Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The "Stone Problem" Solution.  (Read 3036 times)

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The "Stone Problem" Solution.
« on: February 06, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

I had this idea for quite a long time, a idea to fix the dreaded stone problem. If you don't know what I'm talking about I will explain. Every time you mine into rock wall you get rewarded with stone. Stone is a great thing, but when your fortress has stone lying every where, it gets quite annoying. To fix this problem we must not lessen the chance of getting stone, but to make 2 different types of digging.
These are...

d-d Conserve stone Mine: Same old mining that we known through out the ages. The miner conserves the stone when digging into a wall.

d-D Remove stone Mine: This form of mining will take longer to do but the miner will destroy the stone after he clears the wall.

If you need me to elaborate just ask. Otherwise, what do you think?

ey

helium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Stone Problem" Solution.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

What? Removing excavating would be too unrealistic, would the miner grind the stone into dust and snort it or what?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:58:09 pm by penguinofhonor »

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by helium:
<STRONG>What? Removing excavating would be too unrealistic, would the miner grind the stone into dust and snort it or what?</STRONG>

Well a unexperienced miner has a lesser chance of getting stone, I had a new miner clear a room with out getting any stone... But a legendary miner has almost a 100% of getting a stone drop.

ey

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

I'm one of those who deliberately seeks out locations with several layers of sand, silt, and clay, just to avoid having too much stone.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

Just build catapults or throw them into a lava vent.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

Or mill them into rock crafts and buy out the human caravans.

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Inquisitor Saturn:
<STRONG>I'm one of those who deliberately seeks out locations with several layers of sand, silt, and clay, just to avoid having too much stone.</STRONG>

Yah same here.

ey

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 12:52:00 am »

Heh I do the same but for the opposite reason. By the time my miner starts to do his digging in the rock layers, he's achieved sufficient level to not lose any stone and more importantly, gems and ore.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 01:15:00 am »

I know this has been discussed at length but I have rarely seen anyone put forward the following opinion:

When you mine in real life you cut out the stone/earth/mineral from the mining area, this is generally the easiest part. The big problem with real life mining is the logistical effort of removing all that material from the mine. In the real world you cant mine any further until it is gone. More experienced miners do not mine out more material than inexperienced miners, they just mine out more useable material.

If the nature of stone in the game is changed substantially, here are my suggestions, they are not designed to make things easier for whining momma's boys who complain about stones everywhere making things "look untidy". They are designed to make it more realistic and therefore MORE difficult to deal with stone in your fortress.

1) Dwarves are unable to move through squares with stone in them and therefore mining a one tile wide passageway would require moving each individual stone before mining the next one. (Remember these stones are the size of a dwarfs height squared)

2) When an  unskilled miner digs and does not get usable rock (it is assumed that a skilled miner cuts out large square multi purpose blocks whereas a less skilled miner might crack, shatter, or otherwise damage the rock so as to make the pieces unusable) it should drop an item called slag, which comes in all the relevant types ie. granite slag, diorite slag etc. This would have all the same properties as normal rock but would not be able to be used to build or craft. This slag would still be impassable and need to be removed to a stockpile. Slag would be unnecessary for ores as they are melted down anyway, but slag should be dropped as a percentage chance on all smelt ore actions, clogging up the smelters and requiring more hauling.

as 1 and 2 result in dealing with stone becoming exponentially more difficult, the rest of my ideas will focus on trying to fix this just a little bit.

3) Although stone would remain unstackable in the game sense it should be stackable in the more obvious sense that you should be able to build ramps next to a full stone stockpile and stack more stone directly on top of the rest on the next z-level extending it vertically rather than having to have giant sprawling fields of stone.

4) Tracks should be able to be laid between two stockpiles, one small and one large, with the large one having a designation like 'wagon only' so that haulers dont try and walk all the way there with one stone. The tracks could have small 1 tile wagons (think Indiana Jones) that can hold something like 10 rocks. at the mining end you would have 2 or 3 haulers hauling rock directly from the face to the small stockpile. Then you would have one hauler who would be on wagon duty, he would arrive at the small stockpile, load the wagon with stones, and then drive them all to the other end, and unload the stones in a larger, out of the way stockpile for storage. The tracks could be made from stone wood or metal but the wagons would move fastest over metal.

5) If slag and rock are dumped in the same place the could form new ground which would bury other items in the dump zone and if on flat ground create a hill, or if in a pit or depression, fill it. Being able to bury things could make for fun treasure hunt scenarios and also burying people alive, not to mention simply being able to reshape the landscape more freely. This would also hopefully help with the slowdown issues..

6) These suggestions should all be part of a STONE: ON, ORE: ON option in the init which when turned off would remove all stone drops altogether for slower computers. A list could be kept as to what has been found by mining and all jobs that require that type should be from then on assumed to have a plentiful supply. I understand that turning this off would remove a lot of the fun and realism from mining but it would also enable people with slower computers to play better. A lot of people don't even have the processor power to cope with the current stone setup let alone what I am proposing here.

