Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farming Mod  (Read 1888 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Farming Mod
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:44:22 am »

I would like to make farming take up more space by making food plants take longer to grow. Where in the RAWs can I change this?

Edit: Added the solution here at the top.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:55:53 am by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:37:16 pm »

The file is plant_standard.  The tag you want to change is [GROW_DUR:XXX].  Plump helmets and pig tails currently have a GROW_DUR of 300.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:59:16 pm »

Which I believe is 25 days.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 03:11:31 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Time might come in handy if you wish to be exact.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:52:54 pm »

I think you meant this: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Time
The wiki is confusing. Whoever has made that DF2010: didn't know how the things work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:57:23 am »

Are there any ways to adjust the growing time of the above-ground plants? Are they tied to the length of the other plants? Is the lack of a Growdur tag just meaning it is defaulting to another number, or is something there that is set in stone?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 11:16:47 am »

Are there any ways to adjust the growing time of the above-ground plants? Are they tied to the length of the other plants? Is the lack of a Growdur tag just meaning it is defaulting to another number, or is something there that is set in stone?

It just defaults. I think it's on the order of around 1200. Just add the tag with whatever value you like.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:04:05 pm »

I'm experimenting with GROWDUR myself. One of the pitfalls I ran into was that anything with a GROWDUR longer than its seasonality will simply vanish once it's out of season; this makes it impossible to harvest. In other words if a plant is seasonal for spring and summer, and your GROWDUR is long enough to go into autumn, you get nothing.

So if the wiki and my math are correct (and either one could be wrong :p), a season is roughly a GROWDUR of 1008. So as a rule of thumb you should not have a GROWDUR higher than 1000*(the number of seasons available). If you want plants to take many months to grow, make sure to give them an extra season.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:32:31 pm by KFK »

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:50:22 am »

You are correct. The solution is to have it's "growing season" all the active ones, but it eliminates the usefulness of the mod for sharing, since people might not understand that it has to be planted at the start of the season. Alas, this means modding farming to be useful isn't easy.

Here's my rough mod. Replace Plant_standard with this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 02:49:53 am »

Enh, share it anyway, and explain it the best you can. I'm much happier with these longer growing times, and I think lots of people will enjoy playing this way. Heck, I just experimented with crops that take slightly more than a year to mature (GROWDUR:4180). As long as all four season tokens are set, it seems you can have crops take as long as you like. This was just an experiment, I'm not sure I'd actually go that far...but then again maybe there's something to be said for crops that take 18 months, forcing you to marshal a broader range of food sources.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 03:21:05 am »

This was just an experiment, I'm not sure I'd actually go that far...but then again maybe there's something to be said for crops that take 18 months, forcing you to marshal a broader range of food sources.
Faced with that, I would just make a larger farmland and it would, eventually, equal out.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 05:18:38 am »

Incidentally, a lower rate of plants ripening to be harvested also means a lower rate of skill gain for planters, and a need to take more food on embark.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 05:32:32 am »

Right now I'm running a fort only using longland grass at Growdur 2500 and spring, summer and autumn seasons. It makes for very busy farmer populations and a lot of munched rats.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

namragog

• Bay Watcher
  • How many woods can a wood wood chu- Wait, no...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 07:21:50 am »

wait, so the higher GROWDUR is, the longer it takes to farm, but also, it increases exp gain?
Erarngumrash!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 10:54:24 am »

wait, so the higher GROWDUR is, the longer it takes to farm, but also, it increases exp gain?
No. EXP gain only comes from planting and harvesting. Growdur only increases the time it takes to harvest.

My little "spoiler" above contains a new plant_standard that makes plump helmets, strawberries, and pig tails food take about 6 months to grow, and the rest taking a little more than 8 months to grow (this is the same ratio as it currently is, just stretching time out)

What this does is makes your fortress require more space to feed the same amount of dwarves, since your farmland is occupied for at least two full seasons on a single harvest, rather than 3 harvests a season. That means you need to do six times more farming than you'd usually do.

This way it takes more than a single farm tile to feed a dwarf. The exact amount of tiles required depends on the skill of your growers. Dwarves require about 8 food a year. This makes at most 2 harvests a year, meaning with legendary growers you only have a surplus of 2, which doesn't provide much room for making drink for the dwarves. So with this, 2-3 tiles PER DWARF and only for food production is a good rule of thumb. This is greatly different from how a 5x5 area could feed and provide drinks for an entire fortress with legendary growers.

Make sure to take enough food to last the growing season, and enough seeds that your first harvest can supply you until your next one.
Pages: [1] 2