Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A newbtastic community game  (Read 2796 times)

halftime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A newbtastic community game
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 09:18:11 pm »

Update first (finally, some fun!), followed by some character screens in the next post. And for the curious, I'm playing .31.04.

Seasonal update--Winter 1051

This summer, we gathered to mourn the first casualty of this expedition. Let me tell you his tale.

Arni Naurloth was an ambitious and enthusiastic miner, even by Dwarven standards. He was never once discouraged by the region's inhospitable geology, and his perseverance soon became legendary. And it was he who proposed the ill-fated Aquifer Puncture Project.

It began well enough. We fashioned a water pump out of wooden parts and installed it without any problems. One of the immigrants was assigned to operate the pump while Arni delved deeper. The pump worked well enough, but a single pump was not enough to completely drain the chamber we dug out of the aquifer. The operator yelled at Arni to stop digging, but he persisted, and soon found himself deep underwater, with no route back to safety. By the time the operator was able to run to the main quarters for help, it was already too late.

To honor his achievements and sacrifice, we have commenced construction on the Arni Naurloth Memorial Dining Hall, based on one of Arni's own blueprints. It shall be shaped like a massive five-story stone cylinder, sunken partway into the earth, topped by a circular pane of glass. The tables will be placed on the ground floor and on an observation platform just below the glass ceiling. Additionally, this platform will be supported by a set of four winding staircases forming an enormous quadruple helix. It shall require a monumental effort, but it is the least we can do for our fallen brother.

It was only after we'd gotten over the initial shock of Arni's death that we realized that, along with Arni, we had lost the expedition's only mining pick. Fortunately, we were able to overcome this problem with a bit of Dwarven ingenuity. Using some metal bars that we had been planning on reserving for weaponsmithing, we constructed an emergency wood furnace and forge in the dining hall and still had just enough metal left over to forge a new pick. We promoted a lowly cheese maker to the position of new Head Miner, and we were once again ready to dig.

We have begun our aquifer project anew, this time with multiple pumps covering a wider area. Hopefully this new arrangement will sufficient to get us down to the valuable ores that surely lie beneath us. As of this writing, the last pump is nearly in place, and this time we will proceed with more caution.

On my rare visits to the surface, I have noticed a curious phenomenon. When we arrived here, there were many small, murky pools scattered across the area, all of which have since dried up. I don't know if this is an annual phenomenon, or if the land itself is somehow reacting to our presence here. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

We were recently visited by our outpost liaison, Urdim Trailtowns. Urdim, a burly axedwarf, was not pleased to see how little we had to offer in terms of trade. Captain Brunch tried to explain to him our recent difficulties, but Urdim would have nothing of it. In the end, the Captain wound up giving him some barrels of booze in exchange for a few metal bars, just to shut him up. I just hope we don't regret that decision once the winter sets in--not that it's likely to get any colder around here.

Hopefully by next year, we'll have produced enough trade goods to buy ourselves some livestock. Spartan, one of our recent immigrants, seems rather intent on starting a cheese empire. We shall see, Spartan, we shall see.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:57:48 pm by halftime »

halftime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 10:08:55 pm »

Dwarf profiles! Man, I'm glad the extended bios came along with the ability to resize the game window. :)

Teyo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Captain Brunch:

Miss Slaughter:

Deon Gaurd:

The late, great Arni Naurloth:

Ashford:

Helga van Zant:

Doppel:

Spartan:

Nye "The Professor":

Also, Arni, feel free to claim another character if you'd like. I'm sorry I didn't take such good care of your first one. :(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:17:01 pm by halftime »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »

I usually use at least three pumps so this very thing does not happen.  RIP Arni.

And Helga is much as I pictured her.  If she doesn't have enough to do, participation in a leather making industry would also be up her alley.

halftime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 11:36:57 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately I did not get your warning until it was too late. But you'll have to wait until my next seasonal update to find out what happened with attempt #2... ;)

Hmm... Miss Slaughter does have some as-yet-unused butchery skill points... And in a little while I should have a breeding pair of cats... Kitten slippers, anyone? *evil grin*

Seasonal update--Spring 1052

Success! It took a mighty effort in which over half the dwarves in the fortress manned pump shifts, but we have finally broken through the aquifer to the rocky paradise that lies below! Carrying on admirably in Arni's stead, the new miner has already discovered multiple veins of iron ore, and hopes are high that this sedimentary layer will also contain deposits of lignite or coal to help us establish a metalsmithing industry. Trees (for making charcoal) are plentiful in the jungle regions above the surface, of course, but even are soldiers are wary of the elephants that roam the area. They seem a bit skittish and tend to avoid dwarves and other creatures, but I certainly wouldn't want to accidentally provoke one.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 03:33:38 pm »

Looks like Ashford is the perfect cook, Shes going to be looking forward to cooking elephant.

halftime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 03:47:37 pm »

Seasonal update--Summer 1053:

Migrants. Lots of 'em. Twenty-three new dwarfs showed up at our doorstep, more than doubling our population overnight. We're still scrambling to expand our living quarters to fit everyone. It's been a nightmare finding productive work for them all, many of whom don't have any useful or relevant skills. This means a lot of idle dwarves milling about. Well, at least everyone will have time to make new friends, and there can't be any downside to that, right?

