Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: EXPEDITION LEADER IS A FISH  (Read 2834 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
EXPEDITION LEADER IS A FISH
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:55:32 am »

Speaks for itself.
A while after that it wandered off the map and I knew that no expedition leader means you can't ever get any nobles, so I abandoned and reclaimed.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EXPEDITION LEADER IS A FISH
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:56:30 am »

Can I have that tileset and your grid size?

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 04:11:22 am »

100x75 File:CGA8x8thin.png
but you're missing the point

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:20:41 am »

100x75 File:CGA8x8thin.png
but you're missing the point

What was your point?  You didn't make one in the OP  ;D

If you'd trapped it in a pond, you could have had a mayor making mandates for food flakes and banning export of scales.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:21:25 am »

How in hells name did you manage that?

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 04:24:43 am »

How in hells name did you manage that?
No idea. It just happened when I reclaimed.

What was your point?  You didn't make one in the OP  ;D

If you'd trapped it in a pond, you could have had a mayor making mandates for food flakes and banning export of scales.
Except I had no way of telling which out of the forty or so longnose gar it was.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 04:27:34 am »

Hi!

So, you reclaimed a fortress. That is already important information you didn't provide. I was wondering how that could happen if you prepare carefully.

Now, the other question everyone is wondering about: Have you done ANY modding at all? Mind you, it need not be in files obviously related to dwarves or gars, problems can spread under the surface to reach fruition in unexpected locations.

Too bad it wasn't a kitten. That would have been the perfect start :) :) :)

Deathworks

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 04:53:08 am »

No mods at all. Do you always start your posts with "Hi!" and end them with "Deathworks"?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:39:59 am »

My hunch is that it's the worldgen historic figure bug, where your dwarves are replaced with some random worldgen figure. This would imply that a longnose gar is in your legends...
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 05:49:16 am »

No mods at all. Do you always start your posts with "Hi!" and end them with "Deathworks"?

Yes. It's one of Deathwork's quirks, and one of the things we like about him (her? It's just occured to me i don't know your gender, sorry Deathworks)

The part i'm curious about is that if this longnose gar is being registered as a member of your fortress, doesn't that mean that it should stay instead of migrating off the map?
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 05:54:13 am »

Hi!

But there is something fishy about that (sorry, couldn't resist): It is unnamed, it seems. As far as I know, everyone who does something to become a historic figure gets a name (like all the animals that end the careers of hunters).

My first intuition would have been the animal people bug - that animal people who killed hostiles became friendly. But again, the moment that gar killed someone, it would have earned a name.

I guess you have no save with that situation (like an on-embark save)? There seem to be quite a few bugs there at work, so handing in that save for further investigation would have been nice, I think.

As for the salute and my signature, it is my habit to salute people on the forums as my personal expression of respect and to end my posts with signing my name to declare that I am taking responsibility for what I have written and am aware of it. I hope you can forgive me my slightly eccentric mannerism.

Deathworks

EDIT: I really need to type faster. To answer your question, Tyrius: I am a male. (Some people have suggested that everyone who has a drawing of a female for their avatar is a male, but you never know with such rules, I guess :) :) :) ).

EDIT II: Fixed stupid grammar typo.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:09:02 am by Deathworks »

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 05:58:35 am »

That fish maybe might be a historial figure with a name, now that it had its been the leader of a dwarven settlement.

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 06:00:11 am »

No worries. It wasn;t exactly an important piece of information, but I like to be able to say 'him' or 'her' rather than the gender neutral words, because they always see impersonal to me.

anywho, back to immibis, was your subsequent reclaim functional? any misplaced entity members?
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 08:06:11 am »

"and so, longnose gar decided to rally his faithful band of carp and found a new fortress for the glory of Fishfungus"

Trowzers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 08:41:33 am »

It's thread titles like this that make me love the bugs on Dwarf Fortress more than any other game <3
Pages: [1] 2