Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst. Giant Cave Spider. Ever.  (Read 2765 times)

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worst. Giant Cave Spider. Ever.
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:40:20 pm »

So, I see the dreaded "Woodcutter interrupts work: Interrupted by GCS message. I thought I had cleared out the caverns on the upper levels, but apparently it crept along and attacked.

Bites the woodcutters baby in the head, it's paralyzed, it bleeds out. It attacks the woodcutter, trapping it in a web, and...

Its attacks constantly deflect off of her tattered clothing. It's broken her hands so far, but thats it, and he's been attacking for a few days now. My military just arrived, and should dispatch it easily, or, in a twist of fate, all die despite wearing metal masterwork armor.

EDIT: And then, after losing multiple legs, the cave spider finally bites the hapless woodcutter in the head and breaks her skull, and she bleeds to death. :(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:43:24 pm by Milskidasith »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Worst. Giant Cave Spider. Ever.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:30 pm »

the woodcutter was wearing silk clothing, yes? spider silk clothing is practically magical, due to some bug or other.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:01:55 pm »

the woodcutter was wearing silk clothing, yes? spider silk clothing is practically magical, due to some bug or other.

Ah, that makes more sense. The spider was also, according to its file, incredibly weak, but gigantic, so I dunno.

Has anybody else noticed that *every* animal has the gigantic tag? Are no animals merely *big* for their size? Are there no animals below the average size for that species? I don't get it.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 08:32:11 pm »

Ah, that makes more sense. The spider was also, according to its file, incredibly weak, but gigantic, so I dunno.

Has anybody else noticed that *every* animal has the gigantic tag? Are no animals merely *big* for their size? Are there no animals below the average size for that species? I don't get it.

Ah yeah, the IWGGCS.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:53:14 am »

The bug being that the game doesn't take into account that clothing is made from fabric, and assumes that the whole thing is made from a solid piece of silk. Silk is rather strong: it's been used in early bullet-proof vests and people are researching the use of (artificial) spider silk in modern ones. So it's not completely infeasible for silk clothing to alleviate the attack. However, it should be noted that those early silken bulletproof vests consisted of 18 to 30 layers of silk cloth.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 08:57:41 am »

The other, other problem is that the current raw values for chitin, tooth, horn, claw, etc are all using the same values as for skin by default, which results in bites and claws not being capable of penetrating skin since they are equally strong, and "glancing off" all clothing.  This, however, can be fixed fairly easily by modding the raws to more reasonable values (the values for bone are a good place to start).
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 01:23:09 pm »

Known bug yes.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 02:18:13 pm »

The small ones are too weak to survive.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:21:01 pm »

The problem with fantasy worlds is that if you try to apply scientific structure to them they tend to fall apart. Toady is legendary for even getting his worlds to generate under those conditions.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 09:24:38 pm »

The problem with [programmed, digital, or]fantasy worlds is that if you try to apply [actual] scientific structure to them [instead of some loosely based logic about what does what, in a way that can be programmed into a video game] they tend to fall apart. Toady is legendary for even getting his worlds to generate under those conditions [and for the unparalleled number of things we can do in/to those worlds].

fixed.  :)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 09:35:26 pm »

I just got an adamantine artifact statue, valued at 630 grand, depicting the giant cave spider eating my woodcutter.

This will NEVER be forgotten. Also, it menaces with sharkskin, and has images of crosses in sphalerite!

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 12:11:15 am »

I just got an adamantine artifact statue, valued at 630 grand, depicting the giant cave spider eating my woodcutter.

This will NEVER be forgotten. Also, it menaces with sharkskin, and has images of crosses in sphalerite!

I had an adamantine statue worth 3m in 40d, I wish I would have saved that fort.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 05:10:37 pm »

I had an adamantine statue worth 3m in 40d, I wish I would have saved that fort.

But did it depict someone getting their head torn off by a giant spider? No. No I didn't think so.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 09:15:11 pm »

I got an 880k artifact adamantine statue decorated with 10+ materials and depicting images of dogs falling and dogs burning.

Edit: Looked the shit up again. The statue is worth 1,680,000☼ but the image it depicts is of another artifact, a native platinum door, which has pictures of falling and burning dogs.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:26:22 pm by Noble Digger »
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.