Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Moon hoax people  (Read 3507 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Moon hoax people
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 02:14:13 pm »

Hmmm, do they teach calculus in high schools where you live?
Gravitational forces from two objects, varying with position on the trajectory; mass getting reduced each moment the engines burn; non-static surface of the target; braking in the atmosphere - good luck with all that and most likely more.
It's taught in high school here in south carolina. And all those problems can be solved with some relatively basic calculus.

A. Bay 12 is troll free, unlike other forums.

B. Bay 12 is moon landing hoaxer free, unlike other forums.

Coincidence? I think not!
Yeah, the average IQ here is above 50, unlike most forums. This makes us immune to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We prove penny arcade wrong!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 02:15:23 pm »

Well, I hope you see my post. I have an easy argument you can use to make absolutely anyone look like an ass if they say the moon landing was fake.

You know the long legs on the moon lander, and the fact that Armstrong had to jump down, alongside the whole comically inappropriate prepared speech about "one small step"?

Scientists expected several feet of moon dust, and the exit from the lander was supposed to be nearly flush with ground level. Several obvious clues like this discredit any suggestion that it was fimed in a studio. This one in particular is extremely obvious, and will shut up your opponents quickly.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:17:21 pm by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 02:16:57 pm »

They teach it in my high school as well. In fact, there's a Calculus II class going to be made for some of us math-folks that get that far.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 02:43:04 pm »

They teach it in my high school as well. In fact, there's a Calculus II class going to be made for some of us math-folks that get that far.
It's extremely nice to get that out of the way, especially in a small class. I took that class in a class with a grand total of three students. We all were able to goof off most days. Of course, our version of goofing off was "Look at this cool math concept" instead of "this concept will be on the test"
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 03:09:32 pm »

Where do you live? It may not get very advanced but of course they teach calculus in high school.
Poland. And all we had in our high school was basic differentiation. I don't think we ever did integration(I hope I've got this translated properly), apart from that simplest {integration sign}xa dx, but it was all more of a novelty than a required material.
I bet that to solve the trajectory problem, you'd need to go as far as differntial equations, which I've only met during my university years.
Too bad Vector is gone, as she'd know better.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »

Why do surprisingly many people insist it was faked?  It seems like it's basically rooted in a deep mistrust of the government that was maybe warranted in the 60's (what with the CIA testing drugs on unwitting subjects, the environment of the cold war and all) but has stuck around and stayed fashionable until today.

Yeah, I think mistrust has it. Propaganda was exceptionally important during that period, and it translated into military and economic power. I'm skeptical myself because my family tends to work closely with a lot of liars up in government. Conspiracy happens a lot in governments. One reason I belief them is that some conspiracies fall flat on their face and everyone tends to pick up on it after seeing the epic fail.

The most paranoid people are the ones up in government. People who lie a lot don't believe what others say. Fidel Castro and Saddam Hussein, both enemies of the USA were insanely paranoid. And there's a good reason for it too, because the USA is the best in the world at getting their conspiracies working right.. if you can do rocket science, certainly it's easier to plan out a good conspiracy.

It's technically possible that the moon landing is real, but equally possible that it was faked. There's still that big question about where the flag is. My biggest doubt is that they needed to build a massive computers to get planes to drop bombs on the goddamn target a few years before that... how the hell can they do the precision calculations needed to land someone on the moon when they literally can't hit the broad side of a factory with their trajectory calculations? On the other hand, they did invent nukes, and nuclear physics is difficult.

Of course, there's the loads of stupid people out there who don't believe it. Don't bother with them.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 03:16:36 pm »

High school only touched on calculus, in physics we did do two body gravitation but is was more "follow this formula" than any deep understanding.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 03:30:19 pm »

I'd be easier to just find the lander legs since those got left behind as well...then look around for the flag and footprints.

UUUU CANT TRUST ASTROLOGERS, THEYER ON NNASAWS SIDE, SHEEPERSON!
I USE MY BIENOCULARZ AN I DID NOT'T SEE A FLAG.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 03:32:19 pm »

The moon landing wasn't the hoax. The moon was the hoax. What better way to disguise a government observation facility than to pretend it's a barren satellite orbiting the Earth and land a shuttle on it?

Open your eyes, people.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 03:43:17 pm »

You know what's the biggest hoax ever? Belgium!
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 03:43:52 pm »

The moon landing wasn't the hoax. The moon was the hoax. What better way to disguise a government observation facility than to pretend it's a barren satellite orbiting the Earth and land a shuttle on it?

Open your eyes, people.
You mean... THAT'S NO MOON?!?!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »

If you believe the moon landing is fake, then really, you shouldn't believe in satellites or space stations either. You think it's complicated launching rockets in space towards huge objects, imagine trying to orbit relatively small space stations around the earth at certain heights to keep them from falling back to earth, then on a regular basis, send shuttles into space, and dock with these satellites and space stations - without dramatically changing their angular momentum.

The moon is sooo much easier to believe. They basically had a rocket full of scientists. It's the ultimate smart bomb.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 03:47:44 pm »

The pause in thought identifies you as a non-bullshitter.

Seriously dude.

Person A talks to you about how the moonlanding was fake, knowing full well his version is completely full of shit.

You respond that it was real using science.

Person A simply makes a new sack of shit next time he talks to you.

You wonder why rational explainations have no effect, rather stupidly.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:59:00 pm by eerr »

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 03:56:12 pm »

I've heard alot of conspircy theorists in my day, due to having the tolerance to befriend people that believe in such inane stuff.

The best one was a friend that claimed that people have never put ANYTHING outside of the atmosphere at all. He claims escape velocity is impossible to achieve with our technology (and even had the mathematic "proof" which I could never have decoded) and the space shuttle justs blasts off from Florida and lands in Spain. Other launches are just sounding rockets for upper atmosphere research. GPS is actually a system of HAM radio signal triangulation and satellite photos are taken by spy planes or "stealth blimps" and hubble-telescope images are from earth-based scopes.

Footage shot from outer space was computer imagery.

However, this was before the NASA channel and their endless footage of astronaunts floating around the ISS. Guy explained everything in such a scientific manner I almost believed him, but I can't think of any way he could explain some astronaunt giving a tour of the boring crap inside the ISS.

I think he probably just made that "theory" up to fuck with me now that I think about it.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 04:04:03 pm »

tourism, even fake tourism brings in real money.

Duh.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5