Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First thing that made you go "WTF?"  (Read 1943 times)

ziamatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First thing that made you go "WTF?"
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:14:04 am »

I'm a new player, just started a few days ago. I was intimidated by the complexity of the game, but TinyPirate's play-along tutorial proved to be extremely helpful. I think I may have spent too long building the bedroom floor, though, and didn't build traps to foil the goblins quickly enough. I was soon overrun by goblins and my dwarves were being slaughtered. By the time I decided to abandon my fortress I had lost over half my dwarves to the goblins. Obviously they were displeased and I observed some rather unusual behavior. The thing that made me go "WTF?", however, was one of my dwarves, he may have been a noble but I can't recall, murdered a fellow dwarf and then immediately claimed a butcher shop as his own. He worked furiously on an artifact that turned out to be a floodgate. Made of dwarf skull. That's when I went "WTF?"

What was the first thing in the game, if you can remember back that far, that made you really go "WTF?"

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First thing that made you go "WTF?"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:39:51 am »

As player of previous versions I was used to a lot...

Bug digging, finding a cavern and going "aha, this is a big one... and it goes on and on and on, completly turning 60+ z levels into swiss chess. Okay, lets dig past that... wtf another one?

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:53:44 am »

So I'm a bit of a newbie, and decide I'm finally ready to play with magma, make a worldgen stuffed with volcanoes, and embark.  Veterans are no doubt already grimacing.

So, doo dee doo de doo, I succesully channel out a bit through the volcano, make my magma smelters, they;re working, and I feel rather proud of myself...

Urist Mc woodchopper has bled to death!

...wha?

Urist McHauler has bled to death!
Urist Mchauler has bled to death!

AAAARG! WTF?! So I go to the surface and THE ENTIRE FOREST IS ON FIRE! Friggin imps. So I try to salvage it by sending the dwrves inside.  The food supplies catch on fire, they start drinking booze that's ON FIRE!

Esc
Abandon Fortress
Enter

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 02:16:49 am »

AAAARG! WTF?! So I go to the surface and THE ENTIRE FOREST IS ON FIRE! Friggin imps. So I try to salvage it by sending the dwrves inside.  The food supplies catch on fire, they start drinking booze that's ON FIRE!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/647323/stupid_flaming_shot_drinking/ :D?
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 02:20:05 am »

"Urist McPeasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Magma Man."

Ah crap. I look around and find the offender wrestling my expedition leader in the central stairway. I check the expedition leader's wounds:

"Her right foot is bruised."

...oookay. Check the Magma MaHOLYCRAPWHAT EVERYTHING'S RED OR GONE.

My expedition leader killed a Magma Man, aka. a MAN made of MAGMA. With her bare hands. And no fire was involved.

Her bedroom and office are now 20x20 rooms, fully engraved with exceptional and masterwork engravings, with platinum furniture studded wth gold and silver.
くコ:彡

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 02:29:51 am »

"Urist McPeasant cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Magma Man."

Ah crap. I look around and find the offender wrestling my expedition leader in the central stairway. I check the expedition leader's wounds:

"Her right foot is bruised."

...oookay. Check the Magma MaHOLYCRAPWHAT EVERYTHING'S RED OR GONE.

My expedition leader killed a Magma Man, aka. a MAN made of MAGMA. With her bare hands. And no fire was involved.

Her bedroom and office are now 20x20 rooms, fully engraved with exceptional and masterwork engravings, with platinum furniture studded wth gold and silver.

Clearly, she is the illegitimate daughter of Urist McBadass.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 02:56:06 am »

I WTF each and every time one of my perfectly planned and constructed traps or schemes fail to work.  Then of course I see where I missed something or forgot to take into account some factor.

Also that thread here on the forum about the goblin, er, pleasure palace with all the modded items.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 10:02:21 am »

What was the first thing in the game, if you can remember back that far, that made you really go "WTF?"

The very first thing that made me go WTF?!? was in fact the screen presented to me when I embarked on my first ever fort. It took me a long time to even realize what direction I was supposed to dig in, let alone how to do the actual digging (this was in the 2d version, where there was only one direction to dig - towards the right side of the screen). I think this is the only time when I have experienced such a complete and utter sense of WTFness in a game. The only thing that comes close is an early childhood memory of playing King's Quest I with no idea on how to use the text parser and absolutely zero grasp of the English language. On the other hand, as a child pretty much every moment is a WTF moment and you kind of take it in the stride, so I'm not sure if that counts.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »

I'm a new player, just started a few days ago. I was intimidated by the complexity of the game, but TinyPirate's play-along tutorial proved to be extremely helpful. I think I may have spent too long building the bedroom floor, though, and didn't build traps to foil the goblins quickly enough. I was soon overrun by goblins and my dwarves were being slaughtered. By the time I decided to abandon my fortress I had lost over half my dwarves to the goblins. Obviously they were displeased and I observed some rather unusual behavior. The thing that made me go "WTF?", however, was one of my dwarves, he may have been a noble but I can't recall, murdered a fellow dwarf and then immediately claimed a butcher shop as his own. He worked furiously on an artifact that turned out to be a floodgate. Made of dwarf skull. That's when I went "WTF?"

Oh wow, within a few days of playing you got a Fell Mood, the opposite of a Fey Mood. Yeah that's what happens when a dwarf gets struck by artifact inspiration when they happened to be unhappy and usually it takes deliberate misery-engineering to achieve that since those artifact moods hit at random times.

My first ever wtf moment was tame - carp in 40d. Took me a while to realise why my dwarves were bleeding corpses next to the river. It pales compared to the WTFWHYYYYYYYYYYY moments I had reading of other people's forts (why would you build a catwalk over a bottomless chasm with no safety railings... OUT OF SOAP???).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:58:14 pm »

When I discovered that my miner with two broken arms somehow escaped from 6 goblins while her baby and legendary axe dwarf husband were both cut down.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 03:14:53 pm »

When one of my dwarves went beserk, killed two wardogs,a and injured a bunch of people before finally starving to death. And he was never injured.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »

The oldest WTF!? I can think of was working a 40d fort with a magma pipe all they way up to to the surface.  I'm paying attention to my miners underground when suddenly I start to get "Urist McDwarf has burned to death!" and "Barky McDog has died in the heat!"  Fire Imps were my bane for a long, long time.

My most recent WTF was when I was trying to temporarily drain a major river so I could put the entrance to my fort proper in the middle of the river bed.  I knew of how dwarfs liked to spontaneously die in the rain, but I didn't read up on what caused it.  I was rather surprised when my poorly built row of pumps overflowed and I was suddenly greeted with the results of spontaneous dwarven liposuction.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 05:55:58 pm »

I once lost an entire fortress of 100+ dwarves to a single skeletal cave crocodile.

And let me tell you, those things move FAST!   :o

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 06:01:03 pm »

My broker/green glass maker kicked a fire man's head off.
Whoop dee doo, make glass
Oh hey, a Fire Man
*Punch punch drop kick*
Doop dee do, pick up some more sand...
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 06:20:58 pm »

The first time I tried to play Dwarf Fortress. I generated a world, and got confused on the world preview screen because I thought it was where I selected a place to start a character. I thought it was an average roguelike, similar to Angband, Dungeon Crawl, etc.

Boy was I wrong.
Pages: [1] 2