Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Packaged Sample Fortresses  (Read 799 times)

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Packaged Sample Fortresses
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

This is kinda bloat-y but shouldn't be hard to implement.

Wouldn't it be nice if you sat down to play Dwarf Fortress for the very first time... and there was a sample fortress already there to get you started?  Wouldn't need much... a pregenerated world with a saved game.  Maybe 15-20 dwarves, each with meager bedrooms and a dining room.  A few military dwarves, a mason, carpenter, miner, smith, woodcutter, and a few farmers.  A small plot, already set to get planted every season, and show everyone how it's done.

Why?  Because it would answer a lot of the most frequently asked questions on this board.

Maybe it could even just be an optional download.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Packaged Sample Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »

As an optional download it works; but the best way to learn the game is to jump in and start making stuff (like mistakes) on your own, I think.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

Toady is actually planning to do something like this.

quote:
From http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_v1.html  : <STRONG>ADVANCED HELP ARC: Yeah, dwarves has a steep learning curve. Tutorials and advisors could help this, as well as decent in-game help. Related to Core19 and Core22.</STRONG>

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

I read the OP as more of a "Here's a pre-made fort to muck around in" rather than a tutorial.

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:51:00 pm »

Gotta go with Capntastic on this one. Could even feature a video of how they got to that point (or a short video - this is how you dig, add stairs, make piles, and set up a simple farm).

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 12:02:00 am »

A modified .cmv file could work for a tutorial, I bet.   All that's needed is a way to add text, and one could watch and learn pretty quick.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

What I could see being somewhat useful would be a "playground" fortress with a built-in tutorial. Said fortress would have:

* One dwarf
* Three rooms in a soil layer, all empty
* A guided tour

All of the dwarf's labors would be activated, and all of his skills would be at Proficient level. The player would get walked through a few tasks:

* Moving the screen around
* Looking at things
* Viewing dwarves
* Building a farm plot and planting seeds
* Digging, including stairs (to go down to the stone layer below to get some stone)
* Building a mason's workshop (with the stone thus uncovered)
* Building a chair and table, and placing them
* Harvesting plants (and watching the dwarf eat; eating, sleeping, etc. would only occur at scripted points)
* Building a carpenter's shop, and a bed
* Placing the bed, and watching the dwarf fall asleep

I don't think such a tutorial would need more than ten minutes or so of player time to run through, and at the end the player would have a reasonable grasp of how to play the game, and some subtle hints as to useful things to do (i.e. mining, farming, making beds and dining rooms).

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 01:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>I read the OP as more of a "Here's a pre-made fort to muck around in" rather than a tutorial.</STRONG>
Exactly.  With the side benefit of circulating ideas about fortress design, 'cause somebody else designed this one.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster