Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Moon hoax people  (Read 3503 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Moon hoax people
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2010, 11:17:52 pm »

It's technically possible that the moon landing is real, but equally possible that it was faked. There's still that big question about where the flag is. My biggest doubt is that they needed to build a massive computers to get planes to drop bombs on the goddamn target a few years before that... how the hell can they do the precision calculations needed to land someone on the moon when they literally can't hit the broad side of a factory with their trajectory calculations? On the other hand, they did invent nukes, and nuclear physics is difficult.

You're comparing dropping a mass produced 250 pound bomb from a mass produced bomber currently being peppered with flak fire and trying to hold its formation with fifty other mass produced bombers, half of whom are being shot down, flying over Germany where you don't know the local weather conditions but only your airspeed and crosswind at 25,000 feet while a college graduate steers and a vocational student dials on a mass produced bombsite that can drop a bomb in a pickle barrel on a clear day but this is not a clear day, this is the most intense thirty seconds of your life with scattered clouds and a chance of exploding in the next minute and a school across the street from your target...

To thousands of engineers building a custom lunar module with its own course altering power into the frictionless vacuum of space in a project with no real time constraints beyond "sometime before the next thunderstorm", and did we mention quadruple check your math?

Very false comparison.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2010, 02:25:12 am »

You know how the Flat Earth Society exists now as a sarcastic thing? How about a Moon Hoax Society where everyone signs a document stating that they categorically deny that the Moon has ever existed?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2010, 02:36:06 am »

I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2010, 02:38:30 am »

Done.
Quite so. There is no defense against your Web-Fu.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2010, 02:40:50 am »

Coincidentally, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic title.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ililiilliillliii

• Bay Watcher
  • God bless you, astronaut cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2010, 05:15:53 am »

I can't believe nobody has said anything about the artifact quality video that I linked to at the beginning!  Did you guys watch it!?  Watching those 7.6 million pounds of thrust completely incinerate the pad, leaving it a blackened and steaming wasteland made my week when I first saw it.  It's an affirmation that we (as a race of intelligent beings) are capable of harnessing the incredible energy of the natural world and making it our bitch, more or less.  Unfortunately the reverse tends to happen pretty often, but we all know that and that's not news.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2010, 05:48:01 am »

It's technically possible that the moon landing is real, but equally possible that it was faked. There's still that big question about where the flag is. My biggest doubt is that they needed to build a massive computers to get planes to drop bombs on the goddamn target a few years before that... how the hell can they do the precision calculations needed to land someone on the moon when they literally can't hit the broad side of a factory with their trajectory calculations? On the other hand, they did invent nukes, and nuclear physics is difficult.

You're comparing dropping a mass produced 250 pound bomb from a mass produced bomber currently being peppered with flak fire and trying to hold its formation with fifty other mass produced bombers, half of whom are being shot down, flying over Germany where you don't know the local weather conditions but only your airspeed and crosswind at 25,000 feet while a college graduate steers and a vocational student dials on a mass produced bombsite that can drop a bomb in a pickle barrel on a clear day but this is not a clear day, this is the most intense thirty seconds of your life with scattered clouds and a chance of exploding in the next minute and a school across the street from your target...

To thousands of engineers building a custom lunar module with its own course altering power into the frictionless vacuum of space in a project with no real time constraints beyond "sometime before the next thunderstorm", and did we mention quadruple check your math?

Very false comparison.
So what you're saying is that space travel is easier than dropping bombs?

YAY! :P

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2010, 06:41:03 am »

We went to the moon.We came back.
Sorry guys,no conspiracy.We promise when we land on mars we'll make it look really fake so you'll have something else to argue about for another 40 years.

Sarcasm aside,That's all i got to really say about this topic.Smarter people than I have already explained in detail it's validity.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2010, 06:58:42 am »

Very false comparison.
So what you're saying is that space travel is easier than dropping bombs?