Speaking of the expanding population, our fledgling fortress witnessed its first new birth. The parents were our new miner and a weaponsmith. I am pleased to report that their new baby girl seems quite happy and healthy. Many thought that the first new parents in the fortress would be Deon and Miss Slaughter, but those two still haven't even set a date for their wedding.

One of the newer immigrants--a lye maker, I believe, but it's getting hard to keep track--has recently begun to behave very oddly, as though possessed by some sort of spirit. He's taken to hiding in a crafting workshop, muttering to himself about how he needs silk cloth. Unfortunately, we don't have any handy to give to him, so we plan on digging deep into the earth in the hopes of finding some usable spiderwebs. This news proved a bit too much for our miner, who is already suffering under the combined stress of fatherhood, digging out new rooms, and mining the newly discovered coal vein beneath the aquifer. Accordingly, we've begun forging a new pick so that he can have an assistant.

halftime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 05:32:47 pm »

Seasonal update--Fall 1052:

Our new assistant miner discovered a cavern! Gems, ores, trees, underground lakes--and a family of ugly troglodytes. Luckily, there was no need to be concerned, as the crack military squad of Captain Brunch, Miss Slaughter, and Deon Gaurd were able to take them down easily.

Although there were spiderwebs in this cavern as well, we didn't manage to collect enough in time--the lye maker went insane from the evil forces possessing him and succumbed to thirst not much later. A new dwarf seems to have gotten strange ideas into her head, though--a glassmaker. We'd better make sure we get her what she needs this time.

halftime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 06:57:08 pm »

Seasonal update--Winter 1052:

The glassmaker has finished her artifact--"The Fat Plays", a perfect green glass gem. It bears an image of a giant leopard attacking a dwarf. If you squint, you can just make out the dwarf's teeth flying out of his mouth. Considering that one can occasionally see giant leopards lurking in the jungle, the artifact understandably makes many of our dwarves feel rather uneasy.

Our trio of guards had to fight off more underground menaces, including troglodytes and a gorlak. Nobody seemed to suffer any serious wounds, but Miss Slaughter, it turns out, contracted some sort of infection and didn't go to see Doctor van Zant quickly enough. When Deon learned of her death, he nearly went mad with rage--their wedding was to take place just a few days afterward. Some nearby dwarves were able to subdue him, but he's been quiet and moody ever since.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 10:36:41 pm »

Remember, cheese prevents tantrum spirals!
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 05:39:35 am »

:(

Oh wells, no wedding and one funeral. Wish she had some offspring before she sang the fat lady, or something.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

halftime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 11:32:57 pm »

Seasonal update--Spring 1053:

Our weaponsmith has forged "Coversilence," a legendary bronze short sword! I'm still not sure how she managed to make the pig tail cloth all spiky...

A cave crocodile recently broke down the door outside our main mine shaft. Fortunately, Captain Brunch and Deon Gaurd managed to catch and defeat it before it could make it through the long, twisting corridors to the main dwarven quarters. Looks like it's time to put the mechanic to work making some traps.

On a lighter note, Captain Brunch was adopted by an adorable kitten! Damn. I need to remember to put newborn kittens in cages before the dwarves get all attached...

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 07:47:09 am »

On a lighter note, Captain Brunch was adopted by an adorable kitten! Damn. I need to remember to put newborn kittens in MAGMA before the dwarves get all attached...

Fixed that for ya.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 10:09:13 am »

Yay! Brunch has a kitten! If you could give her the artifact sword, that would be awesome, too!
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 02:23:49 pm »

On a lighter note, Captain Brunch was adopted by an adorable kitten! Damn. I need to remember to put newborn kittens in MAGMA before the dwarves get all attached...

Fixed that for ya.

See another good reason to have magma in the kitchen!

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 03:17:33 pm »

I'll take one. Doesnt have to be this guy, can be any peasant.

22. Deler, peasant [unclaimed!]

Name: Nye  "The Professor"

Profession: Doctor, all fields

Profession name: "The Professor"

Information: Aspires to "cure" mankind and elves. (ergo- make them dwarves) He hates elves and humans, and thinks humanity and elfness are both diseases that require treatment. They must either be purged or cured. Kobolds and Goblins are not included in this category, although he does hate them as well.

Given the chance, he will experiment on humans and elves with very large blades and syringes.

Unnaturally cheerful.

Meowth! That's right!
Pages: 1 [2] 3