Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Understanding Kobolds in 2010  (Read 5411 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Kobolds in 2010
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 10:58:13 pm »

I'm confused as to why kobolds don't have any hair. Aren't they supposed to be like little dogpeople critters?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 11:14:00 pm »

I'm confused as to why kobolds don't have any hair. Aren't they supposed to be like little dogpeople critters?
There are thousands of little bald men stealing my shit.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 01:21:25 am »

There are thousands of little bald men stealing my shit.
I think I'm going to sig this now.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 06:37:10 am »

Since treason is unthinkable to them, there must either be an incredibly high taboo against treason, but unless they have a well developed system of language they have very little means by which to communicate the idea of that taboo.

Why does a taboo have to be socially driven? Especially in this case. There are many genetic drivers out there, Ants for example cooperate together, because it is to the benefit of the hive, they have evolved to that design, not because they went to the pub and wrote the idea on a napkin. There are many things that are pre-programmed into the brain via genetics.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 10:10:56 am »

Why does a taboo have to be socially driven? Especially in this case. There are many genetic drivers out there, Ants for example cooperate together, because it is to the benefit of the hive, they have evolved to that design, not because they went to the pub and wrote the idea on a napkin. There are many things that are pre-programmed into the brain via genetics.

I prefer for taboos to be socially driven because for the taboos to be genetically driven there usually has to be some large evolutionary advantage for them to become as such. As such, to establish some sort of background to the creatures I feel that you also have to derive the situation the progenitors of the kobold race were in that necessitated such a strong taboo that it would be completely unthinkable instead of merely highly discouraged. To me, that seems somewhat contrived.

But yes, you have a point. It was mostly personal preference on my part.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 10:41:00 am »

They otherwise ignore the kobold and that's sorta like a shun thing.  But if it was a shun instead of an exile they would probably leave the shunned kobold's kill alone instead of stealing it from him.  Unlike an exile a shunned kobold would still be able to hunt in the area, he would just be driven away from kills made by others.
There is a punishment called "Shun". Kobolds do not use it. Murder is Exile, not shun. If you don't like it, change your raws.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 12:21:35 pm »

There is a punishment called "Shun". Kobolds do not use it. Murder is Exile, not shun. If you don't like it, change your raws.
Why so aggressive?

I'm just talking about how I figure an exile would work in a kobold group.  Not so much different from what other groups would describe as a shunning, but the kobold is forced to exile themselves if they want to survive, a shunned kobold is just ignored, an exiled kobold is actively driven away from food and shelter in the area.  it's not like the kobolds would be able to put grunts and such together to tell the kobold he's exiled.

And I'm aware there is no shun ethics for kobolds, I was attempting to preempt any posts saying I was just describing a shunning by stating what I feel the difference would be.  Which apperantly failed.

If you don't like it, ignore my post.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

shome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 07:06:08 pm »

I'm just talking about how I figure an exile would work in a kobold group.  Not so much different from what other groups would describe as a shunning, but the kobold is forced to exile themselves if they want to survive, a shunned kobold is just ignored, an exiled kobold is actively driven away from food and shelter in the area.  it's not like the kobolds would be able to put grunts and such together to tell the kobold he's exiled.
I think the difference here is the lack of a kobold settlement.  In other, settlement based civilizations(human, dwarf etc), a shunned person would be excluded from features of the settlement(trade, religion, government)
but still be allowed to stay, whereas an exiled person would be kicked out.

With the removal of formal settlement, the distinction is removed or becomes irrelevant.
Quote from: Capntastic
It's post-modern art. It's useless, it looks weird, but it's worth a lot of money.
Plus, with an elephant, you really only need to caulk a couple places. They start out pretty watertight.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 10:33:07 am »

Exile is a removal from the group, shunning isn't.
Exile results in killing if caught in their territory. Shunning is ignoring when it happens.

It's a pretty big difference, and it's the reason why the raws have exile rather than shun. If you think exile is the same as shun in Kobolds, what would changing it to shun be, disapproval? Why not just use 'Shun' instead?