YAY! :P

If you drop a bomb with a million dollars worth of equipment and a seven man crew compared to a billion dollars of equipment and a ten thousand man crew; yes.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2010, 07:05:08 am »

I can't believe nobody has said anything about the artifact quality video that I linked to at the beginning!  Did you guys watch it!?
It might have something to do with a general reluctance to click on links posted by Escaped Lunatics, especially with nicks consisting only of two letters repeated randomly.
The fact that you've mentioned the moon hoax might have also played a role in redirecting the attention of the posters.
After all, everyone has something to say about conspiration theories, while there's a limited number of true spaceflight geeks.

As for the video, it did not feel much of an uplifting excitement that you've apparently experienced watching it. Perhaps I've grown to accept this sort of engineering feats as a norm, after years of exposure to the very idea of spaceflight.

If you'd like to know what really got me to experience a bit of katharsis, then go and look up the 2005 video of Huygens probe landing on Titan.
Actually, here's a link: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/multimedia/pia08117.html

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2010, 07:44:45 am »

I think the video looked faked. :P

They all do, actually. Videos of the launches. I think this is mostly because I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. The Saturn V rocket is just too large to mentally classify as a "vehicle", let alone a flying one. There is no sound, because the only sound it makes is an eardrum-shattering rumble that would permanently deafen anyone who was nearby to listen. It looks like it shouldn't lift off so smoothly and gracefully. How should it lift off? How should I know? There is absolutely nothing that has occurred in any other context that is similar to a three-thousand-ton metal tube rising into the sky.

EDIT: In case it was ambiguous, I'm not actually doubting the authencity of this video. The launches had pretty huge audiences. If the moon landings were good enough for Soviet intelligence, they're good enough for me. ::)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:53:11 am by Soadreqm »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2010, 07:50:29 am »

The video has a commentary.

And it is 500 frames per second.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2010, 07:56:47 am »

I can't believe nobody has said anything about the artifact quality video that I linked to at the beginning!  Did you guys watch it!?  Watching those 7.6 million pounds of thrust completely incinerate the pad, leaving it a blackened and steaming wasteland made my week when I first saw it.  It's an affirmation that we (as a race of intelligent beings) are capable of harnessing the incredible energy of the natural world and making it our bitch, more or less.  Unfortunately the reverse tends to happen pretty often, but we all know that and that's not news.

I avoid high quality videos because of bandwidth restrictions :P

Meh, I don't see space travel as anything magical. It's sort of like the colonial age when European nations built huge ships to travel all over the world. And even back then, China overdid it a little. I expect China to build a huge-ass spacecraft within the next 100 years to build a basic colony somewhere in space, lol.

Today, every major country's going to be working on a space program, and nukes will soon be what cannons were in the late medieval age. Even if moon landings weren't possible back then, they certainly are now, and I'd hope we could see some proper research being done there.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2010, 07:58:34 am »

I think the video looked faked. :P

That your troll face?

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2010, 11:30:02 am »

I thought the video was pretty nice. Something about slow motion just makes things... cool. I don't find it particularly inspiring though. Now, the Pale Blue Dot, while being old and extensively used, is incredible.

The probe wasn't even anywhere near the outer boundaries of the solar system when it took that picture. Yet we're already reduced to a single pixel. Space is big. Big. Even trying to comprehend the size of our measly little solar system isn't possible to do without abstracting the idea into meaninglessness. Kinda makes me sad when sci-fi shows just jump around galaxies and universes like they're flying in a jet over something the size of a slightly largish continent, or, to get a bit too uh, philosophical, why I dislike most religious mindsets - they reduce the idea of a divine being who created this to a petty, smallminded creature who apparently cares what we, impossibly complex arrangements of uncounted trillions of components mostly made of empty space, living on an impossibly tiny speck of dust which orbits an impossibly tiny fireball in an impossibly complex cluster of uncounted trillions of other fireballs which is also mostly made of empty space, do to each other, or what arrangements of components we put on ourselves as clothing, or what actions our arrangement of chemical and electrical impulses prompt us to do to make our chemical and electrical impulses re-arrange themselves into a pattern that we find more pleasing. It's almost an insult to whatever set this system of amazingly complex chaotic relations into motion.

Aaand, back on the sci-fi/scale note, Larry Niven's Ringworld series is great. Has some kickass descriptive writing.
I'm Mr. Cellophane
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]