Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Corvette meets torpedo. Now with naval tactics and stuff.  (Read 14554 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Corvette meets torpedo, or: Koreas hate each other, again.
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2010, 11:13:43 pm »

In my U.S. History class, we just finished going over the Korean War. When the war was fought, the U.S.A. got help from the U.N. in driving back the North Korean army. Are there any treaties or blood pacts (et cetera) that would cause the U.N. to go back in once more?

Saying that the U.S. fought the Korean War alone is almost as silly as saying that the U.S. fought WWII alone.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2010, 11:30:38 pm »

The Iraq-Syria border has frequent border skirmishes because they just hate each other.

Do they work around the minefields, and did these start to spring up again after the UN deemed it acceptable to pull peacekeeping forces out, or what?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2010, 11:52:28 pm »

Saying that the U.S. fought the Korean War alone is almost as silly as saying that the U.S. fought WWII alone.

But they did.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2010, 11:54:52 pm »

But they did.

Yeah, no.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2010, 11:56:58 pm »

But they did.

Yeah, no.

I was referring to both wars, but hurr durr you need a certain detector.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2010, 11:58:47 pm »

But they did.

Yeah, no.

I was referring to both wars, but hurr durr you need a certain detector.

Again, no, we fought alongside the british, french, and others during the war in Europe. The war in the Pacific was mostly alone, but we did have friends in the Phillippines and china.

Take D-Day for example and stop being so ignorant about history.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2010, 12:08:06 am »

hurr durr you need a certain detector.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2010, 12:09:26 am »

hurr durr you need a certain detector.

It certainly didn't seem like sarcasm, if thats what it was suppoused to be.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2010, 12:09:59 am »

It should have been obvious when he came right out and told you.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2010, 01:16:57 am »

It's a fairly large hint.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2010, 01:25:03 am »

Am I the only American here who has taken US history courses in high school and college and has learned basically jack shit about the Korean war? Everything I ever learned about the 50s had to do with the development of suburbia, of car and consumer culture, rise of the US as a superpower but without ever mentioning Korea. As for wars we jump straight to Bay of Pigs.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2010, 01:27:00 am »

War isn't the best course of action here. Nor will it be the likely result of North Korea's renewed hostilites. We don't know all that much about NK, but what is known seems to indicate the thing they need most is food. The children growing up there now have been called "The Stunted Generation", because they don't have enough nutriants in their diets to reach full height. The effects of this childhood malnutrition will likely never leave them.

That is what should be focused on. South Korea has already cut all trade to NK. I really hope our own government dosen't trade with NK. Japan trading with NK seems unlikely, given the racial tension between the Koreas and Japan. This only really leaves China and humanitarian aid to help NK feed itself. If we wanted to be recklessly agressive about it, we could tell China that if they want their debt back, all trade with NK stops at once. It might work, it might not. We could also take a less agressive stance to stoping their trade with NK, but damned if I know what it could be. As for humanitarian aid, while I don't really like the idea of starving mislead people to destablize their oppresive government, NK has been getting more and more insane over the years. They need to go down soon, one way or another. It may be best to forcably keep aid organizations restrained in regards to NK for a while. Next, the DMZ should be heavly renforced to the point where a ground attack on it by the eventualy desprate NK would be utter suicide. If all of this can be done, and that isn't very likely, then North Korea would be starved to death. They would either collapse or give up, depending on potental rebellion groups and how far gone Kim-Jong-Il really is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2010, 02:47:12 am »

we could tell China that if they want their debt back, all trade with NK stops at once.

I lol'd at the idea of trying to use your own debt as leverage against your benefactor.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2010, 02:52:26 am »

Yeah, it'll be all

US: "We won't pay you back if you don't help us!"
China retaliates.
Everyone points and laughs at America.

Also, Europe would probably do something as well to get the message across to America that that's an enormously fucking stupid thing to have done.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2010, 02:59:40 am »

It would be like going to the bank and saying "Bitch, I'm not going to pay my mortgage anymore until you stop helping out my worst enemy Sam".

And then they take away your house and Sam keeps on being a happy guy.

China wouldn't 'retaliate', though. They would just stop being nice to the US by giving them loans and things.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17