Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The "Stone Problem" Solution.  (Read 3035 times)

veryinky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Stone Problem" Solution.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

Personally, I like the idea of all mining generating slag that needs to be removed. I'd go so far as saying that a failed mining roll should generate "gravel" instead of a large usable stone.

As for excess stone.
1) Allow blocks to be usable in reactions. (allows compressing the flux down at least)
2) ROADS. Make roads useful again in so far as defining where caravans spawn. Further, an option in the manager menu for a project "build road link".

A 3 wide road of 10 squares of length would use up about 900 stones/blocks to get across a regional map square. If a dwarf's fort is about 10 squares away from the nearest human city, that worldmap road would use up 9000 stones (or blocks or gravel). Once a build road project is activated, jobs to haul the stones to the map edge are made and the stone is taken off map (presumably building a road linking the fort with the human trade network)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zonhin:
<STRONG>hahaha hell no.</STRONG>

Seconded.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Drunken:
<STRONG>[snip]</STRONG>

Seconded.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

If anything like this does happen, it'll probably come in related to the addition of "semi liquids" like sand, dirt and gravel.

Most real life ore and waste rock comes out of mines as gravel (what the earlier poster termed "slag"), not as blocks of stone.  Generally, only stone that is intended to be used as blocks or sheets gets cut out that way... all other mining just chips or blasts the rock into gravel.

Oddly, I was thinking about this very topic last night. Making mining primarily generate gravel/slag would, eventually, result in most fortresses being surrounded , anthill-like, by piles of the stuff. A nearby cliff or chasm to dump your mining waste off of would become another "must-have" terrain feature for "easier" forts.

Overall, I don't mind the idea... and there are several good options for discriminating between 'fast' mining (pound it into slag and haul it out) and 'careful' mining (carefully carve out this block). I'd probably have all mining just generate gravel and set a new designation for 'carve blocks from this area', which would require Masonry and would replace the existing 'make block from stone' option. Slag/gravel, like ore, would be binnable. it would be nice (possibly essential if we go this direction) for dwarves to be able to use containers (bags, bins) while collecting and moving gravel-like substances, similar to how buckets and bags work for water and sand. A dwarf going on a 'put gravel in stockpile' run would, preferentially, grab a bin, go to the gravel, fill the bin with as much gravel as he could find, then carry the bin to the stockpile and dump out the gravel.

Later, if ventilation gets added so the smoke from your forges needs somewhere to go, forts on the plains will end up dotting the landscape with piles of slag and spewing smoke from fissures and chimneys. Oh won't the elves be pleased!  :D

Pages: 1 [2]