Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Strange moods should not result in so many craftsdwarves  (Read 3319 times)

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange moods should not result in so many craftsdwarves
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

Okay, How 'bout instead of "Urist Farmer" takes over farm plot and has discovered seed! or "Urist Miner" has dug a vein of Adamantine from sand! We get the chance for "applied" mood.

Urist Miner has taken over a forge, Urist Miner has made a Rose Gold Pickaxe! Since he's a miner and made a tool to better his job he should get legendary Mining not Metal working, no to say that a miner will always make pickaxes, but if he DOES then give him the bonus to mining.
  Similarly If a fisher or dissector happens to make an artifact that primarily features fish bones (this is a fish bone cage) he should get the bonus to his "native"(?) job.
  Keep in mind that I'm not saying that they should ALWAYS do stuff like this but on the odd happenstance that they do make something in a plausible way related to their occupation they should get the kudos there.
 To attempt to reinforce this idea, if a man is known as a miner his whole life makes a world renown pickaxe he will probably be noted as a mining genius not a Metalsmith, However (playing a little insert the story):

"Urist Miner always wanted to make the most beatiful mug the world has ever seen, unfortunantly he never recieved the proper education. One day later in his life he decided to stand against the waves of adversity that say "No! Miners mine, not craft!" and made his dream a reality. He made a decadent Obsidian mug that menaces with spikes of pig-tail and features rings of fish bone."
   And should be honored as a legendary crafts dwarf.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2008, 01:33:00 am »

Items that yield a skill bonus are another thing entirely. I can't say I'd be definitely against them. However, there are some serious balance issues involved.
Not to mention that only two jobs currently utilize a tool.

It does seem we've hit an impasse concerning the discussion here, with no real god solution in sight.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to link up this thread, and a few others into a unified Artifact / Artefact thread. Maybe when I have an hour or so to kill I'll do just that.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2008, 06:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfius:
<STRONG>Dwarves auto-mining is a very, very bad idea.</STRONG>

Frequent auto-mining would be a horrible nuisance. Fey mining would be very rare, and would be totally in line with the DF philosophy: random, out of player control, and capable of both giving unpredictable bonuses and/or non-fatally messing up the player's plans because of dwarf idiosyncrasy.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2008, 07:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>

Frequent auto-mining would be a horrible nuisance. Fey mining would be very rare, and would be totally in line with the DF philosophy: random, out of player control, and capable of both giving unpredictable bonuses and/or non-fatally messing up the player's plans because of dwarf idiosyncrasy.</STRONG>

I just doubt that it can be implemented well, without alot of work.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

How so? Hidden and unremovable digging designation in pre-determined patterns randomly mixed together.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2008, 10:00:00 am »

Aye, arguing along with Align, above, from a programming perspective, given what is already implemented, it would be relatively trivial.
You are a pirate!

If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2008, 10:41:00 am »

On the one hand, I kind of smile at the idea of the miner going into a whirlwind of activity and digging out some wondrous structure that just happens to be partly inside your count's bedroom, or a vein of magma.

On the other, what will you have to show for it?  An empty, plain, dug-out space and a suddenly-legendary miner.  And nothing you could call an artefact.  Therefore, until (if it happens) there is some way to make that space special, auto-mining is probably going to have to go on the long-term maybe pile.

Not to mention mining really isn't the profession that needs this.  They can already enter a mood, go to a workshop, produce an artifact stonecraft... and become legendary in mining!  So again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  That said, I see no reason why they couldn't produce an artifact pick sometimes, instead of the stonecraft.  That would be cool and probably much easier to do.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2008, 11:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>On the one hand, I kind of smile at the idea of the miner going into a whirlwind of activity and digging out some wondrous structure that just happens to be partly inside your count's bedroom, or a vein of magma.

On the other, what will you have to show for it?  An empty, plain, dug-out space and a suddenly-legendary miner.  And nothing you could call an artefact.  </STRONG>

Did you read the suggestions above? Because your reply suggests otherwise. The idea was that the space created would have some property, f.i. be soothing (calming upset dwarves), a summoning chamber, sacral, necropolis, etc. And this might in any reasonable use of the term be considered an artefact.

You are a pirate!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »

None of which are implemented in any way yet, hence the bit after your snip:  Until they are, probably magic arc-ish, this idea will surely have to wait.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

And artifacts are likely going to be near useless until the magic arc as well

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>None of which are implemented in any way yet, hence the bit after your snip:  Until they are, probably magic arc-ish, this idea will surely have to wait.</STRONG>

Yeah, you know, that's a really good point. Everyone, let's stop suggesting things until AFTER those things have been implemented!
 :roll:

You are a pirate!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

It isn't that people should wait before making suggestions like this

It is that a LOT of what is being suggested in this topic is based on the current state of affairs while nearly ignoring what may happen down the road.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

Well, I rather hope that good suggestions not conflicting with the developer's goals might affect and influence what happens down the road.
You are a pirate!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2008, 04:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mikademus:
<STRONG>Well, I rather hope that good suggestions not conflicting with the developer's goals might affect and influence what happens down the road.</STRONG>

Spot on. That is really the purpose of a suggestion forum after all.
Toady casually reads through the posts that grab his attention.
A well described idea might sway him to think about something a little differently.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]