Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sudden Unexplained Pallor  (Read 1663 times)

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sudden Unexplained Pallor
« on: May 29, 2010, 12:56:08 am »

So I have this legendary mechanic. He's never been anywhere near a fight. He's linking a couple of bridges to a lever, so I go check on someone else for a little while (I like keeping my masons busy). When I check back, he's working on the second bridge and flashing injured. I check his wounds, and he's got "pale" listed.
He wasn't even bleeding a few minutes ago, he has no actual wounds, there are no enemies nearby, there are no combat reports involving him, and his medical history is completely empty.
What happened?!?!?

Update: I looked away from DF to write this post. I get back and two people standing in the middle of my fortress (far away from the mechanic) had bled to death.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 12:58:22 am by Yiab »

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden Unexplained Pallor
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 01:00:08 am »

So I have this legendary mechanic. He's never been anywhere near a fight. He's linking a couple of bridges to a lever, so I go check on someone else for a little while (I like keeping my masons busy). When I check back, he's working on the second bridge and flashing injured. I check his wounds, and he's got "pale" listed.
He wasn't even bleeding a few minutes ago, he has no actual wounds, there are no enemies nearby, there are no combat reports involving him, and his medical history is completely empty.
What happened?!?!?

Update: I looked away from DF to write this post. I get back and two people standing in the middle of my fortress (far away from the mechanic) had bled to death.

Sounds like a syndrome.  Fought any forgotten beasts lately?   Or melting dwarves due to scorching rain...

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:01:59 am »

Yeah, I just killed a forgotten beast about two levels and a quarter of the map away from him. I suppose he could have crossed paths with the dwarf hauling the corpse while he was picking up a mechanism - would that actually transfer a syndrome?

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:08:23 am »

Most syndromes are transmitted from the creature's blood or it's breath weapon. Chances are he stood in a pool of it.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:27:32 am »

I tried using dfcleanmap from dfhack to get rid of the blood on the ground, is there any other way to prevent the syndrome from spreading?

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 08:54:26 am »

Now all his fingers have fallen off, but he's still working and not in the hospital. I'm very confused.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:36:55 am »

Just had a mental picture of a pale fingerless Dwarf attaching tools to his hands.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 09:43:01 am »

Time to confine all injured dwarves to a burrow and all uninjured dwarves to quarters, with a solitary sacrificial janitor cleaning blood from the floors before locking himself in his tomb.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:48:50 am »

Still, with the blood tracking/spreading wierdness I've seen reported, that may or may not work very well.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 09:49:22 am »

Now all his fingers have fallen off, but he's still working and not in the hospital. I'm very confused.
Is he unhappy for losing the fingers? Is the condition spreading to other body parts?

Because if the answer is "no" to both, then you might as well infect your military: less appendages to cut off, less risk of injury, blood loss and bad thoughts!

... yeah my ideal soldiers in DF would be flesh balls...

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 10:12:48 am »

He has negative thoughts about having "sustained major injuries lately". Apparently his lip fat is gone too, according to his status screen, but it doesn't list anything about his fingers (it just says he's "very quick to tire, remarkably flimsy, totally clumsy and unfathomably weak" which could be a result of 10 dead fingers). His health status screen only lists "faint" as a problem, and he still has no medical history. His wounds page has changed from "pale" to "faint", but the fingers are still dead.

I think I'm not understanding something about this medical system.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 10:17:19 am »

Hmm what does the "wound" screen ('v'iew the unit, 'z', 'h') say? Does it say anything about "ability to grasp somewhat impaired"?
Did any doctor diagnose anything? I do hope you have a good diagnoser as Chief Medical Dwarf and that he's not doing anything else...

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 10:38:15 am »

"no evaluated wounds"
My chief medical dwarf is idling, but he's a crappy diagnoser. I also have three idling bone doctors, two idling surgeons, and one surgeon performing surgery.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 12:51:27 pm »

He'd have to be a pretty crappy diagnoser to not diagnose "Dude, your fingers are gone!" ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 12:54:38 pm »

Does he have any splatter in his inventory?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: [1] 2