paid for it. It's like if someone took Dwarf Fortress, changed the game a little bit, had you pay for certain features, and then completely discredited Bay 12 for their hand in things.

I do like some of the things in it, though.+Power to spells would be nice to have in either DotA (where it would be unwieldy to implement, due to engine limitations) or HoN (where it would be unbalancing to implement directly, due to certain heroes having spammable nukes). The variety of items is nice, too. Neutral creeps being the equivalent of runes in HoN or DotA was an... interesting change, at least.

I played two games, both of which I dominated in (16-2, 21-1) without knowing what I was doing. Have uninstalled since; it's not worth the space on my hard drive.

Summary: If you want a low skill-cap game that is "fun" to play, and you haven't played DotA or HoN before, then LoL may be a good introduction to the genre. If you want a game with a competitive scene or advanced mechanics, then Warcraft 3's DotA or S2Games HoN would be a better choice.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 12:17:19 pm »

My synopsis: LoL is for the "casual" gamers. There is no competitive scene.

Ranked games have already been implemented and tournaments are being launched regularely.
They recently have even expanded into Asia, which should provide a significant boost to competitive gaming (just think of Japan or Korea).

The game is balanced in that any hero can become a "carry;" there are no differing roles for each hero to play and play well when all of them are homogenized trash. There's no need for a "balanced" team when anyone can do any role, more or less.

I wouldn't say that.
It true that most heroes can become good at killing other heroes, but the are also a lot of supporters out there.
Still the best team consits of a tank, a physical carry, a magic nuker, a supporter and one other random heroe.
You should never forget to bring some stuns, slows, heals and such.
Every hero is unique in his own way.

Being built around a cash shop means that people can pay for what you can do for free in HoN (See: Skins, mods, etc). Having to pay to access all the heroes (or play a game like that on a regular basis for over a month) was very offputting (yes, I know they switch out heroes every week).

You forget that you will have to pay for HON once it is out (if it isn't out yet) while LOL is completely free.
If you know what you are looking for in champions, you won't have any trouble in sustaining a bunch with the points you earn.
Also runes from the shop add additional customizability to your champion as well as do masteries and summoner spells.

The interface and graphics look horribad and cartoonish. Lack of essential mechanics (like denying creeps for lane control) and a real metagame (where, like I said, if any hero can carry then there's no point in early push strategies; these are invalidated with how hard the towers hit anyway) really killed the game for me.

I happen to like the cell shading look of the game.
Its simply a matter of taste.

And there is a lot of metagame.
Pushing early allows you to deny the enemy xp and gold, as well as making some of the squishier characters or the ones without an escape skill an easy target.

Also denying makes no sense (Killing you own guys? Seriously?) and didn't add anything to the gameplay value.
It annoyed me in Dota and I was glad that it wasn't in LOL.

I do like some of the things in it, though.+Power to spells would be nice to have in either DotA (where it would be unwieldy to implement, due to engine limitations) or HoN (where it would be unbalancing to implement directly, due to certain heroes having spammable nukes). The variety of items is nice, too. Neutral creeps being the equivalent of runes in HoN or DotA was an... interesting change, at least.

My favorite part of the game.
Finally every chapions stays useful, once he has passed his strong phase.
I really didn't like how your caster characters became more and more useless as the game proceeded, as you weren't able to increase your spelldamage.

I played two games, both of which I dominated in (16-2, 21-1) without knowing what I was doing. Have uninstalled since; it's not worth the space on my hard drive.

That's ELO for you.
If you continued playing you would have gotten tougher and tougher opponents.
The ones you get in the beginning are pathetic.
Even my brother (a 11year old) was able to beat them, without knowing what he was doing (he doesn't understand much of english, just bought the recommended items and applied random skills).

Summary: If you want a low skill-cap game that is "fun" to play, and you haven't played DotA or HoN before, then LoL may be a good introduction to the genre. If you want a game with a competitive scene or advanced mechanics, then Warcraft 3's DotA or S2Games HoN would be a better choice.

The games are equally competitive.
Well HON probably has more "professional gamers" right now and more events, but LOL is catching up quickly.
And LOL has expanded upon DOTA and HON (which is basically a reskin of DOTA) in terms of gameplay mechanics, introducing new item stats, interesting new heroes, with elaborate new abilities.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:19:47 pm by Mindmaker »

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 12:18:54 pm »

Oh wow this just show how little you know about LoL.

No competitive scene? How bout tournament with 100000$ prize? How about ladders?

Haha no roles for heroes? Good one  :D. Honestly, you can build tanking items on caster/nuker but in the end its plainly stupid because: none of your skills synergies with you items (in this example you have no ways to make any use of your hp/armor/magic resist pool, good tanks can initiate, force people into attacking them as it is you would be just ignored as useless,threat less lump of hp) leading to that other champions can do it much much better.

Ok is buying skins THAT big of a problem? It gives no advantage whatsoever so what's the big deal? Also I like that you have to unlock champs: a) it gives you something to do b) limits your ability to jump from champ to champ forcing you to actually learn to play with what you have (better players overall)

Graphics look horribad in HoN (just my opinion but same goes for you) . In LoL they are clear and easy on eyes.

Wrrrong. There IS denying in LoL (haha not really just one champ can do that). More seriously why the hell you need denying? Its just stupid killing your own guys and it doesn't really add anything interesting to gameplay just makes for steeper learning curve which in itself isn't good at all. So towers hit you hard? I don't really see any problem with it. My advice would be: Don't get hit? Towers target priority isn't very complex, after 2 games you should know how it works. BTW IMO calling this "advanced mechanics" is a bit of stretch, its nothing really that "advanced".

Lack of meta game... So you played 2 games and you think you know everything there is to now about this game? FYI if you want to play against good players you need to climb ELO ladder.

Good Sire I laugh at your ignorance  :P.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:53:39 pm by janekk »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 165