Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sweet mace  (Read 1851 times)

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sweet mace
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:45:25 am »

Heh, one of my dorfs just finished a pretty awesome mace.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It has an image of itself, in adamantine. Awesome!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet mace
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:50 am »

Ever wonder how they engrave it when it's not finished? Or do they just wait till it's done then bust out the chisel.

It would be awesome if the dwarf actually engraved the engraving of the artifact into the engraving on the artifact.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:53:06 am »

Adamantine mace... I feel so, so sorry for you, that weapon might break the bone of a salt monster, nothing alse, your dwarf has created a terribly useless weapon of uselessness.

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:54:43 am »

Aye. Cool engravings, but adamant is waaay to light or dense to make a decent mace or hammer.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:11 am »

Hi!

Ever wonder how they engrave it when it's not finished? Or do they just wait till it's done then bust out the chisel.

Actually, that is no big problem. Just think about it for a second: Strange moods mean that the dwarf is inspired to create that artifact. So, it is not unreasonable that the complete blue prints for it are already branded into her dwarven brain. Thus, it is no big problem to engrave a depiction of it onto it. And since the blue prints are branded in there, there is not enough room for another set of blue prints => one artifact per dwarf.

Deathworks

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:03:46 pm »

Aye. Cool engravings, but adamant is waaay to light or dense to make a decent mace or hammer.
I'm playing in 40d, actually. I think adamantine works well enough for maces/hammers here?

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 12:05:57 pm »

Also, I've never had an artifact with this much adamantite on it before. I think he took six or seven bars for it.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 12:07:51 pm »

Hi!

You do realize that the fame of this mace will attract all goblins in the known world to come and try to claim it for their own. I hope you are prepared.

And I forgot to say, congratulations for an artifact made out of a precious material.

Deathworks

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 12:13:32 pm »

Hi!

You do realize that the fame of this mace will attract all goblins in the known world to come and try to claim it for their own. I hope you are prepared.

And I forgot to say, congratulations for an artifact made out of a precious material.

Deathworks
Haha, yeah, probably :P. I've only had one siege so far though, and I'm up at 13 mil wealth. Besides, the one siege I've had one of my champions destroyed single handedly. He also killed a dragon alone. I don't think I have much to fear as long as Bembul is in my military.

Now I'm going to make some adamantine weapons to put in my weapon traps.. :P

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 12:19:47 pm »

Hi!

Haha, yeah, probably :P. I've only had one siege so far though, and I'm up at 13 mil wealth. Besides, the one siege I've had one of my champions destroyed single handedly. He also killed a dragon alone. I don't think I have much to fear as long as Bembul is in my military.

Now I'm going to make some adamantine weapons to put in my weapon traps.. :P

The weapon traps are a very good idea, I think.

As for your champion, I can only quote that famous Star Wars character: "It's a trap!". Your champion showed that he can slay a dragon and defeat a siege - if he is not sleeping, drinking, or eating, one of which he will definitely be doing at the time of your greatest need. After all, this is Dwarf Fortress :) :) :)

Come to think of it, are you trying to get the artifact equipped or do you integrate it into the traps - or do you seal it away in a special chamber to be gawked at by the dwarves through heavy duty windows?

Deathworks

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:24:20 pm »

Well, I always make sure any combat artifacts (weapons and armor) are used. They dont do much good locked away somewhere.

As for weapon traps, I've got a straight forward path going to my trade depot (only way inside the fort) protected by 2 drawbridges. I retract the first one when an enemy comes, forcing the goblins through a maze filled with traps, and open for fire from my marksdwarves. If they survive halfway through, they activate a pressure plate that retracts the second bridge, effectively shutting my fortress down, and forcing them to go back through all the weapons traps again.

My champions are remarkably reliable. Or, well, Bembul is. All the others just never show up. But just to be on the safe side, at the pull of a lever my fortress is flooded, and all the entrances are sealed.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 12:31:04 pm »

I just had a great idea.
Weapon trap filled with artifacts. Make your entrance one tile wide.
...Oh Armok, that would be so useful and so time consuming that both of those could cancel out the dwarfiness.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 12:35:09 pm »

I just had a great idea.
...Oh Armok, that would be so useful and so time consuming that both of those could cancel out the dwarfiness.

Considering a row of Dwarven Slap Chops (10 masterwork obsidian blades in a weapon trap) can repel an entire invasion force (or at least could in 40d)...
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 12:35:31 pm »

I just had a great idea.
Hmmmmm...

I actually have 3 artifact weapons. I guess I could dump those into a weapons trap at the beginning of the maze (its 1 tile wide)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 01:02:24 pm »

I just had a great idea.
Hmmmmm...

I actually have 3 artifact weapons. I guess I could dump those into a weapons trap at the beginning of the maze (its 1 tile wide)

No, put it at the end. That way, the toughest guy (the one who got through all the other traps) gets killed. If you have them at the front, it'll probably trigger on a Fluffy Wambler while a bunch of trolls bash down your door.
Pages: [1] 2