Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stuck with boring fortress, call for help: make me have FUN!  (Read 2599 times)

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey esteemed and revered fortress designers,
I find myself in a bit of a conundrum: my awesome fortress is fine, entertaining and thriving. I regularly repel sieges, titans and dragons, my military is top-notch with adamantine equipment, so no FUN from that (at most I lose a couple woodcutters to ambushes but nothing else). Everyone (111 dorfs) is AT LEAST content: the least happy of all is a baby who on dwarftherapist is shown as "content" with 95! So unless I start to seriously, intentionally mismanage no tantrum spirals to be had here...

My problem is: I cannot abandon it and revisit it with an adventurer: the game crashes on save, I think while unloading stuff... The save game is intact, and every time I abandon it crashes before completing the task... This is bad, I was looking forward to visiting it with an adventurer!

So, what should I do to make the fortress disappear in a glorious conflagration?
- I am already building a 4-pump-per-level stack to flood the world (painful grind, water is 40 levels down...)
- I have not breached any cave yet (I'm a very careful miner)
- I have (obviously) not breached HFS
- I am NOT going to pump magma up 80 levels, as much as I'd LOVE to [side note: is it possible to gen a world where magma is more accessible? I always tend to find it VERY deep and the pump stack building process is very painful...]

Unleash your creativity!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 03:55:33 am by Golcondio »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck with boring fortress, call for help: make me have FUN!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:58:45 am »

Cave in on a vital section of your fort, it must pierce at least five layers of your fort.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:16:11 am »

[side note: is it possible to gen a world where magma is more accessible? I always tend to find it VERY deep and the pump stack building process is very painful...]

The more caverns you have, the deeper the magma. I think there's also a worldgen parameter that lets you choose roughly how much rock there is between layers. I genned a world with minimal layers and one cavern; the cavern floor was 8z below the surface and magma started another 8z down.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 04:21:42 am »

The more caverns you have, the deeper the magma. I think there's also a worldgen parameter that lets you choose roughly how much rock there is between layers. I genned a world with minimal layers and one cavern; the cavern floor was 8z below the surface and magma started another 8z down.
Cool, I'll do that as soon as I'm done with this one!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 12:28:04 pm »

It's literally a medium-sized world with some cavern parameters changed to as listed in the spoiler. It's actually really easy to get near-the-surface magma. People just need to toy with worldgen parameters more - if you fiddle with them enough, you can get exactly the type of cavern you're looking for, not to mention the kind of world you want.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 03:10:20 pm »

It's literally a medium-sized world with some cavern parameters changed to as listed in the spoiler. It's actually really easy to get near-the-surface magma. People just need to toy with worldgen parameters more - if you fiddle with them enough, you can get exactly the type of cavern you're looking for, not to mention the kind of world you want.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Indeed, (relatively) near surface magma is easy to get, even with all 3 caverns.  Just go start up in a desert or some other flatland, and you'll be hard pressed to find an underground cross-section larger than 50 Z-levels, and that's including 5-10 layers for the HFS.  If you start removing the caverns, it will be even less than that.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:14:12 pm »

On topic: Bust into those caves. Get personal with a Forgotten Beast or two. I hear epidemics are all the rage this time of year.

Yeah I'll probably do that, as soon as I'm done slicing up the latest siege and testing my world flooding machine :)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 08:10:39 pm »

Forget flooding the world.  HFS is the way to go out.  Have all your civies lock themselves in their rooms and post your entire army right outside the breach.  Watch your army have it's valiant last adamantine-clad stand and the enjoy the carnage as the demons bust down your civies doors and butcher them all.

Much better than simple drowning.

EDIT:  Fix'd some typos
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:36:44 pm by Umi »

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 05:09:58 am »

Yeah, as impressed as I am with having built 152 screw pumps (3 for water reactors, 1 for the floodable entrance, and 148 for the 37-z stack), the flood is nothing as impressive or as fast as I thought...

I'll first go FB hunting with my 30 adamantine-clad legendaries (one of them is wielding an artifact adamantine mace, poor thing!), then if no funny syndrome arises, I'll go harass the HFS and see what fun can be had there...

As a side note, does anyone know WHY my game is crashing on exit (and/or how I can work around it)? I'd have really enjoyed rescuing an amazing adamantine breastplate as an adventurer...

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 05:25:48 am »

I wish you good syndrome hunting.  My current fort had two forgotten beasts in a year, one right after I finished butchering the first.  The first had poisonous gas that...made my dwarfs vomit for about two weeks.  The second had a warning for "poisonous blood", but then leaked ichor when it was killed (it was a slug after all).  I don't know if poisonous blood covers ichor, but every poison blood FB I get is an ichor-spewing creature and I haven't gotten anything from them.

Now, the FB that I didn't pay attention to and dropped some fireballs in my mead hall?  THAT was definitely !!Fun!!  :D
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 05:38:52 am »

Aww my military is making short work of all the FBs in the caves, and they all had poisonous bite if at all...
Now they're incessantly hacking to pieces a towering blob made of snow, which of course will never die: I'm planning a cave-in on all their heads, let's see who's the most hardcore!

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:20:39 pm »

148 for the 37-z stack
Why so many pumps for only 37 zs?
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 01:45:00 pm »

Because I put 4 in parallel per z-level of course! :)

btw the only way to kill that stupid snow blob (who PUSHED 2 recruits and one exhausted legendary to death) was to drop the ceiling on them all... I guess the miners will have to uncork the funmetal bottle without the help of the militia: I'm sure one of them will get a headshot through!

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 03:06:19 pm »

Break into hell. If you win with sheer military power and no cheap tricks, I commend you! If you don't.... well, you'll have Fun!
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 03:24:02 pm »

Hey what do you think I've been trying to do for the last hour? The adamantine pipe is SO -ING DEEP! I've been excavating it for 30 z-levels and they're still going!

EDIT: just as I was typing this, after 35 z-levels of adamantium, I heard horrifying screams from below! Let's see if my military can sing to the same tune!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:25:57 pm by Golcondio »
Pages: [1] 2