That is all. I realise that implementing these is a massive task and was not seriously expecting this to be done. I just want to propose an alternative view on stone, as it seems that everyone wants a world where stone just evaporates at will, rather than deal with the real logistics of hollowing out an entire mountain. IT ISN'T MEANT TO BE EASY.

A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Zonhin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 02:01:00 am »

hahaha hell no.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 03:22:00 am »

I like the idea of having to deal with slag.  Then again I'd also like to see mining involve more effort and be slightly more hazardous in general - for a much greater volume be required to be left behind to prevent cave-ins, to have gas and dust pockets, maybe even air supply issues, all that sort of thing that's been mentioned elsewhere.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 03:25:00 am »

LOL, would we assign canaries to miners and get a message when a canary died?
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 04:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Drunken:
<STRONG>I know this has been discussed at length but I have rarely seen anyone put forward the following opinion:

When you mine in real life you cut out the stone/earth/mineral from the mining area, this is generally the easiest part. The big problem with real life mining is the logistical effort of removing all that material from the mine. In the real world you cant mine any further until it is gone. More experienced miners do not mine out more material than inexperienced miners, they just mine out more useable material.

If the nature of stone in the game is changed substantially, here are my suggestions, they are not designed to make things easier for whining momma's boys who complain about stones everywhere making things "look untidy". They are designed to make it more realistic and therefore MORE difficult to deal with stone in your fortress.

1) Dwarves are unable to move through squares with stone in them and therefore mining a one tile wide passageway would require moving each individual stone before mining the next one. (Remember these stones are the size of a dwarfs height squared)

2) When an  unskilled miner digs and does not get usable rock (it is assumed that a skilled miner cuts out large square multi purpose blocks whereas a less skilled miner might crack, shatter, or otherwise damage the rock so as to make the pieces unusable) it should drop an item called slag, which comes in all the relevant types ie. granite slag, diorite slag etc. This would have all the same properties as normal rock but would not be able to be used to build or craft. This slag would still be impassable and need to be removed to a stockpile. Slag would be unnecessary for ores as they are melted down anyway, but slag should be dropped as a percentage chance on all smelt ore actions, clogging up the smelters and requiring more hauling.

as 1 and 2 result in dealing with stone becoming exponentially more difficult, the rest of my ideas will focus on trying to fix this just a little bit.

3) Although stone would remain unstackable in the game sense it should be stackable in the more obvious sense that you should be able to build ramps next to a full stone stockpile and stack more stone directly on top of the rest on the next z-level extending it vertically rather than having to have giant sprawling fields of stone.

4) Tracks should be able to be laid between two stockpiles, one small and one large, with the large one having a designation like 'wagon only' so that haulers dont try and walk all the way there with one stone. The tracks could have small 1 tile wagons (think Indiana Jones) that can hold something like 10 rocks. at the mining end you would have 2 or 3 haulers hauling rock directly from the face to the small stockpile. Then you would have one hauler who would be on wagon duty, he would arrive at the small stockpile, load the wagon with stones, and then drive them all to the other end, and unload the stones in a larger, out of the way stockpile for storage. The tracks could be made from stone wood or metal but the wagons would move fastest over metal.

5) If slag and rock are dumped in the same place the could form new ground which would bury other items in the dump zone and if on flat ground create a hill, or if in a pit or depression, fill it. Being able to bury things could make for fun treasure hunt scenarios and also burying people alive, not to mention simply being able to reshape the landscape more freely. This would also hopefully help with the slowdown issues..

6) These suggestions should all be part of a STONE: ON, ORE: ON option in the init which when turned off would remove all stone drops altogether for slower computers. A list could be kept as to what has been found by mining and all jobs that require that type should be from then on assumed to have a plentiful supply. I understand that turning this off would remove a lot of the fun and realism from mining but it would also enable people with slower computers to play better. A lot of people don't even have the processor power to cope with the current stone setup let alone what I am proposing here.

That is all. I realise that implementing these is a massive task and was not seriously expecting this to be done. I just want to propose an alternative view on stone, as it seems that everyone wants a world where stone just evaporates at will, rather than deal with the real logistics of hollowing out an entire mountain. IT ISN'T MEANT TO BE EASY.</STRONG>

This is great!

I have currently reduced my stone supply to about 250 stones, mostly by tossing about 4K stones into the lava. the hauling should be neccessary, and the slag thing is something I thgouht of aswell. Would prolly make people build half buried, half built structures which I think would be quite dwarfish. More a city with interconnected outside and inside than a solely buried city which I think feels more UNDERDARK...

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

I quite like the slag idea. Currently mining out a mountain is a bit too easy. However, because there is nothing to do with slag it would probably end up clogging up the game with too many items. I'm not sure how to resolve that.

Another idea is that different types of stone should be easier to get usable stone  out of. eg. shale vs granite

Pages: [1] 2