Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gah alligators!  (Read 1872 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Gah alligators!
« on: May 26, 2010, 09:40:23 am »

My laterst fort has done some stuff to piss off the elves so much that they have begun to ambush me. Their latest ambush consisted of some 6 squads, riding on grizzly bears, alligators and the ever so frilly unicorns. Now, the elves wernt much of a problem; their weapons utterly fail to get through even bronze armour and so they got masacred.

The alligators however ARE a problem. Most of them fough on a drawbridge over a thin part the lake, and with dodging being brilliant and all most of them drowned their riders. Some of those bled to death, but three of them survived.

And now all my dwarves are freaking out because there is a bunch of elfigators chilling out under my drawbridge. I cant get the idiots to just ignore them, or shoot them.

Any of you got a reasonably easy idea on how to get rid of them, or should I just mod them to death?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Gah alligators!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:54:15 am »

Drop your military down there?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TheDarkEnigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:26:50 am »

Magma! Or cave-in...

Since there's water down there I guess you can't do much else... unless you found a way to diver the flow.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:23:43 am »

Part of my military did drop down there during the battle. It didnt go so well for them.

I guess ill see if my dwarves manage to build a cavein above the lake, as my magma is still many many z-levels below.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 12:09:08 pm »

Dig underground next to the moat, station your militery there and then breach the wall. The miner should flee, the militery should attack, and problem solved.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 12:25:54 pm »

Go enough z levels above them to not get cancelations (many z levels) and drop some walls on them.  Alternatively, get a catapault to fire at them and wait a long time. 

Too bad you can't have magma hauled in steel insulated buckets ^_^
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 12:43:46 pm »

While military crossbow dwarves fail, I have managed to get hunters to shoot with crossbows. Maybe if you assign some hunters? Make sure to set hunter ammunition to like "500 steel bolts" and get your arsenal dwarf to sign it off. Oh and don't ever put those bolts in a bin, dwarves don't know how to assign binned bolts.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 03:51:07 pm »

Two  questions.

1) What gender are the alligators? Is there a breeding pair? If so, cage trap time.

2) Does the lake freeze? If so, things will sort themselves out come winter. As a bonus, you can mine out and then butcher the corpses for food.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 11:26:04 am »

LordShotGuns plan has one little problem: breaching the wall will drown my military. The 'moat' is a lake.

Going up a whole lot of z levels is good one. Not doing so did spam me cancelations.

Id have them breed, but I tried that with 'enemy' annimals before and they just slaughtered their young. 'The alligator has giving birth!' 'The alligator hatchling has bled to death! x3'

The lake doesnt freeze, regretably. That would make constructions in there so much easier too...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 11:39:42 am »

Hi!

Is there a way for you to refill the lake if it gets dried up? Or can you do without the lake?

If either of that is true, you could simply drain the lake using a cave-in. This way, you don't need to risk the life of your dwarves. And you can decide how exactly to deal with the alligators (cage traps along the flow path, killing those not going down the drain using your military, for instance).

And even though it is obvious, let me remind you that grates can help a lot when designing a water-gator-separating system. Sorry, I know everyone knows, but it is easy to forget in the heat of battle.

Deathworks

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 01:48:13 pm »

I see 4 answers

1.) Drain teh lake.  Either through piercing and alowing it to flow off site from below or with a burning lignite brick in a bin.
2.) Pump up obsidian.  Pave over the lake with it. Make obsidian trinkets out of the petrified gators.
3.) Cave ins from above.  Clever use of constructions and supports should let you rain death from above.  Even if the cave in doesn't kill them, they should die from being underwater while unconscious.
4.) Ranged Attacks.  Hunters should be able to do the trick.  Catapults will do it slowly AND rid you of excess stone.  Two problems solved at once!
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 01:48:58 pm »

Deathworks has a point. You could sacrifice one miner and breach the lowermost Z level of the lake and have most levels insta-drain into a corner of the map. (do put a mechanism such as a floodgate or a drawbridge to stop the drainage when you want it to fill again), then your military might be able to walk to the elfgators.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »

I see several people suggesting the usage of catapults. Clearly, said people have never actually used catapults, since they don't actually work across multiple Z-levels. The only way they'd work would be if you placed them IN the lake, but that'd lead to lots of other problems.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 09:46:38 pm »

Hi!

Thank you for your support Djohaal. However, I need to correct you on one count: You do not need to sacrifice a miner if you cave-in breach the lake:

1. Dig out a tunnel directly below the lake so that there is just a single floor between the two.
2. Construct some floors high above the lake held up by a single support so that at least one tile of the tunnel and the floors share the same x and y coordinates.
3. Remove the ramp leading up to the floors or what other connection you had to them (I suggest constructed ramps as they get deconstructed from the bottom level) so that no one gets stranded on the construction.
4. Link the support to a distant lever and pull it.
5. Breach complete.

I have done this on a small scale with murky pools, and it worked like a charm. Just make sure you don't use anything expensive in the construction as some of the material might actually be destroyed by the flowing water. And for things in the tunnel, make sure to keep a safety distance to the planned breach to avoid damage to those things. And, remember that cave-ins breach ALL floors until they hit a wall - so make sure that there is no dug-out tile directly below the tunnel where you breach it.

Deathworks

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 10:32:17 pm »

Id have them breed, but I tried that with 'enemy' annimals before and they just slaughtered their young. 'The alligator has giving birth!' 'The alligator hatchling has bled to death! x3'

Well, depending on how much you want pet alligators, you could try this.

Dig an open shaft three levels high and designate the hole at the top as a Pit.

Top level
Code: [Select]
wwww
w_ x
wwww

On the floor below, build a retractable bridge one space wide and connect it to a lever in your meeting hall.

Second Level

wHw

On the bottom, place cage traps.

Bottom level
Code: [Select]
wwww
w^^x
wwww

Now, catch a female alligator with a cage trap and toss her into the pit. The minute you get a birth announcement, pull the lever and drop the alligators down below. She'll land in the cage trap while the hatchlings are left unharmed. Repeat until you get a female alligator hatchling.
Pages: [1] 2