Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Corvette meets torpedo. Now with naval tactics and stuff.  (Read 14496 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Corvette meets torpedo. Now with naval tactics and stuff.
« on: May 25, 2010, 02:23:55 pm »

As you  might've heard, some time ago a South Korean corvette has been sunk by, as the recent investigation proves, a North Korean torpedo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROKS_Cheonan_sinking
The NK denies involvement, despite investigators having recovered parts of said torpedo, and calls it a slander.
Some sources point out that the sinking could be a revenge action for the naval skirmish which happened in november last year.

After a conlcusive evidence has been found, South Korea suspended all trade relations with NK and announced it'll resume "psychological warfare" against it's northern neighbour, meaning mostly renewed propaganda broadcasts over the demilitarized zone.

NK responded with putting it's army on high alert.

Exactly a year ago, North Korea unilaterally withdrawn from the armstice of 1953, leading to a renewed state of war between the two nations.

What do you think, my good people? Is this a begining of an open war in the Korean peninsula? In such case, would NK be willing to use it's newly acquired nuclear arsenal? Maybe it's acquisition emboldened them so that they feel they can take on their old enemies without fearing a sneak attack from China?
Could this really be a slander manufactured by the SK, maybe? Maybe they feel a need to get rid of that troublesome twin of theirs, before the North expands it's nuclear arsenal to something more than barely flying rockets and low-yeld warheads.
Do you think Kim Jong-il would risk heavy economic sanctions just to get some "revenge"? Perhaps the nation needed a show of patriotic action to stay calm?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:04:27 pm by Il Palazzo »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corvette meets torpedo, or: Koreas hate each other, again.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 02:29:39 pm »

My goodness, I hope this doesn't get out of hand. I heard that North Korean scientists recently learned how to manufacture "magic death wands" and tanks that fly using the souls of the downtrodden!

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 02:29:52 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:05:27 am by SIGVARDR »

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:31:08 pm »

No peace,and no country lasts forever.Better to get this shit done between north and south Korea sooner than later.
Don't think there going on the war march just yet,though.Kim-jong is still happy showing off his missile tests.

This.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 02:39:13 pm »

It doesn't help that N Korea has been a belligrent a-hole for a long time. I'm sure there were other times where things got bad enough that it looks like there would be a new Korean War, but I haven't heard of any within my lifetime.

Still, things are much different than what it was over 50 years ago. For one, China is likely to be on our side (or neutral, depending), communism is dead despite there being a hybrid of sorts in China and Vietnam is still communist I think, technology has greatly changed, the US is much more powerful, and numerous other things.

Also, given the unpredictability of N Korea (besides the regieme being a near constant belligrent a-hole) and the fact that they have escalated things lately makes the whole situation even more dangerous.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:41:06 pm by smjjames »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:41:15 pm »

I'll admit that I don't know much on the subject, but does the US have any reason or right to get involved in two foreign countries disputes?

I mean, not that that's stopped them before but still.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 02:43:44 pm »

We do have an obligation to defend our allies, and Japan, who is our ally, is right next to Korea. Still, we have a very long history in that region, so there are many reasons.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:47:10 pm »

Taking down the North Korea military is easy, the hard part is keeping North Korea from becoming another Somalia.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 02:48:40 pm »

We do have an obligation to defend our allies, and Japan, who is our ally, is right next to Korea. Still, we have a very long history in that region, so there are many reasons.

Does Japan need defending? And how does having previous dealings in a region give the US the right to go to war with either side?

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:04:50 am by SIGVARDR »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 02:49:33 pm »

They are? Well, that answers that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 02:51:25 pm »

Does Japan need defending? And how does having previous dealings in a region give the US the right to go to war with either side?

I'm not a historian on the Korean war and the history involving it, I just know what I've learned in history class.

Edit: I was probably thinking on a different tangent than you were.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 02:51:33 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:46:11 am by Stany »

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 02:52:49 pm »

We have been helping out south Korea ever since the Korean war,and we have a few bases stationed up there.They are our ally,and we most certainly would get involved.

quoted:"Following the ceasefire, South Korea and the U.S. agreed to a "Mutual Defense Treaty", under which an attack on either party would summon a response from both. Currently, the U.S. Eighth Army, Seventh Air Force and U.S. Naval Forces Korea are stationed in South Korea. The two nations have strong economic, diplomatic and military ties, although they have at times disagreed with regards to policies towards North Korea."
Not to mention we're still technically at war with North Korea.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 02:54:09 pm »

Japan has no military.  Sure, they've got the SDF, but they don't have a real military.  If someone attacks Japan, then America has a duty to protect them because they were responsible for the whole demilitarization deal (i.e., General MacArthur wrote it into their new constitution after WWII).

I think there's some kind of actual treaty going on, but I'm not too sure on that one.  In any case, if Japan starts drawing fire than the USA is going to have to help out in some form or another.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17