Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven jealousy?  (Read 1736 times)

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Dwarven jealousy?
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:59:41 pm »

Do Dwarves feel jealous of their superiors? I have a dwarf who is very unhappy after only about 30 seconds of play. His only moods are:Urist Mcgrumpy has been very unhappy lately. He took joy in slaughter lately. He talked with a friend lately. He was irritated to be forced to talk to a pillar of society recently.

He has no grudges against anyone. Is this a jealous thought?

I have moded the noble raws, The leader is Dwarf Chief, who is succeeded by the Head Dwarf upon death (turns out it doesn't work in fort mode mode). The jealous dwarf is the head dwarf and he is in a military squad under the chief dwarf, and right after they both killed a Hydra he had these thoughts. (The Hydra didn't even touch him so it wasn't that)

I have never seen this thought before, has anybody else and is it related to my moding?
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven jealousy?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:26:02 am »

Well according to the wiki, some nobles get jealous but it only speaks about quality of rooms...

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Noble

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 03:13:15 am »

Odd. Is there anything in his personality that would suggest he doesn't like crowds, pillars of society, or socialization? Maybe he hates attending parties, or something.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 03:19:08 am »

I think there is a personality facet that deals with acceptance to authority.

Obviously, this particular dwarf hates authority figures and some time on a period of mutual off time he had to talk to the Cheifian dude and got a bad vibe from that facist pig.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:16:34 am »

Looking at the string dump, the "pillar of society" thought seems to be brand new, and it has 6 different levels: "disgusted", "upset", "irritated", "pleased", "ecstatic", and "bathing in awe". Almost certainly related to the dwarf's personality and invoked when talking to nobles.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:45:43 am »

Probably has to deal with his personality preferences.  He probably has a high liberalism stat.  Good to know we have new thoughts associated with the way personalities are.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 05:35:13 pm »

Liberals?  So instead of Dwarf Fortress we'd have a Dwarf Commune?

igless

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 06:51:04 pm »

liberalism =/= Communism

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 07:58:49 pm »

Liberals are pro-government, remember? Those are the guys that raise taxes and expand the scope of responsibilty of the government.

Obviously this dwarf is some sort of reactionary libertarian anarchist.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:18:29 am »

Liberals are pro-government, remember? Those are the guys that raise taxes and expand the scope of responsibilty of the government.

-head->desk-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 12:09:19 pm »

Unfortunately he threw a tantrum right as the second summer hit, he killed the Chief, the planter who was on break, and he broke various bones of bystanders in my meeting well. I checked his personality and he did seem to be quite liberal.

I think I may mod liberals out of my game, this kind of sucked.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 01:39:23 pm »

Can you post his personality profile? I didn't know there was a personality trait measuring respect for authority.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 03:01:48 pm »

Isn't it just "doesn't like authority and tradition" as it reads in-game? I've had this a few times too - very annoying when a migrant comes in and they haven't had a chance to use my uber dining room. This "hate pillars of authority" thought hits their happiness hard.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 03:16:51 pm »

Unfortunately he threw a tantrum right as the second summer hit, he killed the Chief, the planter who was on break, and he broke various bones of bystanders in my meeting well. I checked his personality and he did seem to be quite liberal.

I think I may mod liberals out of my game, this kind of sucked.

Like some kinda LCS terrorist action.