Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Corvette meets torpedo. Now with naval tactics and stuff.  (Read 14564 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corvette meets torpedo, or: Koreas hate each other, again.
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 06:15:33 pm »

Uh...guys...

The only 'limited' war that you guys might be discussing about that would not require US intervention are the petty naval skrimishes that North Korea and South Korea periodically fight, because of a dispute over a naval border. And those skrimishes are already happening. I don't think anybody is really going to care about that.

EDIT: Except...er...it was the destruction of the ship in the disputed naval territory that actually led to this thread being posted in the firs tplace...er...It's still not something to be so panicky about.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 06:30:15 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 07:08:21 pm »

Given that both sides are threatening open warfare, I'd have to disagree with you on that one, SC. The Korean war never ended. The treaty that was signed was merely a cease-fire of indefinite period, not a peace treaty. South Korea and the United States are still in a state of war with North Korea. If full scale war is opened again, the US will definitely have to provide at least military support, if not full military intervention. By support, I mean things that aren't extremely risky. Air bombings, shelling from battleships, cruise missile strikes. Things unlikely to lead to American casualties. Of course, we would have to defend our military bases in South Korea if it came to that.

My suspicion is that, if War is declared, South Korea would simply steamroll North Korea due to actually having, you know, equipment, and training on how to do more than march in military parades.

China would not get involved with the US. Absolutely not. We're too valuable a trade partner for China to risk.

In any case, My grandfather still has his Korean war uniform. I should ask him if I can have it.
!!&!!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 07:23:35 pm »

China would not get involved with the US. Absolutely not. We're too valuable a trade partner for China to risk.
By "important trade partner", you mean "the US owes us too much money", right?

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 07:51:44 pm »

By "important trade partner", you mean "the US owes us too much money", right?

Can't it be both?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 08:16:44 pm »

We have insured our continued importance by making it so that our successor needs to keep us alive or they lose everything.

Edit: That's how you do it western Europe.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 08:21:58 pm »

No peace,and no country lasts forever.Better to get this shit done between north and south Korea sooner than later.
Don't think there going on the war march just yet,though.Kim-jong is still happy showing off his missile tests.

NK versus SK would be a proxy war anyway. It's the Americans against the Chinese, except via the Koreas.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 08:37:39 pm »

China wouldn't do anything that would piss us off too badly, and vice versa. They will eventually want their $9 trillion back, you know (Or however much it is by now). We can't be too much in opposition.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 08:57:30 pm »

We don't have that, they live and die on promises and dreams now.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 09:24:32 pm »

I have a hard time believing NK would pose a real problem as far as conquering it goes. The US could wipe out its leadership and what little infrastructure it has in a day or two, and any lingering resistance once it's decapitated could probably be defeated with t-shirt guns and free sandwiches... :/
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 09:50:27 pm »

You underestimate an army of guys brainwashed from birth.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 09:54:21 pm »

NK wirr use nukrear wreapons. I love how Kim Jung Il talks.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 11:58:12 pm »

Man, it takes a certain level of arrogance to say that your army could bulldoze North Korea despite them having 1.21 million extremely loyal troops who are, despite what people seem to be saying, quite well trained. Even more arrogant to assume they won't just detonate their nukes off the coast of their own countries, slaughtering your soldiers once you get close to them, seeing as how we think it's so difficult to fire them across the pacific ocean into the Western Seaboard, or into Japan.

Yep, you guys are thinking this shit through.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 12:10:33 am »

The US could wipe out its leadership and what little infrastructure it has in a day or two, and any lingering resistance once it's decapitated could probably be defeated with t-shirt guns and free sandwiches... :/

You're joking, right?

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 12:30:05 am »

Even if they have loyal troops you can't fight fight a war without supplies and infrastructure, or at least not for long. The first Korean war and Vietnam war only lasted so long due to both sides receiving foreign material support.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2010, 12:30:39 am »

The US could wipe out its leadership and what little infrastructure it has in a day or two, and any lingering resistance once it's decapitated could probably be defeated with t-shirt guns and free sandwiches... :/

You're joking, right?

That or an idiot.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17