Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 165

Author Topic: League of Legends  (Read 164894 times)

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 07:33:01 am »

Holy shit what, Kayle is a girl? Now I know thats a girl name, but I always assumed this thing is, um, a guy. Also worst team ever.
Ruze, alistar, ashe, yi and kayle. Anyone not stupid would steamroll that in less than half a hour.
Other team was worse tho. No ganking, no cooperating, blah.
Overall, very uninspired and generic movie. You get one, exactly goddamn same for every freaking online game/mmo.
Doesnt makes any sense, explains SO MUCH, LITERALLY SO MUCH IRL, and is completely ripped from every other CGI trailer ever out there.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:35:24 am by Pillow_Killer »
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:52 am »

I could think about reinstalling it, if you guys are willing to play with me and use the european version.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 07:53:12 am »

What is your level? D:
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 08:37:10 am »

No idea.
Something between 21-30 I believe xD

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 08:39:02 am »

Sure, Ill play with you :D
You should get on IRC too.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 01:44:57 pm »

Sure, Ill play with you :D
You should get on IRC too.

Bay12 channel?
Why and when?

Oh and I need to re-download it before I can play it again.
Also I would prefer friday, since I'm busy toworrow and only would have time in the evening (7pm GMT) and probably will spend it otherwise.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 03:50:50 pm »

We are two players at the moment.
Well I just happen to know one bay12-member there.
Are there others?

If we manage to get some other people we could start in the premade 5v5 ladder games.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 04:09:17 pm »

I play I'm Hugehead1234.
EDIT: Just logged on and right at the top of the news is what other than a announcement that they are bringing it to southeast Asia, great.  :(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:11:49 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 04:11:06 pm »

I play on euro servers  :D. I can play Karthus, Cho (not as good as Karth) and lately I'm playing kicking ass with Shen though I don't have runes for him so not ladder material yet :-\. We should make in game "Bay12" chat room.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 08:13:48 pm »

I play. North America. Mostly Rammus and Sokar... Saku... whatever the crazy purple unicorn healing lady is called. Although I've been trying to make myself give others a try. I'm not all that great, but it can be fun. Give me a PM if you want to give me a try on the premade stuff. No promises I'll be any good though. I play for fun and don't have any intention of learning stupid tricks. Mostly why I chose LoL over DotA or HoN. At least LoL doesn't require you to memorize a hundred recipes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 09:12:32 pm »

So can folks tell me a bit about this thing? I remember trying to get this and HoN working on my computer earlier this year, but one of them didn't work at the time and the other was basically DotA reskinned. I'm actually quite the fan of the Aeon of Strife gameplay type -- and have been since its inception, back with Starcraft -- but DotA itself, while quite polished, was/is entirely too micro-intensive for me to actually enjoy; I could hold my own, occasionally, in a public game, but it wasn't particularly impressive compared to a number of other WC3 AoS maps and the existence a dedicated upper-level gameplay arena (so to speak) had a nasty effect on the general atmosphere of the games. Not to mention the average skill level more or less skyrockted, leaving middling players (or at least those unwilling to actively practice the game -- and I'm sorry, I'm not going to run training sessions for something that's not incredibly impressive and original, which DotA isn't.) like myself in the dust. DotA was a lot more enjoyable back when it first came about, at least for me.

Blurb out of the way, how much does LoL differ from DotA, in terms of gameplay? From HoN (Though there doesn't seem to be terribly much of a difference between the two, when I checked HoN out -- there were heros whose skills were direct rips of DotA characters.)? How much of an advantage does payin' folks get? What's that 'level' thing being mentioned? Anything really important that folks starting out need to know, if they're already mostly familiar with AoS style games?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 10:41:49 pm »

The way I see it, from watching my friend play a couple of games, HoN is basically DotA reskinned, with a decent matchmaking lobby and slightly better controls and UI.

LoL is DotA made significantly more accessible. The levels allow you to add and change abilities (each player gets to pick two from a group. The group grows as your level does up to about level 12, I believe.) as well as runes which add very small amounts of bonuses to your character. One might be 1% attack speed increase. Or 2% HP increase. They do add up if you level up enough and probably do matter significantly in the ladder tournaments, but in normal public play, they don't do much and matchmaking will try to pair you with similarly leveled people anyway. Unlike the other two games though, LoL restricts which characters you can play. Most of them are on a cycle so each week you'll get a new set of "free" characters to play with. As you play games you'll earn Influence Points (IP) which will allow you to unlock the runes and characters permanently. You CAN pay money to unlock most of these things(except runes) but the only things that are bought with money only are character skins which are simply aesthetic and IP/XP doublers which give you double IP and XP for each game you play. It simply speeds things up a bit, doesn't give anyone an advantage at this point.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 10:45:40 pm »

The way I see it, from watching my friend play a couple of games, HoN is basically DotA reskinned, with a decent matchmaking lobby and slightly better controls and UI.

LoL is DotA made significantly more accessible. The levels allow you to add and change abilities (each player gets to pick two from a group. The group grows as your level does up to about level 12, I believe.) as well as runes which add very small amounts of bonuses to your character. One might be 1% attack speed increase. Or 2% HP increase. They do add up if you level up enough and probably do matter significantly in the ladder tournaments, but in normal public play, they don't do much and matchmaking will try to pair you with similarly leveled people anyway. Unlike the other two games though, LoL restricts which characters you can play. Most of them are on a cycle so each week you'll get a new set of "free" characters to play with. As you play games you'll earn Influence Points (IP) which will allow you to unlock the runes and characters permanently. You CAN pay money to unlock most of these things(except runes) but the only things that are bought with money only are character skins which are simply aesthetic and IP/XP doublers which give you double IP and XP for each game you play. It simply speeds things up a bit, doesn't give anyone an advantage at this point.
Perfect review except the match max level is 18, and the summoner max level is most likely 50.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 12:47:05 am »

Argh. It's all coming back to me; LoL needs a number of unblocked ports (Which I have no control over, unless I want to butt heads with the ISP) and it needs IE set up a certain way to function (Primary problem duex; the only reason IE's even on this computer is I've been too lazy to tear the filth out of it. Well, and I occasionally need a crap browser to deal with crap websites that won't function with anything else. This may be the impetus I needed to get rid of the thing, though.), among other things. Getting it to run is just too much of a headache to bother with.

S'a shame, was I was fairly interested in giving it a run :(

Oh well. Maybe some point in the future they'll have made the game a little bit more friendly to run and I can give it another shot. Thanks for the response, and best of luck to th'folks able to get it functioning!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 05:05:20 am »

I'll be addign the people which have posted their name now and PMing the ones that haven't.

Main differences between LoL and HoN/DotA:
    • Artstyle (LoL has a cell-shading/comic look, while HoN trys to have a more a more realistic fatasy look)
    • Learling curve (steep in HoN as there are a lot of veteran DotA players running around and the game requires you to know a lot about items/gameplay mechanics and so on, while LoL gameplay mechanics are pretty straightforward)
    • Innovation (HoN sticks to the restrictions given by DotA, which means only few new heroes (the others are just reskins of former DotA heroes), no new item stats, no new maps and so on, while LoL has completely new hero concepts, more items stats (ability power for example allows casters to scale with items), interesting new heroe abilities and so on)
    • Micromanagement (LoL requires none (thank god, as I suck at it), while DotA/HoN may require it on certain heroes to be effective)
    • Controls (easy in LoL, more complicated in HoN/DotA where you need to deny and micromanage stuff)
    • Community (far less elitism in LoL, than in DotA/Hon, but the online game without douchebags in it has yet to be developed...)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 165