Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Setting Squads to Active 2010  (Read 1297 times)

JusticeRings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting Squads to Active 2010
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:00:51 am »

I cant seem to get my squad to activate and take orders. And I am working at understanding alerts but have not quite figured out how to get a squad to go to a given burrow during an alert. I have gotten all the civs to hide in the dining room during the alerts without any trouble. Anyone help me out? already read through the wiki.

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting Squads to Active 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:16:54 am »

I THINK squads must be set differently via the s menu. The [CIV] tag (how I assume you're setting the alert) only works for civilians.

Then again, I have no idea what I'm doing either I'll warn you.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 01:30:16 am »

Station them with the S button. From that menu, you can set them to attack a given target(s), you can set them to move to a certain spot, and.... yea. I couldn't figure it out till I found it on the wiki, t'was a life-saver. literally :).
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

JusticeRings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 01:48:12 am »

Okay I have figured out how to station them at borrows, and how to get the civs to go hide with the same alert, What I cant figure out is how to return them to no orders at all, so they will spar/train solo. I dont like it how they wait for classes. They tend to get very thirsty waiting for my idiot of a commander to make his lesson plan.

daoist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 01:50:35 am »

In all likelihood you are doing things right. It's just that the military system is very buggy right now.

JusticeRings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 02:16:44 am »

Ah I have figured out that in the squads menu "S" you can cycle through alert orders with "t" that will put them at any order set you want at any time. Without the actual alert. Very nice. This system is confusing as hell but rewarding.

Now I just need to get rid of this damn no arsenal dwarf showing up bug, at 34 dwarves, and no arsenal dwarf position. My squad are being dicks about weapon choices and when I ban their preferred weapons they decide wrestling will win the day... wrestling is terrible now.

king of xanth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:47:54 am »

i had 8 dwarves  wrestle a two headed ettin titan to death, with the help of 4 war dogs. twice in one season. sure, 3 dwarves hospitalised, and one is somehow still walking with no lower spine, but, losses, eh?

JusticeRings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 04:36:05 am »

I had a axe-lord lose both his legs in Deon's genesis mod. He was not slowed down by this... It was hilarious watching him crawl up to groups of gobo's and cut em up. He does not seem to have reach issues though.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:31:16 am »

Ah I have figured out that in the squads menu "S" you can cycle through alert orders with "t" that will put them at any order set you want at any time. Without the actual alert. Very nice. This system is confusing as hell but rewarding.

Now I just need to get rid of this damn no arsenal dwarf showing up bug, at 34 dwarves, and no arsenal dwarf position. My squad are being dicks about weapon choices and when I ban their preferred weapons they decide wrestling will win the day... wrestling is terrible now.
to get the arsenal dwarf, make sure all noble positions are filled (especially sheriff), and it should appear at the next change of season...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 05:37:13 am »

Hang on, I never appoint a sheriff and I've gotten Arsenal dwarves before. It's true I assign all the other noble positions though.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

JusticeRings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 05:39:18 am »

saved and exited then came back and it was there.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 05:42:56 am »

Hang on, I never appoint a sheriff and I've gotten Arsenal dwarves before. It's true I assign all the other noble positions though.
good to know, I actuallyhate the guy... I only appointed one because I read somewhere that it was needed...

JusticeRings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 06:31:23 am »

Will Iron weapons hurt gobo's with Bronze armor? or is it 100% resistant to lower metal?

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 10:37:54 am »

In order to make an alert in which your fortress goes in lockdown, here's what you do:

First you create the (empty) alert. Do this by going into the alert screen (accessed by the military screen, do m - a) and create an alert, by pressing c. This will create an alert that does nothing. You can name the alert accordingly by naming it pressing N. For instance "Get in da bunka!".

Then you select the alert you just created, and hit right until you can select a burrow. Select which burrow you want your civilians to flee to and hit enter, and a little marker will appear outside of it. Now, whenever you switch your civilians to this alert, they will all remain inside of the burrow you have selected.

In order to get your military to guard the burrow, find your squad(s) and go into their schedule. In their schedule you need to toggle between the different alerts until you get to your "Get in da bunka!" alert. So far, they have no orders under this alert, and it should say so under each month. Select whichever month and hit "o" to issue an order. Now toggle between the various orders (Patrol - Station - Train - Burrow) until you get to the burrow, now select the burrow you want them to protect. Repeat this on every month, or simply copy/paste the order, until every month says "burrow".

Now you have an alert where, if toggled for your military and civilians simultaneously, will have your civilians go or remain in the burrow designated, and your military will protect the burrow designated.

Alternatively you can experiment with the station and patrol orders too. These require points or patroll routes between points instead of burrows.

And if you want to skip all of that, simply issuing a "move" or "kill" command will supercede anything your military does apart from severe hunger/thirst/drowsiness/wounds and picking up/dropping equipment.

And the arsenal dwarf doesn't require a sheriff, he is sometimes a bit late though. Just hang in there until you get him. Until then, I recommend you appoint a manager and grind up his organizing skill, then appoint that dwarf as your arsenal dwarf whenever the slot opens up. I always have my arsenal dwarf and manager as the same dwarf, since the skill is the same, and it makes training it much much faster. Once you get him to "great" or so organizer, you'll never notice any lag between any equipment orders you issue and your dwarves responding to these. Unless your arsenal dwarf is busy eating or drinking by then, of course. :D

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 11:21:47 am »

And the arsenal dwarf doesn't require a sheriff, he is sometimes a bit late though. Just hang in there until you get him. Until then, I recommend you appoint a manager and grind up his organizing skill, then appoint that dwarf as your arsenal dwarf whenever the slot opens up. I always have my arsenal dwarf and manager as the same dwarf, since the skill is the same, and it makes training it much much faster. Once you get him to "great" or so organizer, you'll never notice any lag between any equipment orders you issue and your dwarves responding to these. Unless your arsenal dwarf is busy eating or drinking by then, of course. :D
I went further by modding in a custom workshop with a custom reaction to train up Organizing when that manager/arsenal dwarf isn't doing anything. All his labours are optionally disabled so when I need something signed off, I just tell him to stop training and get to it (assuming he doesn't have to eat/sleep/drink).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2