Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crundle Pets!  (Read 1551 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Crundle Pets!
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:18:24 pm »

The last time I dug down to a cavern, I had some annoyances with crundles. They didn't hurt anyone, but they did cause a lot of interruptions, especially for my weavers. For my next fort, I'm thinking about dealing with them in a different way: Befriending them. Of course, according to the DF wiki, they're not all that great for butchery or fighting. But I think they're cute. Like kobolds.

Any thoughts on what I could do with a little tribe of tamed crundles?

Some thoughts of my own:

1. Early warning system: Let them wander the caverns. If something nasty comes into the cavern, it might kill the crundles first, possibly notifying me in the process.

2. Explorers: While wandering, they'd be revealing more of the caves, and they're more expendable than dwarves in case they find something nasty.

Of course, I could use some suggestions for how to tame them and possibly exercise a tiny bit of control, since I've never tamed anything before. I'll be reading more in the wiki.

EDIT: Just noticed that the Dungeon Master's apparently bugged. I may have to contemplate doing my first big of jiggery with the raw files.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:46:13 pm by Bronze Dog »
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crundle Pets!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:44:50 pm »

To make (almost) any critter tameable, you just have to add a petvalue tag, a pet tag, and if you want war/hunting versions of it, trainable. That's how I made War Grimelings in one of my forts. You don't have to regenerate the world at all.

If it's already a pet-type critter, just change the exotic pet tag to the pet tag.

Anyways in Dwarf Mode the best bet is to assign them as war animals and get them to guard anyone who's going to spend a lot of time outdoors or in the cavern - they'll hopefully take the brunt of the attack or otherwise let the dwarf get to safety. Since they're tame animals, they'll just hang around your dining hall unless they're assigned to someone...
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:00:51 pm »

Yeah, I'm reading up on the tags and tokens right now. Probably going to change the Pet_Exotic tag to just Pet for the basic stuff. I am thinking of making them trainable, as well as looking for other tags that might make them a tad more interesting or useful.

I have heard about a method of sending a cat to explore by constantly setting new "meeting places" at the edge of the cat's vision. I guess I'm looking for clever tricks like that to manipulate pets into doing something useful.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »

Some info: the cats different behaviour comes from the vermin_hunter tag. They generaly stick around meeting zones and places dwarves have been. Possibly they are also attracted to food stockpiles due to the vermn there. Setting up food stockpiles and forbidding them seems like a good idea, though some creature will eventualy eat/drink it.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:28:05 am »

CtrlH

_EXOTIC] -> ]

Replace All

Problem solved.
くコ:彡

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 07:59:43 am »

CtrlH

_EXOTIC] -> ]

Replace All

Problem solved.

May I suggest using Notepad++ for this, since it allows you to do a find-and-replace in all open tabs (files) at once.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:32:43 am »

Something possibly even more interesting: Go through all 'creature_whatever" files and completely REMOVE all instances of both [PET] and [PET_EXOTIC]. And [TRAINABLE]. Then replace all "[NAME" with "[PET][TRAINABLE][NAME" (since every creature has a NAME). There you go - everything in the game can NOW be made into war beasts.