Lack of a formal site doesn't eliminate the group as an entity, and as they say, home is where the stolen loot is stashed.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 05:24:02 pm »

just a question - where do kobold civ names come from? They are in a different language to all other civ names, so presumably the name cannot be translated into what ever the dorfs speak, and there fore does not originate with the dorfs. Do the other races (elves, goblins, Umans) speak the same language, i assume so, as they do in adventure mode.

Animal civs on the other hand - have unknown civ as their civ name
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 05:29:24 pm »

just a question - where do kobold civ names come from? They are in a different language to all other civ names, so presumably the name cannot be translated into what ever the dorfs speak, and there fore does not originate with the dorfs. Do the other races (elves, goblins, Umans) speak the same language, i assume so, as they do in adventure mode.

Animal civs on the other hand - have unknown civ as their civ name
Kobold speech & names = random
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 06:04:26 pm »

I see Kobolds somewhat like this:

Kobolds are a primitive, but sapient, species of bipedal canines living in tribal societies. Since every day is a struggle for survival every material good is used for the good of the tribe, and the concept of "personal property" is completely alien to them. As such, they have no concept of "theft" either.

Kobolds live a harsh life, and trust is reserved for member of their own tribe. Once the trust is broken, it can never be regained, and the offending Kobold is driven away from the tribe's territory. Since Kobold tribes do not trust outsiders, and other races certainly do not trust Kobolds, a Kobold has nothing to gain from betraying it's tribe, and the thought would not even occur to most of them.

Kobolds are constantly in danger of death, being despised as vermin by the "higher" races, and this leaves little time for empathy. Kobolds have been known to torture other individuals, often taking great glee in such acts. An interesting note is that Kobolds do not usually think of extracting information in this manner, or of using it to set examples, or to establish dominance.

Kobolds prefer to settle disputes with each other peacefully, though their suspicious nature makes this difficult, and fights are far from uncommon. These fights are rarely to the death; lethal blows would betray the limited trust of the community the Kobold depends upon to survive in a hostile world.

Eh, that's it for now. Thoughts?

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 12:07:37 am »

Kobolds are a primitive, but sapient, species of bipedal canines living in tribal societies...
I agree with everything you say except for that bolded bit. I understand that early DnD had them Dog like before they became lizards, and other fantasy settings have them as anything from humanoids to mole people. In DF Kobolds are Reptomamilians sort of an intermediary evolutionary stage between reptiles and mammals.

I know everyone can visualize it however they want, it just that this is what Toady has said and is becoming(if not already) the general consensus of those who are not attaching Kobold imagery from other fantasy sources, which are clearly not in agreement with eachother.

This structure has been modified and explored over time and the best image Ive seen of one is this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its much more grimdark then the Cutebolds but maintains a large amount of the anatomy that has lead to the current standing image of the DF Kobold.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 04:46:31 am »

Kobolds are vermin I despise only slightly less than goblins and elves. Then again, they are a nice little distraction.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 12:19:44 pm »

I would most closely compare kobolds to Jawas, from Star Wars. They also remind me of rats and mice, if any of you have ever kept these animals.

The "torture" ethic might be related more to how a cat plays with its food. A hunting kobold might inflict nonfatal wounds on its pray out of curiosity or some sort of innate behavior, but he's not waterboarding elves and demanding to know when Jringis will occur.

Rats and mice live in communal families where each member has a place that they maintain by engaging in social activities (grooming and mating) or by fighting. Generally one male will be recognized as the dominant figure in his group, with other males vying for his position or simply letting him have the lion's share of the food and mating rights. The females live a bit apart and share responsibility for raising young and finding food. Something is only "yours" so long as you are holding it, and a dropped or stolen item is pretty much immediately forgotten. Some species, like the packrat, seek out colorful or shiny items to add to their nest for no apparent reason. These animals posess complex vocalizations, can laugh, sing (in the manner that birds sing, rather than whales or people) and recognize more than 100 distinct individuals in their social group.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!
Pages: 1 [2] 3