Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Goblins stupidly overpowered.  (Read 5891 times)

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins stupidly overpowered.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 07:45:02 am »

goblins are quite wimpy actually.  8)
My lonely axedwarf just killed three whole groups of ambushing goblins armed mostly with bows and humans pikemens. He didn't even have a scratch on him.
later he again killed three groups of goblins no problem. (not even counting the elephants that got between him and the gobs...)
Standard quality steel armor and steel battleaxe.
legendary Axedwarf, talented shield user, adequate armor user, legendary fighter, novice wrestler, talented dodger.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 10:00:25 am »

His skill as a hammerdwarf has been proven. His is no longer "dabbling". He is adequate.
Awesome
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 10:37:39 am »

I've yet to see a goblin survive a single weapon trap filled with 10x Giant Steel Axe Blades.  At least not while it was working.  Had a few get through when it got clogged by the gore.  Steel clad dwarves still make quick work of goblins.  Arrows can still ruin your day.  Not because they insta-kill your dwarf, but because they can him to bleed to death after the fighting is over.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 11:33:42 am »

eh, i prefer serrated blades.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 12:20:10 pm »

I quite love the idea of goblins having to pass through either:
A) standard drowning chamber, but with all walls engraved (a lot of goblin smiting scenes, unsurprisingly), and the floor paved with dog soap
B) huge winding corridor full of weapon traps: I only put giant green glass axe blades because they're so cool, or weapons dropped by siegers
C) the drownable/cave-in-able trade depot (if there are elven or human traders inside)

All these end in a smorgasbord of cage traps, and then right by my barracks

Aside from small problems due to me not isolating all floodgates/hatches (cave crawler-mounted goblins gently pointed out that flaw for me), at the third siege (50 invaders more or less) I finally got it working!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »

Yeah, i read about fun mounts seigers can have.  All my plumbing (magma included) has fortifications to prevent guests from entering through them.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 02:05:42 pm »

My dwarves were assigned to wear full steel armor, steel shields, and weapons. The goblins horribly slaughtered all of them.

Also, cage traps are, possibly, the stupidest things in DF, and I don't use them on principle. Particularly since they only delay the problem, and I can't harvest the iron afterwards. Furthermore, they do not help against attackers, as they require the enemy to walk over them. You can't send a cage trap to go chase away an enemy.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 02:38:17 pm »

My dwarves were assigned to wear full steel armor, steel shields, and weapons. The goblins horribly slaughtered all of them.

Also, cage traps are, possibly, the stupidest things in DF, and I don't use them on principle. Particularly since they only delay the problem, and I can't harvest the iron afterwards. Furthermore, they do not help against attackers, as they require the enemy to walk over them. You can't send a cage trap to go chase away an enemy.
Hmm I don't know about your dwarves, mine did fine (ok I get at least a lost limb per siege, but that's no big deal after all, I have very good medical staff) both in steel armor, and now of course in full funmetal garb!
but I "cheat" a lot: my dwarves only fight in small rooms where attackers only come from a 1-tile-wide tunnel full of traps so it's never too much of a challenge...
Keep always in mind that, with buggy training and equipment management, there is no reliable way of obtaining *intact* legendary armor/shield users, and this limits any military's effectiveness, so you need to help them out!

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »

My point is, goblins, a famously pathetic species, clad in clothing and wielding iron weapons should fall easily to a famously tough species clad in steel.

If only marksdwarves worked. They would have solved the problem in no time at all.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 03:34:49 pm »

Goblins are pushovers. Even my talented axe-dwarf with iron equipment wiped out a group of 10 goblins and 3 trolls. By herself. Without a scratch.
Now giant toads... those things are murderous.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 03:35:56 pm »

Well, I'm officially impressed. My military (one squad, ten dwarfs) got annihilated by three goblins. One of the goblins was a bowman.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 04:48:02 pm »

Yeah, well  my Lasher yanks the limbs off goblins, rather than cutting them.  What he lacks in strength he makes up for in style.  And that's even through iron armor!  And he had to get that whip from a goblin to begin with!
igless

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 05:41:22 pm »

Well, I'm officially impressed. My military (one squad, ten dwarfs) got annihilated by three goblins. One of the goblins was a bowman.
Now I'm curious.  Ten dwarves in steel armor should take a while to fall to three goblins using iron, even if they're not dishing out any damage themselves.  What were your militia skill levels like?  Did they take any shots to unprotected areas, or were the goblin weapons getting through their armor?  Did your militia manage to engage as a unit, or did they get cut down piecemeal? 

(And yeah, I had Fun the first time a goblin ambush got through my militia and into one of my early fortresses - walls were painted with dwarven blood.  But every fortress since then has slaughtered the goblins pretty easily, using well-trained militia in metal armor.  Which is why I'm curious what happened to you)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 06:07:54 pm »

In this version full of equipping bugs, the logical next question is: were they actually wearing them?
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 07:23:11 pm »

In this version full of equipping bugs, the logical next question is: were they actually wearing them?
Indeed.  Fully steel-clad dwarves are *almost* immune to being instakilled by goblin weapons, big severs, brain-crushes etc won't happen.  You can still get some nasty bruises or even broken smaller bones, but try it out in the arena - bronze/iron weapons vs full steel plate + mail shirt (upper arms, people!) = very, very, very long combat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4