Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Realmsbolted Succession Game (Version 0.31.03)  (Read 5985 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: New Succession Game (Version 0.31.03)
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 01:23:45 am »

OK! First post, and never actually played DF10. I've sorta-kinda played 40d but only sorta-kinda. I'd like to sign up. Any bets on how long I'll last?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Put

• Bay Watcher
  • Vwoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 10:54:03 am »

Well dropping a block of natural stone into the aquifer in .31 didn't seem to work last time I tried. so that aquifer better be dealt with before my turn eh?

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 12:56:32 pm »

Magma?! Where we're going, we don't always need magma!

That's what pumps kittens are for.
Fixed. I vote we take care of water purification before we tackle the aquifier. Plus, our pump dorfs will get training for what I will call Operation Pump-and-Die. With my luck i'll find aquatic unicorns and lose all my miners to them.
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.

pieisgoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 07:42:05 pm »

I got a problem. Today I just got stuck with having to do a giant speech quite soon and I need to work on it for a few days. Does someone wlse want to trade spots with me? It's early spring in the fortress. IF anyone wants to trade tell me how to put up the save and I will.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 08:15:00 pm »

Sure, I'll trade with you.

First, make an account on the Dwarf Fortress File Depot:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php

Once you confirm through email, just zip the file to .zip or .rar with whatever program you use for that (Free WinZip on Windows, I like Zipeg for Mac, not sure about Linux).  And then give it a name and upload it.  The DFFD site is very user friendly. 

Once you're done, just post the link to the DFFD page in the thread.

Sorry to hear you got a speech out of nowhere.  Although I always found them more BS-able than giant papers at least. ::)

Good Luck.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:18:06 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

pieisgoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 09:01:41 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2448

Hope I did it right. If not I'll try to fix it.

I'll be able to watch the topic but til next week I have to devote my time to writing and memorizing my 5 minute speech. That's gonna be plenty of fun.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 09:06:35 pm »

I should have it downloaded in about 10 minutes.

Stay on that long so I can let you know if it works?

Is there anything you'd like me to focus on, since you started the turn and it's the first turn of your game, I'm willing to shift priorities around for the good of the game somewhat.  Want me to work on the aquifer breach?  Or on desalinization?  Or on building an aboveground fort to last indefinitely?

Also, how long do you want me to take, are we on the 1 week == 1 year starting tonight, or should I play until the end of winter of this year of the game (not spring) and/or play my turn in less than 7 days to reset the schedule.  I could do it in like 2 if it came to that.  Whatever works for you.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 09:37:14 pm »

Well you got the file up there, but something is wrong with it.  It just crashes my dwarf fortress.  I just downloaded a different save from the file depot, put that in my folder, and was able to get it to run.  Nothing obvious wrong with it though.  Try rezipping and reuploading, and I'll see if I can find anything potentially wrong on my end.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 09:53:54 pm »

Ok, tried it with a couple different versions, still can't get it to load, can still load various other saves.  But in .05 I get an error message now!

Resetting textures
EMERGENCY: Unknown case in async_wait
df: line 5:   288 Abort trap              ./dwarfort.exe

I'll get back to you when I know what it means, unless you do?

And now I'm back to getting kicked out of df without any error message when I try to load your save.  I've tried different versions and I've proved I can get a bunch of other saves to load, either there's something wrong with that file, or there's something weird about it that kills my computer in particular. 

I guess I won't be trading turns with you.

Let me know if you can download the file you made off DFFD, put it in your save folder, and actually get it to open, please?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:19:48 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

pieisgoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 07:55:16 am »

I fixed it. After you download it the region2 folder will open up to the folder that contains everything. move the second region 2 folder inside save files and of you go.

Also you should probably work on breaching the aquifir. Most of the people after you don't know how.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 09:49:50 am »

Huzzah!  The new file loads just fine.

Yeah there was something with that previous file either corrupted or screwed up during zip/upload.  Nested folders I can deal with, there was something else.

Understood: the aquifer will be breached by the end of my turn, at any reasonable cost.  I'll post a first update tonight or tomorrow.

Question for the thread:  Should I try to breach in large enough to get a caravan underground, or just enough for the dwarves?

pieisgoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2010, 10:11:24 am »

For your prevois question yeah we start 1 week = 1 year starting yesterday. So you'll manage the fort until the end of spring I guess? The next person will go from summer to spring and so on. This'll also give you time to have fun with the elves.

Also could you name a dwarf after me? I forgot to.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:27:17 am by pieisgoo »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010, 10:25:03 am »

Sure, actually I'll just go ahead and name one dwarf after each of the first 7 people signed up.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 12:54:31 pm »

Haven't actually done it yet, but how do people feel about these name assignments?

1:Pieisgoo - Expedition Leader/Miner
2:Pentigan - Wood Cutter/Carpenter
3:lishain - Farmer/Herbalist
4:Put - Brewer/Doctor
5:Arni - Miner/Craftdwarf
6:TatersAndTots - Smith
7:UmbrageofSnow - Mason/Mechanic

I can switch around if anyone cares.  As to the specific job assignments, I'm just working with what I was given.  Although since I haven't yet breached the aquifer and I can't abide idle dwarves, We Are All Carpenters Here.

The one thing I really wish for is that we had embarked with a couple stone for mechanisms.  Oh well, cest la vie.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:59:06 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 01:19:45 pm »

And summer brings a wave of migrants (and our inaugural unicorn attack).  Anyway, plenty of dwarf options for everybody now, as I haven't gotten around to naming anyone yet.

And the migrants brought monkeys to steal all our cloth...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:25:32 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5