Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Insectoid Invasion [Testers/experienced modders wanted]  (Read 7095 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Insectoid Invasion [Testers/experienced modders wanted]
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2010, 07:52:20 pm »

Possibly being pointless, but should the child name for the Big Butterfly be Big Caterpillar or something?
Branching off that, would it be possible to use castes to actually make baby Big Butterflies actual caterpillars?

If it is possible, I suggest that! If it is not, I do not suggest that! It could go awry.
It would be possible, but caterpillars would never become butterflies. They'd either be born as butterflies or caterpillars, as the only thing you can change as an animal ages is it's size, so no metamorphosis, I'm afraid.
Also, good call on the child name, I'll see to that.

Now, to get to work on the Mantis.

Well, then. I guess that'll only be possible if Toady decides to change the way babies work.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2010, 07:57:47 pm »

Possibly being pointless, but should the child name for the Big Butterfly be Big Caterpillar or something?
Branching off that, would it be possible to use castes to actually make baby Big Butterflies actual caterpillars?

If it is possible, I suggest that! If it is not, I do not suggest that! It could go awry.
It would be possible, but caterpillars would never become butterflies. They'd either be born as butterflies or caterpillars, as the only thing you can change as an animal ages is it's size, so no metamorphosis, I'm afraid.
Also, good call on the child name, I'll see to that.

Well, then. I guess that'll only be possible if Toady decides to change the way babies work.
Yeah. I, among others, have lobbied for temporal castes.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2010, 08:30:57 am »

Hi!

I think the reason why your race's name doesn't work is that your entity file is missing the bit at the top.

Also, here is language file you can use:  (I made a Java app that makes languages easily.  It even adds a bit of meaning to the words.)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3035
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2010, 04:56:59 am »

I checked the entity file, and the top seems to be in order. Thanks for the language file. I'm trying to make something that would realistically develop from a race with mandibles rather than lips and such, a lot of hard consonants, but it's good to at least have something to stand in as a stand-in.
Also, I'm sort of fresh out of ideas. I've got some weapons, and I've started on the nobility. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to put. So far I have an overmistress, the equivalent of a king and queen, and undermasters/mistresses, who are similar to barons. What ought I put below them?
Also, quick question as I've been away from modding for a while, am I right in thinking that the scale for size has changed with the most recent versions?

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2010, 06:42:46 am »

As soon as you get this mod working without too many bugs (lol) I'm downloading it.
Thing is, I don't quite know enough about modding to properly fix bugs. I can figure out how to make stuff, but not how to perfect it. I still haven't the foggiest idea why the klik's race name appears as "nothing", let alone some of the more elusive problems. If anyone knows/is a more experienced modder willing to give my meagre efforts the once-over, I would be eternally grateful.

they're 'nothing' because you haven't defined a [CASTE_NAME] for them anywhere in the creature entry at any level, and the arena goes by male/female caste for display.  Since they have no racial default or seperate caste name defined... 'nothing'.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 06:47:12 am by kwd1968 »

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2010, 08:01:27 am »

As soon as you get this mod working without too many bugs (lol) I'm downloading it.
Thing is, I don't quite know enough about modding to properly fix bugs. I can figure out how to make stuff, but not how to perfect it. I still haven't the foggiest idea why the klik's race name appears as "nothing", let alone some of the more elusive problems. If anyone knows/is a more experienced modder willing to give my meagre efforts the once-over, I would be eternally grateful.

they're 'nothing' because you haven't defined a [CASTE_NAME] for them anywhere in the creature entry at any level, and the arena goes by male/female caste for display.  Since they have no racial default or seperate caste name defined... 'nothing'.
You just gave me a cupful of water from the Fountain of Youth inside the Holy Grail, delivered in the Ark of the Covenant.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2010, 06:12:19 pm »

I have just given you a cup full of water from the Fountain of Youth inside the Holy Grail, delivered in the Ark of the Covenant.

In other words, how is the project going?

(necrothreadia is a dangerous practice*, I DO NOT ADVISE IT!)

*Your resurrected threads may turn against you and eat you (or burn you to death)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]