Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raspeddiamonds- The suicidal challenge .31 (CONCLUDED)!  (Read 1679 times)

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raspeddiamonds- The suicidal challenge .31 (CONCLUDED)!
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:00:18 pm »

Goblins have always been a minor annoyance rather than a real adversary, so I decided to up the ante with this fort and start a game I cannot win in the long run.  This fort has the following restrictions: No metal objects of any kind (no picks :O), 21 population max, goblins siege at 20 population, glacier, no mechanisms (and technically no marksdwarves from the bugs, not by choice), and no fullying walling myself in (not that I even can, I can't farm for my own beer).  I'm currently partway through my third year, much longer than I thought I'd last.

Here's the tale told so far by Fath Dumaterar, the brewer:

Year 1:

Dwarves have a rather cruel way of punishing their felons in the southern region.  No we don't get bludgeoned or jailed. We're sent to a glacier right next to a goblin fort for 10 years.  And that's not the worst part.  We're forbidden the use of any metal or mechanics.  I feel like a friggin' elf.  What did I do to deserve this? Let's just say even dwarves can drink a bit too much and leave it at that.

Our expedition leader, Melbil, had an odd choice of supplies: lots of wood, lots of coal (huh?!), some obsidian, some leather, a few stones, a lot of dogs, and the usual plump helmets.  Well at least I'd have a lot of brewing to keep my mind off things.  You'd think they wouldn't allow my near the forts booze supply, but dwarves'll do anything for some high quality beer ;)

Immediately, we begin making some barrels, booze, cooking the seeds into biscuits, turn the dogs into food and goods, and then Melbil, asks me to make some charcoal and turn all the coal into coke to build the walls.  I wonder what's the bloody point in evaporating half the resource when we could just make the walls out of coal. It's simple physics! Well, physics decided to take a vacation that day, as we made 180 walls/floors out of 90 units of coal.  To top it off our crafted obsidian short swords popped out of the workshop as wooden short swords*  Maybe the cold was making me hallucinate.

The rest of the year was pretty uneventful.  There were some trade goods, with lots of shiny, sparkly steel, but not for us :( A few more loads of unlucky convicts appear.  Three soldiers and eventually most of the immigrants were bashing each other with leather shields all day thinking it'll make them leet**

*(Freakin' .31.03 bug)
**Technically they were bashing themselves.  Yay individual shield training.

Year 2:

One of our winter immigrants is going nuts.  All of us here have weathered snowstorms and crappy beds without our own rooms for a year and this shmuck is smack talking after a month or two.  I warn the leader that this'll get out of hand but she's a bit too confident in her own leadership abilities, thinking she'll be able to handle it.  Then he starts a fist fight.  Turns out this guy's got a record for pissing off just about everyone*  We knew what had to be done.  The elves come by and nervously sell us some beer and plants, prolly wondering what the hell they're doing around some pissed off dwarves in dog bone and leather armor.  After the trade, we tell Litast, the shmuck, to go scout the northern area of the fort.  We lock the door.  We here some shouts and some rather baffled humans on the outside as he raids their caravan for food, but they won't let him touch a drop of their wine.  And a dwarf without alcohol... well.  It's best not to think about it.

The rest of the crew are getting mildly annoyed so we order some gems for next years caravan.  We may be cold and eventually die from goblin invasions, but by god we'll enjoy it if our tables are full of diamonds.  Oh and our leader gets married.  A rather odd setting to get married if you ask me, and they wisely forego throwing a wedding party.  6 of our military are nearly finished with their swordsman training, and all remaining dwarves but me, the cook, the bone carver, and our leader are sent into shield training.  We knew it wouldn't be long.

*Rarely happy? Worst attribute you can get on a glacier fort.

Year 3:

A Goblin siege.  The time has come.  We knew our inferior gear would never get us through the day, but by god we wouldn't go down without a fight.  A dozen goblins and a jabberer (what in gods name IS that beast?) come in through the west immediately heading towards our tiny fort.  We send our 6 battleworthy dwarves to hopefully smash their ranks before the jabberer can hit us too hard, and I look out hopefully on the unfinished rooftop.  The humans were apparently really ecstatic about the trading and decided to join in too.  The battle lasts a few hours* Our soldiers take quite a beating but we manage to kill a goblin and... and THEY RUN! 13 goblins and a giant beast AND THEY RUN! We spend the next few days** mopping up the remaining force.  Victory.  Not one loss.

Or so we thought...  Our militia commander, Dumat, comes back grinning with blood all over one leg*** Tud, the leaders husband, comes back with a pretty mangled looking foot****  Dumat goes right back to training but Tud looks a bit sick.  It's just a foot wound, though, how bad can it be?  And then it happened.  The Dwarven Wound Syndrome.  Tud lied down and started requesting that foulest of medicines, water.  It was too cold to melt the ice around us.  Eventually Tud passed away.  Tud's death heavily weighs down on Melbil, but she looks like she can take it.  No doubt the lingering memory of Litasts end was in the back of her mind.

