Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Farming Mod  (Read 1891 times)

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
Re: Farming Mod
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 01:31:55 pm »

This was just an experiment, I'm not sure I'd actually go that far...but then again maybe there's something to be said for crops that take 18 months, forcing you to marshal a broader range of food sources.
Faced with that, I would just make a larger farmland and it would, eventually, equal out.

Anyone I've seen try to tackle the farming issue with mods has pretty much resigned themselves to the idea that changes to the basic mechanics are needed.  Anything you can do with raws eventually evens out given enough farmland.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 09:01:19 pm »

This was just an experiment, I'm not sure I'd actually go that far...but then again maybe there's something to be said for crops that take 18 months, forcing you to marshal a broader range of food sources.
Faced with that, I would just make a larger farmland and it would, eventually, equal out.

Anyone I've seen try to tackle the farming issue with mods has pretty much resigned themselves to the idea that changes to the basic mechanics are needed.  Anything you can do with raws eventually evens out given enough farmland.

But isn't that the point? To increase resource input needed to survive?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 10:44:02 pm »

Have you considered making crops inedible, then feeding a bunch into a custom workshop to put out a single food item? That should dramatically increase the required farmland, and the required farmers as well.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 10:50:25 pm »

Have you considered making crops inedible, then feeding a bunch into a custom workshop to put out a single food item? That should dramatically increase the required farmland, and the required farmers as well.
It also sounds like a pain in the ass if it can't be automated.

KFK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 11:16:45 pm »

But isn't that the point? To increase resource input needed to survive?

What Forsaken is getting at [and I agree] is that isn't as insurmountable as it should be.

I think it's a step in the right direction though. If it takes 18 months to get a single harvest of Plump Helmets, then you'd need to plant 18 times as many plots to have business as usual.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 10:14:36 am »

It also sounds like a pain in the ass if it can't be automated.
Unless there's some bug I'm unaware of, automation of reactions is a current feature. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Reaction#Reaction_Modifiers
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 10:39:02 am »

A problem here, is that reactions have a devil of a time finding things that are in bags and barrels. You can make workarounds, with custom stockpiles however.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 06:07:59 pm »

My goal: "given enough farmland.

If I could make it take 5 tiles to feed a single dwarf for a year with a adequate farmer, That means it'd take about 10 10x10 plots to feed 200 dwarves. I like that. that is what I am aiming for. That feels much better when it comes to designating farming.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

KFK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 03:19:42 am »

To hit that target,  set the fast staple crops like Plump Helmets to around 2240, and everything else to 3600.

Personally, I'm going for 1 year crops (4032) and 18 month crops (6048).
Pages: 1 [2]