Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hilarious challenge- The Legendary Maid/Butler  (Read 3224 times)

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
Re: Hilarious challenge- The Legendary Maid/Butler
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 05:07:18 pm »

What can I do? This fortress decided to be insane from the very beggining.
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 05:08:38 pm »

nice.  Doesn't bruising the brain cause instant death? Or is that just skull damage?

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 05:21:36 pm »

Nah, it was just muscle damage. After that, she just strangled the werewolf to death and proceeded to hack a few trolls' heads off. She's currently trying to wrestle a cyclops, and winning.

...I'm loving this challenge.  :D
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 05:25:07 pm »

... :O That's one badass maid.

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 05:30:27 pm »

Frankly, everyone here is. The expedition leader is chasing a troll across the map, despite having two broken legs and a torn lung. The troll is also vomiting non-stop and leaving a green vomit trail as he runs, because a dwarf punched his guts open. Everyone else is just mob-fighting another cyclops.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 05:52:32 pm »

Heh.

Okay, after much deliberation, I've decided to just to heck with the score system for solo dwarf.  The winner is simply who's gonna be the most badass butler with their own challenge and wild imagination.  The only rules will be no labors but hauling except for the maid/butler.  I'm personally going to see just how high a population I can go before everyone cracks or starves to death.  The FPS will scream at me, but anofort should make it doable.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 06:15:02 pm »

Probably for the best, in my humble opinion. The applause-O-meter is generally pretty accurate. That or starting up a poll thread.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 04:27:50 am »

Heh.

Okay, after much deliberation, I've decided to just to heck with the score system for solo dwarf.  The winner is simply who's gonna be the most badass butler with their own challenge and wild imagination.  The only rules will be no labors but hauling except for the maid/butler.  I'm personally going to see just how high a population I can go before everyone cracks or starves to death.  The FPS will scream at me, but anofort should make it doable.

Aww.  I'm definately not going to have the coolest fort.  My butler wont even be particularly bad ass.  My challenge isn't my own challenge, it's your challenge from when I saw it and decided I'd like to try and do it.  So now I'm getting like 0 points when scoring comes  ;)

So, I will remember your scoring system, and just point out how many points my fort would have in it, and how many the others' forts would have, if they'd been scored with it.  Cause that challenge sounds interesting to me and I want to compete with it, even if I'm the only person who feels that way about it! :P
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010, 05:02:25 pm »

Heh.

Aww.  I'm definately not going to have the coolest fort.  My butler wont even be particularly bad ass.  My challenge isn't my own challenge, it's your challenge from when I saw it and decided I'd like to try and do it.  So now I'm getting like 0 points when scoring comes  ;)

So, I will remember your scoring system, and just point out how many points my fort would have in it, and how many the others' forts would have, if they'd been scored with it.  Cause that challenge sounds interesting to me and I want to compete with it, even if I'm the only person who feels that way about it! :P

Well the problem with the point system is people are pretty much forced into doing only two or three things, and dwarf fortress really isn't meant for that kinda challenge I think.  Also, I'm really annoyed, I've ran into a bug that's forced me to stop my example butler because it always crashes at this point no matter what I do.  Back to the drawing board XD

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 04:54:22 am »

Totally understood.  Your challenge that was tempted me, was all.  Sorry your map's crashing on ya.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2010, 05:04:27 am »

It's fine.  I'm trying the 7 dwarves variant right now, no trade, above ground, no traps.  Should be a lot of craziness since I can't trade for gems :( Think I'm gonna make my dining room out of soap floors and walls lol.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 12:54:03 am »

Ah, so;

Seven dwarves, all members of "The Help" have embarked upon a mission: the ultimate dwarfy resort. Under royal decree, attendance shall be free, and the empire (That is, the dwarven civiliation, the Pulley of Humidity) will subsidy it's functioning.

Or so they say. Unfortunately, after all the overhead is accounted for- imperial taxes, tithes, operating expenses and such- there remains insufficient money for other employees.

This goes a ways to explain why the fortress's name is "Asaserith"; technically, this is usually translated as "Rapidlabors", but more accurately would be rendered as "Frantically laboring".

The seven new employees of the Pulley of Humidity strike the earth! They have much to delve if they wish to satisfy the onrushing hordes of new guests to the emperor's satisfaction.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 02:36:32 am »

Heh, well I'm officially done with writing stories after the long one I finished recently, and I'm not really competing, so here's just a summary so far.  My fort has been rather... interesting. 

Dwarves: 3 military dwarves, a doctor, a grower/herbalist, brewer cook, and a jack of all trades.

Inventory: some copper and tin ore to make 3 sets of bronze armor, a bunch of dogs for food, some wood, 27 pieces of flux, and some random junk.

So first off I make a large perimeter so I can have all the lumber I'll ever need.  Before I finish, my woodcutter gets mauled by a bear, giving the only nerve damage I've seen in 3 forts, effectively making for 6 dwarves.  I forage for herbs to start farming, and it turns out the entire map has not one ounce of rope read to intialize thread farming, so my doctor is almost worthless to start with.  Considering I'm foregoing trade I try and let my liason go crazy.  I think it worked:  He's been bashing a deer for a battle report over 130 pages long resulting in lots of deer vomit.

Population: 14
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:18:12 am by Greep »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 04:47:35 am »

Rope reed can be a little hard to find, even when it can grow in your area.  What other plants have you found?  If you gathered any rat weed or fisher berry, your area definately will grow rope reed sooner or later.  I've typically found one rope reed plant for every 10-15 rat weeds and fisher berries.

Those three plants like it wet so you usually find them in swampy areas, above aquifiers, and the like, but they don't actually require full wetlands like muck root does.
Pages: 1 2 [3]