Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Strange moods should not result in so many craftsdwarves  (Read 3317 times)

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
Strange moods should not result in so many craftsdwarves
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

Many of the current dwarven professions (farmers, fishers, hunters, etc. as well as military dwarves and peasants) will take over a craftsdwarf's workshop when going into a strange mood. I think that instead of defaulting to craftsdwarf, these dwarves should randomly pick a profession and get that skill instead. (Of course, this has the side effect of having to build workshops randomly if you don't have the necessary one.)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange moods should not result in so many craftsdwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

Sorry?
Do you want more different buildings to be used for strange moods, more professions to be strange mood-able, or something else?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »

I think he's suggesting that if a dwarf whose profession does not allow for strange moods gets a mood, they would choose a random artifact type (and resulting random workshop) instead of always going for crafts.

While I do think that craftsdwarves are entirely too common given the paucity of useful things you can make with them (pretty much limited to bone bolts, wood bolts, trade goods, and shell armor), I'd have some concerns about the mad race to make every single workshop you haven't made yet, since it's whittling away at the time you have to get the dwarf the materials he needs to make the actual artifact.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>
...I'd have some concerns about the mad race to make every single workshop you haven't made yet, since it's whittling away at the time you have to get the dwarf the materials he needs to make the actual artifact.</STRONG>

This could be offset by allowing the mood dwarf to convert workshops to the needed type more often.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 08:02:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>I think he's suggesting that if a dwarf whose profession does not allow for strange moods gets a mood, they would choose a random artifact type (and resulting random workshop) instead of always going for crafts.</STRONG>
Yes, this is it. As for workshops, I suppose these dwarves could be given some cryptic comments to mutter if you haven't built the workshop they want yet.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

I dunno, as it stands, if you're prepared for them, moods tend to be easily passed. Adding the mad work-shop dash doesn't sound that bad to me, especially since there aren't *that* many, and it's not like you need to keep the workshop when he's done.
The only time I lose dwarves to moods anymore is if I fail to nab an anvil off the first caravan and get a metal mood.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GRead:
<STRONG>I dunno, as it stands, if you're prepared for them, moods tend to be easily passed.</STRONG>

That's irrelevant to the suggestion.  He wants fewer "craft related" moods and more useful ones.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

That's irrelevant to the suggestion.  He wants fewer "craft related" moods and more useful ones.</STRONG>

quote:
<STRONG>While I do think that craftsdwarves are entirely too common given the paucity of useful things you can make with them (pretty much limited to bone bolts, wood bolts, trade goods, and shell armor), I'd have some concerns about the mad race to make every single workshop you haven't made yet, since it's whittling away at the time you have to get the dwarf the materials he needs to make the actual artifact.</STRONG>

It may not be relevant to the OP, but it is relevant to the discussion that has followed. For the record I support the OP and am disagreeing with the reservations about having to build extra workshops.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 12:19:00 am »

Maybe the unskilled mooded dwarves would only choose only skills that you already have the workshops for?  Still though, you get enough immigrants with bizarre and useless skills that go into fey moods anyway.  They at least would have you building the workshops.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

SwiftSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

Just ignore it when off profession dwarfs strange mood to your crafts shop.  They might be technically "stone crafters" but that doesn't mean they aren't still proficient hunters.  After you get one, keep him busy, and just let the other ones continue on in their old jobs.
laceholder Signature

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 07:56:00 am »

You don't need to keep them busy. They get labeled a stonecrafter or whatever, but  it doesn't enable to job in their profile. I do agree that it would be nice if there was a bit more variety in the type of mood that you get though.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SwiftSpear:
<STRONG>Just ignore it when off profession dwarfs strange mood to your crafts shop.</STRONG>

Force strong be this one with.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

Good idea this is. New "Artifacts" we will need. To the farm can a planter go, and  a giant 25 stack of plump helmets harvest he can. A rare creature can the ranger hunt, tame or trap. Master a weapon skill a warrior can, his weapon an artifact becomes.

Mmmm yes, not only crafts do one legendary make.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Othob Rithol:
<STRONG>Good idea this is. New "Artifacts" we will need. To the farm can a planter go, and  a giant 25 stack of plump helmets harvest he can. A rare creature can the ranger hunt, tame or trap. Master a weapon skill a warrior can, his weapon an artifact becomes.

Mmmm yes, not only crafts do one legendary make.</STRONG>

Not sure an artifact to be consumed would be a good idea - maybe breed an artifact strain? Mythic Plump Helmet doesn't rot, can be brewed to produce one seed per stack(which likewise doesn't rot - maybe have it always produce that seed even if cooked, so you don't lose it) so at any given time you only ever have the 'one' instance of it per artifact creation, and gives large stacks and/or very happy thoughts.

Ranger/etc would be harder - probably have them claim a workshop, then sneak offmap(to avoid tripping fifty ambushes, maybe even make the mood dwarf immune to detection by enemies - heck, why not vanish and reappear right into the shop), 'work' off-map, then return later. Once they arrive they reveal their prize, be it a tamed or butchered rare critter - maybe even include skin and fat processing for free.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfius:
<STRONG>

Ranger/etc would be harder - probably have them claim a workshop, then sneak offmap(to avoid tripping fifty ambushes, maybe even make the mood dwarf immune to detection by enemies - heck, why not vanish and reappear right into the shop), 'work' off-map, then return later. Once they arrive they reveal their prize, be it a tamed or butchered rare critter - maybe even include skin and fat processing for free.</STRONG>

I think rather a legendary skill level should bring special boni: legendary crafting (or smithing etc) intermittently creates artefacts; legendary ambushers are dwarf ninjas, etc.

An ranger (ambusher) fey mood could have mig claim an arena, archery range, tannery, craftshop or whatever, and create a legendary bow, tattoo himself with mystical runes, or develop a strange archery skill, and gain legendary ambushing. Add variants for different professions.

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5