Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Memory Hacking Help Please? Embark Anywhere, on a mac, using a memory editor.  (Read 2630 times)

PlumpHelmetDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, so here goes. Running the latest version of DF on a mac, and I have rather limited knowledge of how the whole memory hacking business goes on. Using The Cheat (Memory editor for mac) I can do all the basic cheaty stuff like making my starting 7 or an adventurer overpowered, change the size of a stack, get to a 1x1 embark, etc.

What I'm trying to do, and which eludes me, is I am trying to do what Embark Anywhere does. I want to be able to embark on a mountain square or a frozen ocean square or the like. However, all my searches so far have proven fruitless, and so I figured I'd turn to you guys for help.

Does anybody know things like;
  • I assume it's an integer value, but is it an 8bit integer? 16? 32? Signed or Unsigned?
  • Expected values for embark availability. What value should I be searching for on embarkable terrain. What about for unembarkable terrain?
  • How many variables control this? I would assume just one, but things aren't always as simple as they appear to be.
  • Anything else I might need to know?

If anybody can help me with this, it'd be really appreciated :)
Thanks in advance.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stop using macs.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does Embark anywhere work on a mac?
If not, then the source code is there too, so you can at least look at what values he's changing.

I'm not sure how much that will help with the 2010 version, but it's better than nothing.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile

It works by substituting a jump AFAIK. No data memory  hacking can do that. Good news is that it works very different versions, so it could be only a problem of porting the exe (how to attach to process access it's memory etc..) but not the engine itself.

PlumpHelmetDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stop using macs.
Thank you, but that's not quite the help I was looking for.
Does Embark anywhere work on a mac?
If not, then the source code is there too, so you can at least look at what values he's changing.

I'm not sure how much that will help with the 2010 version, but it's better than nothing.
It works by substituting a jump AFAIK. No data memory  hacking can do that. Good news is that it works very different versions, so it could be only a problem of porting the exe (how to attach to process access it's memory etc..) but not the engine itself.
Embark Anywhere cannot detect that  I am running DF at all, because I can only run it through Wine, while the mac build is not emulated. It will however work on the windows version if run through wine, but I would like to be able to get it working natively if at all possible.
I also downloaded the source code, which I find exceptionally hard to read, most likely because I really have little or no skill in programming. Or common sense. I can't tell what values it is checking against, but I can tell that it is searching for the variables through finding hex locations, in the same way as a memory editor, I guess because the locations change each time. Unfortunately I can't really tell what ranges it is searching in either.

I was afraid that it could be something beyond my current scope. Still, if anybody can shed further light on the topic, it would be very helpful.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile

Have you considered running DF in wine with embark anywhere, than copying the save to the mac version?
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

PlumpHelmetDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you considered running DF in wine with embark anywhere, than copying the save to the mac version?

Yeah, I have considered that, and chances are that it's what I'll end up doing. It was more for my own curiosity that I wanted to try and get it running on the mac version. I wonder, does Nano Fortress still work on the latest version? If not, I may have to see if a memory editor running in wine can effect other wine processes; the mac one can't touch wine apps, as far as I can tell.

Thanks all for the assistance.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some live memory editors can do code-injection - if you can find out where and what code is injected in the source of Embark Anywhere, chances are you can inject that code yourself. If your edtior does not support this feature... then I guess I'm out of ideas.