Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mega Construction: Hourglass with Obsidian Caps (Preparations)  (Read 773 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile

Thanks go to those who helped me out in the Yet Another Starting Discussion. I'm feeling much more confident in my DF dream.

Current status: ~30 dwarves, found the first and last cavern (I think I dug past the second without hitting it), redacted, shiny, and the magma sea. Small start on the site: Currently, I have a hexagon 36 tiles from top to bottom(north-south, just one Z-level for now) with an in-road, not yet exposed to the surface. I intend to move my dwarves from their original location to a well-planned one underneath the hourglass.

Stage 1: Basic necessities: I'm going to try to plan out just about everything my dwarves need, at least on a workshop and stockpile level, including some pipes for serving the magma furnaces and such. Since I'm going obsessive about hexagons, I'll probably have most of the rooms in that shape. I think I can just spend a day making plans for that, making sure every workshop has an appropriate stockpile nearby. Magma will be sent up by a pump stack.

Stage 2: Obsidian casting: I construct a wall around my hexagon, and build it up 2 or 3 z-levels, making extra sure there aren't any cross-corner leaks (and that the staircase I already put in is covered with a constructed floor) and pump the magma in.

Stage 3: I build part of my other mega construction, a raised aqueduct filled by pumping water from a brook and pour it into the magma, forming giant hexagon of obsidian. This will be the bottom cap of the hourglass.

Stage 4: I start constructing the hourglass out of clear glass. A temporary workshop for making glass blocks will be there for ease of access, as well as a large stockpile made specifically for clear glass. These will be removed once the glass portion is finished.

Stage 5: I create the top obsidian cap with the same casting method. Carve out expensive rooms inside for nobles, with a stockpile for high quality food and drink so that they can be happy. Right up until I arrange some form of Unfortunate Accident if they complain.

Notes:

I'm specifically thinking of the casting method, since IIRC, constructed walls aren't as valuable for rooms, and the casting method treats the obsidian as natural.

Since I only found two caverns before hitting the magma sea, and 3 is supposed to be the default, I may need to do some exploring, since I'd rather not have an unknown crop up by finding my new location an unplanned access. I may seal off a low value dwarf with food and drink in the old location and designate him a miner until he discovers the skipped second cavern... After that, I might try having fun with him as a hermit, slowly sculpting the caverns into geometric shapes and learning to live among the Crundles.

So, any suggestions, particularly for the more deeply planned workshop levels?

UPDATE: Actually, I think I've got a good enough grasp (and a powerful enough laptop) I might just start over on a 6x6 map after I figure out a good floor plan for workshop levels.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:16:34 pm by Bronze Dog »
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Construction: Hourglass with Obsidian Caps (Preparations)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:21:09 pm »

Very nice.  How about uploading your fort every year or couple of seasons to the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive so that we can actually see the details of your fort and progress on your hourglass.  I assume the middle layer of the hourglass will be a single tile just because.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Construction: Hourglass with Obsidian Caps (Preparations)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »

Probably a single staircase surrounded with 8 sections of glass wall, actually.

Currently scribbling together some honeycombs for my future workshops. Going to have hexagonal rooms with seven workshops each. At least the ones that aren't raw material or finished goods stockpiles, that is.

Also thinking of a sort of "Personal supply hub" which will be near the top of a central staircase: Six surrounding rooms for clothing, armor, weapons, ammo, etcetera. Probably going to see about restricting them so that stuff like goblin equipment won't occupy the valuable space.

Heh: Here's a thought about what to do with the bottom cap of the hourglass: The ultimate dining room. Put the best stuff I can in it and let a legendary engraver go wild there.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.