Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unicorns!  (Read 2241 times)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unicorns!
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:56:48 pm »

So I just embarked yet again in 31.04 to find the perfect cavern to settle into, and picked a site with a minor river and waterfall.  Looking across the river from my dwarves I see a bunch of U's.  "Strange" I thought "Wild humans?".  No, they are Unicorns.. I hadn't noticed it was in a good biome.

Now how do I go about getting some unicorn roasts and leather helms that menace with spikes of horn?  They'll wander off the map if I take the time to build cage traps, but will they come back if I don't hunt everything else on the map?  I don't think 3 copper axes are enough to take one down without injury, and in any case that only gets me one helm and not much food.  Can they be lured with bait animals?

Also I absolutely must sacrifice one into the magma pool, then make statues and idols of it and sell them to the elves.  Just to crush their spirits before the magma rises through the floor grates and ends them all...
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorns!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:01:46 pm »

Don't worry about sending them off-map. They'll be back, and in greater numbers. Build some cage traps for when another herd shows up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:15:44 pm »

Poor, poor you. Since ranged hunting doesn't work, good luck killing them before you have iron weapons and trained soldiers :). Thats only my experience though, since they slaughtered my fort the first time my wagon spawned near them. Watch out.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:01:01 pm »

Build cage traps.  Unicorns will run from dwarves unless enraged, so you can set up a line of cage traps and a funnel of walls and have some dwarves chase the unicorns into the traps, or just wait till they wander in randomly.  Then you can either build an elaborate slaughterhouse where the wild unicorns are released into a maze of weapon traps, or once you have a dungeon master tame them and start a unicorn ranch.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 02:09:41 pm »

I don't think they can be tamed without modding.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:22:51 pm »

Considering you need a dungeon master to train most anything these days, yes, a dungeon master or a quick line of editing will probably be needed to train unicorns.

Most everything, including creatures such as wolves raccoons have the [PET_EXOTIC] tag on it (though I just noticed above ground bears still have the standard [PET], go figure), you'll have to change the [PET_EXOTIC] tags to [PET], or add it if the animal is not normally trainable at all, to any animal you want to train.  You can add [TRAINABLE] too if you want war-unicorns.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 03:19:59 pm »

Actually, I just checked and unicorns no longer have either [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC], so they can't be tamed at all.  That's a change from 40d, and doesn't make much sense to me.  On the other hand they do now have children defined, so they should breed, assuming untameable wild animals are still capable of breeding.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:31:14 pm »

Actually, I just checked and unicorns no longer have either [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC], so they can't be tamed at all.  That's a change from 40d, and doesn't make much sense to me.  On the other hand they do now have children defined, so they should breed, assuming untameable wild animals are still capable of breeding.

They didn't have it in 40d either.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:38:57 pm »

I've noticed wild animals breed in 40d thanks to the pheasants in the dig deeper mod never leaving the map. If it still works in 31.0boob you should be able to devise a containment system that also allows isolation and butchering.
I'd suggest a 2-story underground chamber with retracting bridges as floors in multiple 3x3 rooms separated by lever-operated doors., letting them wander normally most of the time, this will allow you to catch individuals, especially children which would otherwise be locked in a cell with their mother, on their own.
Since pitting untamed animals is dangerous, I'd suggest building their cages in a separate room and releasing them via lever, so that no dwarves need to be present at the time of release.

Or you could just make them trainable via modding, but that's no Fun.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 09:04:52 pm »

Or you could just make them trainable via modding, but that's no Fun.

Yes, that's why you make them have a fire breath attack that causes your fortress to burn down hilariously later when your Attack Unicorns fend off a goblin siege.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 02:45:01 am »

..I think I just got a player mood.

Need... raws..  need.. magma breath weapon..   Dorf3000 has claimed a notepad!
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

TheDarkEnigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 03:01:33 am »

Wouldn't rainbow breath be more fitting for unicorns? It could have the same effect, just be prettier and deeply emotionally scar anyone who witnesses it.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 05:16:03 am »

Is it possible to make a disease with positive effects?

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 05:58:50 am »

One that grows your dorfs EXTRA feet would be nice, and it would offset a bit the high loss rate due to ambushes, sparring and Fun Beast blood syndromes...

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 10:13:39 am »

Is it possible to make a disease with positive effects?
One that gives dwarfs euphoria perhaps, but paralyzes their face into a terrifying eternal smile?
Pages: [1] 2