Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d as a newbie?  (Read 1029 times)

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d as a newbie?
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:21:03 pm »

Being pretty new with dwarf fortress, I have been having some technical problems and with .04 (not to mention I can't get dwarf therapist or maydays tiles to work)  and have been reading numerous bugs. 

Should I just learn on 40d or would I be missing out too much on the new features?  What version do you recommend a newbie learn with?

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d as a newbie?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:23:13 pm »

well .04 has bugged military system, bugged marksdwarvesm, bugged doctors, immortal titans, and other pretty horrendous bugs.  That said it's pretty cool.  But as for learning you're better off with 40d for a while prolly.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:55:04 pm »

Yeah, unless you want to learn the military/burrow system, it's better off understanding the basics in 40d. If you tend to have rendering issues on even small maps, you may want to give .04 a shot. The opengl is pretty sweet. Just make sure to cap your fps, and to turn off the FPS monitor. I almost had a seizure seeing my FPS jumping from 100k to 970k.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:58:25 pm »

haha lol ok i'll keep that in mind!

One thing I noticed right off the bat is that farming in 40d is so much easier!  I don't have to muddy loam just to plant a farm, makes getting started a much quicker process.

Can't wait for newer releases, but like you guys said, better stick with 40d until I get the mechanics down.. thanks for the advice.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:41:12 pm »

Vegetta, what does the fps-meter say?
ITS OVER NINE THOUSAND

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 04:59:13 pm »

Vegetta, what does the fps-meter say?
ITS OVER NINE THOUSAND!
not anymore. a ton of migrants just came.  :(
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »

I play .03. less buggy than .04

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:19:36 am »

haha lol ok i'll keep that in mind!

One thing I noticed right off the bat is that farming in 40d is so much easier!  I don't have to muddy loam just to plant a farm, makes getting started a much quicker process.

Can't wait for newer releases, but like you guys said, better stick with 40d until I get the mechanics down.. thanks for the advice.

You don't have to in .04, either. The notice only applies to underground crops.

Unless you mean planting on underground loam. In which case, yes, that is kind of annoying. >>
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

TheDarkEnigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:58:51 am »

Trust me here: Stick with 40d until you're good and veteran, because 31.xx will break you in so many ways otherwise.

Military is bugged, farming is bugged, hunting is bugged, military is bugged, hospitals are bugged, FPS count is usually way way lower due to like 100 additional (unneccesary) Z levels, patrolling causes the game to crash from time to time, did I mention military is bugged? It's seriously bugged! Also wrestling was nerfed so hard that now Dwarves can't even hope to kill anything without military training (which is bugged) a full suit of copper/steel armor and a steel bladed weapon.

Think of it like this: 40d is the 'normal' mode, 31.xx is 'insane'. There is no hard. There is no easy. There is only 'on' and 'holy fuck, that was my arm!'.
Still, even with the bugs, once you know DF well switching to 31.xx is worth it. Taming giant eagles can make you a very happy person.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:25:13 pm »

Trust me here: Stick with 40d until you're good and veteran, because 31.xx will break you in so many ways otherwise.

Military is bugged, farming is bugged, hunting is bugged, military is bugged, hospitals are bugged, FPS count is usually way way lower due to like 100 additional (unneccesary) Z levels, patrolling causes the game to crash from time to time, did I mention military is bugged? It's seriously bugged! Also wrestling was nerfed so hard that now Dwarves can't even hope to kill anything without military training (which is bugged) a full suit of copper/steel armor and a steel bladed weapon.

Think of it like this: 40d is the 'normal' mode, 31.xx is 'insane'. There is no hard. There is no easy. There is only 'on' and 'holy fuck, that was my arm!'.
Still, even with the bugs, once you know DF well switching to 31.xx is worth it. Taming giant eagles can make you a very happy person.

Well put! lol

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 12:51:37 pm »

Does anyone think it odd that I have yet to run into any bugs?

Maybe I'm just SuperDwarvenly Tough and am immune to the bugs ^_^
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.