Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fort Layouts  (Read 5630 times)

Egregius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Layouts
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 05:26:30 pm »

Usually I do the boring stuff:
-1 tile entrance into a hill side
-trade depot on the surface, eventually mostly surrounded by a wall
-3 tile hallways with rooms of the side (proper rooms with doors tho), or large storage areas with the workshops around it (again: in seperate rooms)
-legendary dining hall
-3/4 tile rooms not too far away. Try to always give people engraved rooms with coffers and cabinets, but now I get the 'rent' thing..
-barracks/dormitory next to hallway at the entrance
-shaft downward some way further into my fortress, but never straight down for too long, always mixed with a short bit of hallway to the next stairs every 5-10 levels for security reasons.

Last time however I got inspired by the idea of multi-z-level hallways, and wanted to do something like this (local for me) but with more levels. Storage rooms behind the workshops that were off the main hallway.

And I once read on here about a guy doing his low-status sleeping quarters like they were directly above sewers: a canal through which water flowed, topped by grates, and the low-budget housing would be all along the grated hallway. I did a multi-level version hereof. Gave me an idea for a refuse flushing system too.
Every time I see the letter c I think of cats, then genocide, then delicious stew.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Layouts
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 05:39:18 pm »

My layouts have changed with every recent fort I make. I've done some standard underground type forts, but some others include:

A large, above-ground town packed with roads and buildings with individual functions
An underground variant of the above inside a cavern, aimed at pumping out adamantine
A large cathedral encompassing the entire fort, my current megaproject
Pages: 1 [2]