More goblins will likely be fought, but we'll be ready.  And Dumat made sure they'd be nervous.  Don't mess with a dwarven convict:

*a few seconds basically.  I was on 300 FPS XD
** a minute.  Not surprisingly, while you can cripple someone pretty bad as a legendary fighter, you can't do much LETHAL damage without metal.
*** Red, broken right leg.
****Another red wound.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:30:33 am by Greep »

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raspeddiamonds- The suicidal challenge .31
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 04:22:47 pm »

Epic. Can't wait to read more.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 05:30:05 pm »

Yeah, it's exciting even me! Unfortunately it's finals week so I'm probably not going to start another play block till friday :*(  Still gonna spend some time planning, though.  God construction materials are rare, I'm torn between making a more defensive entrance or spending more time giving a ceiling to block out the snowstorms with my next shipment of wood.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 05:04:37 am »

Ah finals can suck it.  I'm getting a B in the class whether I get an A or a D on the final anyways.  Here's the rest of year 3 before I'm going to bed.

Year 3 (continued)

Well Melbil hanged on fairly well and was back to her good old self again.  Well that is to say she was pissed off and hated her job, but at least she wouldn't be trying to kill everyone.  We awaited eagerly for the dwarven caravan to arrive, and oh was it worth the wait!  Among our usual requests of wood and other supplies we requested all gems at the highest priority.  When the caravan arrived we were amazed to find OVER 500 gems for sale, dozens of which were diamonds!  Unbelievable!  We were forced to choose all the lesser gems for practice on dog bone carvings and bought the diamonds for our dining hall.  3 gems later, our dining room is simply magnificent*

At about this time we also realize we left almost 20 units of coal in the wagon.  We definately had our work cut out for us. 
Our year ends with a single squad ambush.  Unfortunately, our defensive system is still a bit lacking, so the only warning we receive is them busting right through the front door. 

The result? Stalemate (no important deaths).

Our inuries: Ral receives a gaping wound on her lower body, and bruises her lower spine

Their Injuries: Pretty much everything that wasn't covered by armor.  Masses of ears and fingers lie everywhere, it's pretty gross.

After a few hours of battle, the goblins decide they've had enough.  A bunch of Dogs got smashed up and killed but I've got 50 more.  2 gobbys were left slowed and getting knocked around heavily, which we could've easily killed.  But you know what? It just wasn't worth it.  It was a minor ambush anyways, these probably weren't even the main sieging goblins.  They weren't worth risking a broken nose over**

*Decent to grand in 3 badly encrusted gems. I love diamonds :)
**At about this time I'm starting to realize... I will never break through their armor.  Literally all goblin deaths so far have resulted from bleeding to death from outer wounds.  I can really only hope at this point to try and pinpoint gobbys with gaps in their armor and hope to crush their morale by killing them quickly.  Ironically, I may end up going for their weakly armored giant creatures first.  The Jabberer earlier got smashed in only a few hits, all massive hits.

Pictures!
The ambush:

The Upper Fort:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:08:32 am by Greep »

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raspeddiamonds- The suicidal challenge .31 CONCLUDED!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 01:19:12 am »

This was, perhaps, the coolest technical victory I will ever have in dwarf fortress.  Here it goes.

Year 4

Ah Spring again.  Our main military force starts it's weapon training, so we might finally stand a chance against these sieges.  I'm left doing some drudgery leatherworking in the hopes that our armor might be in a slightly improved state.  Not that it's helping much anyways*  The elves come by, giving us some mediocre booze but at least- *DRUMS*

Oh no- Goblins! So soon! Just a few more months till august and our military would be ready and our entrance better defended** Goblins with huge armies of giant beasts in the southwest and northeast, and TROLLS in the Northwest.  Us untrained workers would never survive with our doors smashed in and us cornered.  And the deaths of our unskilled would cause a panick in even our trained warriors. There was only one thing to do.

All dwarves joined the military.  Our horde of dogs was ordered to block the east to give us time for the untrained to escape to the southwest corner.  The partially trained take the northwest to destroy the trolls, which won't last long without armor on.  Finally, the rest would guard the main gate and try to break the force.

All the workers but our leader, Melbil, made it to the south.  Melbil decided if the fort was going down she'd go down with it***  The trolls unsurprisingly break.  Cursed goblins, if they had faced us with steel they would've dropped like flies...

(trolls fleeing in the north, workers in the southwest (one's behind a dog I think):

This is it.  Without our help the main force is lost.  Even if we only provide a little relief we might just provide the distraction needed to win.  Oh bugger all, here we go! (The journal of Fath, the brave, ends here).

More pictures!

Fath joining the fight (part of the lower mid-left force), ANOTHER force, fully beasts, coming in the northeast, and more goblins fleeing but some staying still:

Mopping up the remaining jabberer.  Goblins in the north are finishing their flight:

Victory! (If you can call 8 tantruming dwarves a victory...):

*Thankfully defensive training means they rarely hit, but I think the iron is always going through.
** Truly an oh shit moment.  6 main military, 10 backups with defensive skills but only proficient swordsmanship.
*** Actually she got in aggro range and couldn't pull it.  Stupid dwarves  :o
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:21:57 am by Greep »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Raspeddiamonds- The suicidal challenge .31 (CONCLUDED)!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 12:20:57 am »

One could not have asked for a more perfect battlefield.

EDIT: Oh, and did Fath live?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raspeddiamonds- The suicidal challenge .31 (CONCLUDED)!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 12:31:05 am »

nah poor fath didn't make it :( (strangely the cook and carver lived, didn't expect that). I prolly would've continued at at this point except both the expedition leader and the arsenal dwarf died and, well, you know how that bug works.