Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barracks & Equipping  (Read 850 times)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
Barracks & Equipping
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:37:18 pm »

Has anyone figured out how the "Individual Equip" and "Squad Equip" options on barracks work in the new version? Or even have theories about how it's supposed to work?

Does it interface with stockpiles in any way?

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barracks & Equipping
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:49:29 pm »

The better skilled your aresnal dwarf, the better.  Also, in my experience, if a particular soldier likes an item, he may not even wait for the arsenal dwarf to do his job.

I had a miner/maceman that would immediately stop what he was doing to "pickup new equipment" the moment a new fun piece of armor was made.  And I mean hot off the presses--he'd come running immediately.  he is now completely decked out in fun armor.  He will even drop old fun armor for better quality fun armor the moment its available.  In his stats, it says he likes adamantine among other metals.  None of my other soldiers do that, and in some cases it has been a pain to get them properly equipped.

This... grabbing of armor was before the arsenal dwarf was even aware the armor had been made.

The arsenal dwarf needs organization and book keeping skills.  If you appoint someone with neither it may be a very long time before anyone equips the special items you have designated.  Your best bet is to have the arsenal dwarf have few if any other tasks, and let me endlessly go through equipment manifests and upgrade squad equipment.

It also may be a good idea to have one dwarf be manager and arsenal dwarf, since the record keeping skills overlap.

I've found that if you leave it set to just metal and mixed, the arsenal dwarf will periodically update what the squads will wear.  In my experience, a better quality item will take precedence to a better material item.  I have had dwarfs drop a -steel shield- for a *copper shield*.  So be careful with what you have laying around, and mercilessly trade away or dump lesser MATERIAL quality items as you can.  Keep in mind though a +bronze shield+ is better than a plain steel shield.  Usually I do not have to do too much micromanaging unless I want someone to get a specific weapon or fancy jeweled armor piece.
igless

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »

Speaking of which, how does one raise the organizer skill?  Bookkeeping is easy.

D_Malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:19:36 pm »

Only by the Manager and Arsenal Dwarf nobles, unfortunately. Not hard to do, but it seems to take a long time to gain any useful amounts of experience this way.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:41:33 am »

Speaking of which, how does one raise the organizer skill?  Bookkeeping is easy.

assign as manager, queue up a lot of tasks, wait for him to approve all the tasks.

managers get organization xp when they approve something (goes from red X to green check in the job management screen)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 01:22:33 am »

Has anyone figured out how the "Individual Equip" and "Squad Equip" options on barracks work in the new version? Or even have theories about how it's supposed to work?

Does it interface with stockpiles in any way?

I individually equip every soldier with specific assigned weapon and armor.
I don't seem to have a problem that way - and the arsenal dwarf has no other jobs ever except to equip soldiers.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:37:45 am »

I always set my manager and arsenal dwarf to be the same dwarf, as they both use the "organizer" skill. Once he has reached a decently high level, it really is no business approving anything. My arsenal dwarf can make equipment manifests and upgrade equipment actions as fast as my smiths can make the equipment, so my soldiers are always running around in the best gear available.

Organizer skill isn't terribly hard to raise, to be honest. The problem is just that it doesn't automatically go up: You have to tell your manager to grind it. I usually just que up a page worth of 30 milling actions when I won't need any new equipment or other managing actions, and that gets it up pretty fast. Then I just delete them once they're approved, since I don't need anything milled.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 09:47:57 pm »

Organizer skill isn't terribly hard to raise, to be honest. The problem is just that it doesn't automatically go up: You have to tell your manager to grind it. I usually just que up a page worth of 30 milling actions when I won't need any new equipment or other managing actions, and that gets it up pretty fast. Then I just delete them once they're approved, since I don't need anything milled.

You can queue up a 1x Collect Webs job just by pressing q, Enter, Enter.  Very fast.  And I always either suspend the collect webs job in every loom for safety, or I have auto-collect-webs turned on for efficiency, so I'm not adversely affected either way.

I believe that a 1x job gives the manager the same exp as a 30x job.