Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 165

Author Topic: League of Legends  (Read 165766 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends
« Reply #1455 on: April 01, 2011, 10:50:07 pm »

Why it's awesome to be the man of metal:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More like why you don't take a doran's item for life steal.  It's so little.  No sustainability.  Get the vampiric thing and just play conservative the first couple levels.  Don't do anything stupid, and your opponent will be first to leave lane.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 01, 2011, 10:57:02 pm »

When it was possible to buy doran's and a potion, you didn't pick it for the lifesteal, you picked it for the health and damage they gave. The whole point of doran stacking in a solo lane is to gain a simple advantage over whoever you're up against.

Why do people think starting with lifesteal is a good idea? I don't think healing for 6~7 hp on every attack is going to help you much. Lifesteal is something you pick when you already have some attack damage to make it count. Starting with lifesteal cripples your build early on and makes it less likely you'll be getting the kills you want to advance your item build.

Plus you'll be missing the point with ezreal by playing passively.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:59:10 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 01, 2011, 11:02:33 pm »

My favorite Morde build is first buying a champion with CC.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 01, 2011, 11:08:06 pm »

When it was possible to buy doran's and a potion, you didn't pick it for the lifesteal, you picked it for the health and damage they gave. The whole point of doran stacking in a solo lane is to gain a simple advantage over whoever you're up against.

Why do people think starting with lifesteal is a good idea? I don't think healing for 6~7 hp on every attack is going to help you much. Lifesteal is something you pick when you already have some attack damage to make it count. Starting with lifesteal cripples your build early on and makes it less likely you'll be getting the kills you want to advance your item build.

I'm a conservative style player.  I don't like pulling crazy stunts and I hate not being sustainable.  I lane regularly against people who show up with health potions while I took lifesteal.  They think their extra damage and health will carry them through some crazy stunts to get early kills.  I expect it, play safe, and let them make their mistakes.  They go back multiple times before I do, leaving me to farm while they go heal.  I don't often get fed early but neither do they, and I always hold my lane better than the enemy and keep pace by farming while they take their healing trips.

My strategy in general is to let the other side be the first to make a mistake, and capitalize on it when they do.  Aggressiveness just increases the likelihood that you'll be the one making opportunities for the enemy.

Also, the comic was funny :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 01, 2011, 11:11:57 pm »

Then you shouldn't be playing carries :P , its not a terrible strategy by any means, I wish alot of people did that instead of blindly rushing everything, but it depends alot on who you're fighting against. Playing passively for a long while and not getting as much kills as an enemy carry who is overpowering someone else in some other lane will eventualy leave you way behind and unable to counter him, unless you're some kind of god of last hitting who can pull off 150 minion kills by 20 mins in.

^ This.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:14:36 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 01, 2011, 11:15:24 pm »

Who needs CC when you get a ghost and then solo the entire enemy team?  :P

(all posts must now have a  :P in them)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 01, 2011, 11:20:13 pm »

Then you shouldn't be playing carries :P

Yeah... my teammates generally like me better when I play tanks.

I still do well with carries, though, so long as my teammates are on the same page as me.  It doesn't matter if you don't get kills.  If you don't give your enemy kills and you outfarm them, you still come out ahead. 

Not many people like to play this way, though.  LoL seems to make people incredibly greedy and stupid.   I think the only reason I do better with tanks is because, as the initiator, I can force my teammates to be on the same page.  I'm good at recognizing the best opportunities to commit to a fight, and at harrassing otherwise.  This is why I main Mundo.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 01, 2011, 11:37:10 pm »

It's the lack of a gold penalty on death, I think. It means that the most you lose from a death is time.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 01, 2011, 11:42:18 pm »

It's the lack of a gold penalty on death, I think. It means that the most you lose from a death is time.

Anyone who can't quickly figure out that this actually is a gold penalty is pretty dumb.  I'm sure you understand this.  I just hate reckless teammates.  They're like "HEY LETS SEE IF WE CAN PULL THIS OFF WE'LL WIN THE GAME IF WE DO" and I'm like "Maybe but I'd rather wait for the enemy to try some stupid shit like that, and show them that they can't."

