Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Use TRAC for bug tracking  (Read 476 times)

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Use TRAC for bug tracking
« on: February 06, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

It would be much easier to report bugs and track duplicate reports. Also workarounds could be posted there.

[ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: aha ]

tail -f -n 10 df_27_176_38a/gamelog.txt

baby_peacock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Use TRAC for bug tracking
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

I think this is an excellent idea. I've used Trac in several projects before and can attest to its merits.

It can also be used to keep track of all the Core/Req/Bloat/etc. features in the form of tickets. This is a boon to developers but also to the people who want to make suggestions, since they could then search the database to see if the requested feature is already in there.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

I think people've suggested bugtrackers to Toady before, and he's continued using his own methods.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

I've seen what happens with bug trackers and a large user base (compaired to the number of people fixing bugs).  Second Life uses JIRA and there are some 27000 "open bugs" most of which are irrelevant, duplicates, or mis-entered entries that were accidentally submitted.

People have a hard time as it is searching the forums (even threads that are still on the first page) before posting a duplicate report.  Toady wouldn't be able to devote the time to keeping the system clean, or he would, but then wouldn't have as much time to work on the bugs.

baby_peacock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>I've seen what happens with bug trackers and a large user base (compaired to the number of people fixing bugs).  Second Life uses JIRA and there are some 27000 "open bugs" most of which are irrelevant, duplicates, or mis-entered entries that were accidentally submitted.
</STRONG>

As I understand it, bugs are currently reported in one of the forums. I don't really see why using bug tracker would cause a surge in the number of bugs being reported, as it isn't really easier or more convenient for the ones reporting the bugs. On the contrary, it tends to be more demanding, posing all sorts of annoying questions(e.g. a stack dump if there was one, version, OS, etc).

The only difference is that the bug database would be easier to search for duplicates, from the error reporter's perspective, and to maintain, from the developers perspective.

This is of course assuming that Toady isn't already using some sort of bug tracker behind the scenes, but I don't presume to know anything about that.

quote:
<STRONG>
People have a hard time as it is searching the forums (even threads that are still on the first page) before posting a duplicate report.  Toady wouldn't be able to devote the time to keeping the system clean, or he would, but then wouldn't have as much time to work on the bugs.</STRONG>

As I said, I don't really know how Toady is maintaining the bug database as it is, but I don't think a bug tracker would impose any additional overhead (after an initial learning period anyway).

As for the general populace, well, I know that at least I would have a lot less of a hard time if there was an easier way to see if the cool feature I was about to suggest was already in the works.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:57:50 pm by penguinofhonor »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by baby_peacock:
<STRONG>As I said, I don't really know how Toady is maintaining the bug database as it is, but I don't think a bug tracker would impose any additional overhead (after an initial learning period anyway).</STRONG>

Toady has made comments about not upgrading the FORUMS due to additional overhead.