Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unnamed Soldier Ant Spearwoman, you are my hero.  (Read 1332 times)

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unnamed Soldier Ant Spearwoman, you are my hero.
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:00:23 pm »

My fortress, Lakesmirrors, has been doing good. We have near infinite iron (Not great in this version), although no way to produce bronze and steel. We have a legendary armor and weaponsmith, so practically all of the military is rocking out with full sets of masterwork gear and they all have absurd fighting stats, although because of the way my game seems to be bugged, they don't train armor, so I have many "Novice armor user/shield user/legendary speardwarf/legendary fighters." Everything else is good; grand master gem cutter , grand master gem setter, a couple legendary carpenters, a couple legendary furnace operators/wood burners, a legendary mason, a legendary engraver, a legendary farmer, etc. Basically, my fortress got absurdly lucky with grand master migrants, and it's nearly completely self sustained.

Then, my military, going to clean up a wave of Elk Birds that were plaguing the caverns (by which I mean being next to each other at the edge of the map in a big group), discovered something. A forgotten beast, an eyelidless, poisonous capybarra, sitting in the water deep below. It swam off screen, and then I waited, not exploring any more. Checking the monsters screen, it showed no new info, just a beast with purple hair determined to murder me with eyelidless poisonous bites.

Then, I heard strange messages. The forgotten beast has stopped being enraged! appeared multiple times, along with an couple instances of "The soldier ant spearwoman has bonded to *tower cap shield*!" I figured there was some kind of infighting going on down below, and that the beast had murdered the soldier ants.

Then I explored deeper, feeling more confident about my military, and figuring if I died, at least it would be fun. I spot the beast, separated by deep water.

Every bone in its body, every organ, every toe on all four legs, its eyes, its eyelids, its mandibles, EVERYTHING, is either red or cyan. There are two dead soldier ants and the one lone spearwoman, with one broken arm. She's been fighting, since I saw her, for three months and two hundred pages of combat logs, and the beast itself has over three hundred pages of scars from her wooden spear, which is somehow not worn down. During the fighting I've seen, she has collapsed from exhaustion over two dozen times, but rises up to continually stab the barely moving creature.

Soldier ant woman, I salute you, for doing what was supposed to be the job of twenty armor plated dwarves, with merely a wooden stick and a couple of friends.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unnamed Soldier Ant Spearwoman, you are my hero.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:05:00 pm »

That's incredibly badass.

Make a shrine to celebrate her badassery. Sacrifice a dorf to it once every year on the anniversary of the beasts death. Assuming it ever dies, that is.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unnamed Soldier Ant Spearwoman, you are my hero.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:08:43 pm »

That's incredibly badass.

Make a shrine to celebrate her badassery. Sacrifice a dorf to it once every year on the anniversary of the beasts death. Assuming it ever dies, that is.

It won't die from just the spear; it can't decapitate or cut in half, the beast feels no pain, either doesn't die of bloodloss or just doesn't lose enough blood from these wounds, and it seems to be still breathing, so I'm sending my dwarves in, and unfortunately the spearwoman will either die or kill all my dwarfs  while blocking with four shields at once, one of the two.

I am currently working on building a way for my dwarfs to access the area; it involves digging a HUGE area out and then draining water into it so my dwarfs can wade through to her, because I don't feel like digging another vulnerable mineshaft and because of pathing bugs, my first one, which might be able to reach it, requires the dwarfs to go all the way around through my second one, then up a winding, twisty path, just because they want to dig from one side instead of the staircase, so they all get tired and thirsty before they reach it. In short, my entire plan is to build a giant pond and fill it with cave water, then send my military to wade through it. Or I might just fail and create another inaccessible route. It's definitely going to close off some layers of the current mineshaft, though.

EDIT: AWWW CRAP.

The miners struck REDACTED. Now that spearwoman might have to fight clowns, too.

EDIT X2: And I got to the fight, my military commander immediately bisected the ant spearman, but then started using a spear instead of an axe and managed to get beat up by a near totally broken monster that was merely *pushing* him, and I suspect he's going to die of bleeding, though he isn't pale or anything. Then three more axedwarfs arrived and promptly cut it in half, wee!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:26:09 pm by Milskidasith »