Edit:  Actually thought of a great recent example.  I had my first long-lasting 1v1 Mundo duel the other day.  Both our teams had junglers and sent Mundo top.  I took regen amulet and he took doran's shield.  With his higher armor and health, he expected to be able to initiate and dominate.  We would cleaver each other and I would walk away while he chased me at the same speed.  He'd give up and go back to creeps.  I would recover from the attempt twice as fast as him and continue throwing cleavers while he was still healing.  Put him on the defensive like this the entire laning phase.  We stayed in lane against each other for 15 minutes.  Neither of us got a kill, but I had him pinned against his tower the entire time.  They tried to set up ganks a couple times, but I would throw a cleaver in the river bush often just to check and my jungler was helpful in keeping tabs on the other one also.  I was always ready.  I ended up with about 2.5x as many creep kills as the other Mundo and dominated everyone mid-late game.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:53:55 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 01, 2011, 11:52:56 pm »

lol, so sadly true. xD

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1465 on: April 02, 2011, 12:16:35 am »

I think it's just that the gold "penalty" isn't immediately apparent to those people. But that time spent dead and walking back could be much better spent farming or ganking. Not to mention the gold your opponents get from kills as well. People just don't think beyond the initial consequences.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 02, 2011, 01:24:58 am »

Exactly.

That's why a champion like Singed can dive and be like "DGAF" as long as he kills someone else. You shut down Singed farming. Big deal. Unless you have perfect map control he WILL poison minion waves and get more gold than he really ever needs.

Exploiting the unequal values of time for different champions is a big part of LoL and why a ranged carry is so much easier to deal with than a Renekton who, eventually, WILL get the 507 he needs to finish his Brutalizer and do absurd damage. Or a Singed who can, with Boots Merc's/2, one item that builds off a Blasting Wand, and one item that builds off a Catalyst, effectively do most of what he wants even if he went 10/3 earlier. Yes, that's from experience. In a Ranked game. Where we won. Got my Blasting Wand and shot from 0/10/3 to 3/11/13 or so. I sucked early but it got better. Possibly because I was tired at the start, but meh. The point stands.

I was also referring, specifically, to the much more severe gold penalty in other games. As in "I hope you weren't planning to buy something when you died 'cause you're gonna a lot of it when you go" penalties that are exacerbated by Denying.

But yeah, strictly speaking the only penalty is time. You don't (directly) lose gold or exp - you lose the time during which you would have been gaining them and not having your tower pushed.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 02, 2011, 01:48:28 am »

technically you lose gold because you give gold to your opponent, putting them ahead gold-wise.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 02, 2011, 02:33:54 am »

Giving them gold isn't losing gold, it's giving them gold. You do not, in a direct manner, lose gold, technically or otherwise.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 02, 2011, 06:53:55 am »

Some people on the official forums posted a very intriguing strategy called tri-lane.

It's basically 1-3-1 lane setup with no jungler instead of 1-1-2 (techically, the metagame in the US is 1-1-1 + roaming support). The three in mid are champs which don't need levels or items to succeed. For the most part, support champs.

To be specific, the characters they used were: Urgot top; Janna, Morgana, Sona mid; Tryndamere bot.

The objective for them was not to get kills. In fact, they'd often be down in kills. But they'd always be up in towers. So for that team and strategy, the game is not about last hits and pacing, but endless pushing. Since mid had an aoe healer and two great farmers / harassers, they would destroy mid tower before the other lanes could keep up. After that, all three in mid would move to another lane and push it 4-man and repeat as required to rush as many towers as possible.

They also pointed out that since their strategy is so bizzare, the enemy team is more or less never designed to take on three in mid. Since they'd have to switch their lanes around to try and counteract that strategy, they would be working less optimal than the team which actively sought out 3 in mid in the first place. For example, they'd have to sacrifice champions who might suffer a lot more from the lack of exp / gold compared to Morgana, Janna, and Sona. It was also noted that oftentimes the enemy teams would spend so much time moving between lanes trying to counteract the roaming 3-man team that they would actually be very close in terms of levels.

Honestly speaking, I think it's a very interesting idea. I'm sure a lot of people have tried 3 in mid before but I don't think anyone has thought of it as in depth as they have. I am going to take their analysis with a grain of salt, but I would very much like to try it out a few times. It would at least be a nice change from the super slow paced regular LoL.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 165