Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you do when you have > 50 idlers?  (Read 2283 times)

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you do when you have > 50 idlers?
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:36:19 am »

After about 2 hours of playing and creating a solid fort I end up with a shit ton of ilders, I don't know what to do with them cause I really don't really find a need for them.

Khan FurSainty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do when you have > 50 idlers?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:38:54 am »

Magma.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:40:11 am »

An Army.

Arm your fortress to the teeth.

DasGuntLord01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:52:36 am »

Mega project.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:25:30 am »

All of the above!!!

Seriously, you should build automated security systems that bathe your attackers in magma; the walls of the magma cystern and especially the drowning chamber MUST be constructed from kitten soap...

In my fort I have NO idlers, the ones who aren't producing food or booze are making adamantium for my military and green glass for my Ropeless Goblin Bungee Jump Tower!

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:13:15 am »

Set them all to Stone Detailing with Dwarf Therapist.
SMOOTH EVERYTHING.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 05:24:05 am »

Set them all to Stone Detailing with Dwarf Therapist.
SMOOTH EVERYTHING.
ENGRAVE EVERYTHING! Eventually they'll reach Legendary and they'll start carving masterwork engravings of themselves engraving masterworks! Self-referencing FTW!

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:47:01 am »

Mass orgy.  No seriously, if you set a one tile meeting hall zone, they will get to 4000+ mood from socializing, and you don't get that happy from talking lemme tell ya.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 05:52:13 am »

Generally I just set all my grunts to masonry, set my mason's workshops to a higher minimum skill level so they don't muck around there, and then build something. If that fails, put them all into the military and let them train endlessly. If that fails, kill 'em all and see if you can work past it.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 07:35:44 am »

Order a bunch of stuff dumped. I can always find a need for a new stockpile of SOMETHING. If I persistantly have tons of idlers, just pick an industry and expand it a whole bunch.

Or of course make a huge, impossible, and unnecessary megaproject that will no doubt claim several lives for no real reason.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:13:25 am »

Hi!

First of all, I think you should be grateful for all those idlers - that increases the chances that emergencies are dealt with. If you want to put that workforce to good use, consider stockpiling things using very specific stockpiles (like a gold stockpile, a lead stockpile, a black bronze stockpile, a turtle shell stockpile, a dog bone stockpile, a silk sock stockpile, a cloth sock stockpile,...). This makes your fortress orderly, gives you a good overview over your resources and in general keeps things nice and dandy.

Deathworks

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:17:14 am »

Sacrifices for the immortal FB that I was too lazy to kill via magma or cave-in.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 08:33:34 am »

Create a large-scale water distribution system and a large-scale magma distribution system and make sure they never touch (except where you want to make obsidian).

Dig out an entire z-level with legendary miners, then dump all the stone.

Make a fort large and well-stocked enough to sustain over 1000 dwarves, even if you only have 50.

Build rooms for more/greedier nobles than you'll ever get.

Find a way to line the ocean floor with clear glass and create the world's biggest aquarium by digging out the level below.

Experiment with the fluid physics system (I had some interesting fun trying to build an easily resettable natural cave-in trap).

Or you could just draft them all into the military and designate patrol points all around your fortress - get all your idlers running in circles.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 08:43:14 am »

Craft everything!  Stone crafts, bone crafts, glass crafts, metal crafts, gem, cloth, silk, food industries! Still got idlers?  MAKE MORE THINGS.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:54:37 am »

Craft everything!  Stone crafts, bone crafts, glass crafts, metal crafts, gem, cloth, silk, food industries! Still got idlers?  MAKE MORE THINGS.

Ever tried this?  I have, and I don't recommend it.  My experience.
Pages: [1] 2