Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Top3 suggestions ROUND 2  (Read 3801 times)

Lokysan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Top3 suggestions ROUND 2
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2008, 06:09:00 am »

Here are my preferences for this second round:

- transport vehicles + better hauling

- combine stacks / better stack handling.

- complete overhaul of job system. I don't really think it needs a complete overhaul, but it could surely be improved with some of the things mentioned there, specially taking distance / position into account when selecting a job (would also solve the entrance dance problem and some other issues), and not canceling jobs so easily (like canceling all my forge jobs just because there is no steel at this precise moment... please just delay/suspend the job, i may have 10 smelters producing steel but all the furnace operators decided to go to sleep at the same time, and i don't like -"I really hate"- having to add again all the jobs to every workshop everytime something like this happens).

Buff, it's difficult choosing just 3 things... too bad the source code is closed, I'm a CS guy with some experience in game development and I would love to help improving this game... and I am sure I'm not the only one.

kamikazemoose

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

I love these threads. Lot's of cool ideas gathered and explained in few words.

Anyway, here's my votes:

combine stacks / better stack handling - because it might help clean up my mess of a fortress.

filter to hide dead things in unit list (and other filters) - because it would be great if I could use it more than right after arriving (whole bunch of dwarves and even more dead means it's a pain looking up what kind of wild animals are currently there.

forbidden area designation - I just like this idea a lot. It could be of greathelp in lots of situations.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 10:53:00 am »

1.  Water overflow (if 7+, push water into tile above.. reduce average water depth or raise to two bit [16] levels)
2.  I always have an issue with the interface.  It's not intuitive, so I'm always looking for ways to write my own [without coding the entire game] which brings me to my suggestion.  Make DF a server, TCP/IP preferred.  Post API specs and let other people write an interface.  Let us build the interface... maybe even multi-player ourselves.
3.  Multi threaded support.  It kills me that my Core2 processor sits unused by a game that could be very scalable.  (job threads, fluid updates, dwarf AI)

Am I allowed to add #4?

Toilets, sewers...

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Andir ]

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Andir ]

"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 11:10:00 am »

A lot of the votes here are for "better hauling and carts" I just wanted to point out this thread on Chutes and Slides That I thought would be very fitting for dwarves. Just look at the possibilities! Mines being dug, with tunnels leading straight up for several levels, where the chutes start. Ore and gems dropped in there slide perhaps a hundred tiles away and down several more into the stockpiles, where workers can collect them and smelt them, with magma piped in from a distant volcano via safe pipe segments. Finished goods then slide down more chutes to the trade depot, only tiles away from pick-up!
The best part about the idea is that unlike other hauling fixes, this one does not require an overhaul of Dwarven logic, and is guaranteed in-character for the dwarves.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

Kogan, if I understand you right, you support my current plan of handling these votes, right? If you instead propose a vote where everyone can post 10 suggestions, you will have to do it yourself, because it already takes me enough time to collect three suggestions per person. Another thing would be 10 votes per person, and allow multiple votes for the same suggestion. I guess this would not blow up the list much. Maybe later...

Andir, I have not counted your first vote, because I think it's already happening. I have instead counted your fourth vote for sewage.

I like the chutes/slides idea. In combination with mechanical lifts, this could serve as a complete transportation system (for goods). I also like the minecarts, though. Chutes/slides could be used for "transportation highways", while minecarts could bridge the distance from the current working area to the permanently installed chute/slide-highway.

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: zagibu ]

99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

1.) Don't scatter items on abandon or have a way to have items not scatter.
2.) Display cases.
3.) Build engravings or engrave constructed walls.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

*combine stacks / better stack handling
*filter to hide dead things in unit list (and other filters)
*forbidden area designation
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

1. As has been often said-- A way to 'mass build' walls / floors. Something like what is done for bridges or roads would be great.

2. Stop the 'Dwarves Stay Indoor Boogie'. This should really be done at the initial path finding stage, not once the dwarves get to the first outdoor square. Handle the results like any other incompletable job.

3. Sewage-- With pressure-- and potential for disease both for not washing after exposure, and for living around effluent. (Could be extended to puke, rotten stuff, and miasma in general.)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

Forbidden area designation please.
I shouldn't have to wall or channel off areas I don't want my dwarves going to.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

You can make three suggestions.

And mass building of walls is out of this round.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2008, 07:49:00 am »

Ooops... One small failure of reading comprehension  :)

I'll keep:

"2. Stop the 'Dwarves Stay Indoor Boogie'. This should really be done at the initial path finding stage, not once the dwarves get to the first outdoor square. Handle the results like any other incompletable job.

3. Sewage-- With pressure-- and potential for disease both for not washing after exposure, and for living around effluent. (Could be extended to puke, rotten stuff, and miasma in general.)"

I'll add:

1. Better stacking / unstacking.

(And in general optimizing of fortress mode-- Maybe better A* path finding algorithms, modestly less precision in data structures, a coarser update resolution for heat / stress, checker boarding calculations for fluids, etc...)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2008, 10:22:00 am »

My problem is that I want to vote for about 75% of the things on this list...

...but, since I get only three votes, they'll go to "bump" a trio of Neat Stuff already having votes up the list:
- underground diversity:
- improved siege AI (tunnels, siege ladders, etc.):
- resizeable viewport: (This is effectively the same as request "more tiles in the vertical screen direction:" and a sub-set of request "fully customizable/scriptable interface:" (which I didn't vote for only because it's the one request ToadyOne is unlikely to be in a position to accommodate in the next couple of years))

Comments on this list:  The scope of different suggestions varies widely, from the extremely specific "wrestling improvement "throws" (like hammer "push"):" to the extremely broad "fully customizable/scriptable interface:".  Some suggestions overlap entirely or partially.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2008, 10:59:00 am »

My request for an interface is to basically remove the interface and give us a data feed (API) of things going on in the engine and let us make the interface.  I agree, it's kind of vague and lumped together.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »

I'm aware that some suggestions overlap, and I always try to merge some, if I see the functionality mostly covered by an already existing suggestion, but it's actually not my fault if people don't read the list.
Sorry for the delay, btw, keep the votes coming!
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

Other then the top three from last time, my votes are for:

Soldiers can pull switches
Dwarves stay inside includes constructed buildings not just underground
Designated safe areas for civilians during sieges/ambushes or designates STAY AWAY areas during sieges/ambushes to keep the civilians from mobbing my kill zones.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7